Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been confused figuring out my type due to early emotional and verbal abuse interfering with my development. I don't know what part of me are shadow functions and what parts are natural strengths anymore. I also don't know what weaknesses are a part of my anxiety issues that can be made to go away and which ones are natural weaknesses.

There's a LOT that is going into this confusion so now I'm trying to tackle it piece by piece. I've read a ton on JUST the judging functions and was hoping to get some help because i'm still finding some contradictions between what i use and don't use. Am I misinterpreting some functions? How? And after that, what do you think I actually use? Thank you for any help anyone can provide.

Fe
- When i'm with people i'm comfortable with or want to impress or in a good mood, my facial expressions can involve my full face usually. My voice can highly fluctuate with emotion too. I can have pretty exaggerated expressions. My eyes widen, my forehead scrunches.
- I'm sensitive to criticism and highly sensitive to other’s needs/wants.
- I tend to mimic people's behaviors, adjusting my gestures, expressions and communication style according to what they're putting out and what i think would fit with their style.
- I take up other people's emotions and problems as my own rather automatically, getting frustrated when they can’t solve it.
- i've always really yearned for external harmony, belonging to a group and connection with others.
- I also yearn for expression in most of my life - arts, tattoos, very interested in making my clothes and attire and room be symbols to convey my feelings on things and the way my mind works.
- In the past i’ve purchased things just to fit in with a subculture. I go through phases where i like to think of myself as being a part of something (counter cultures like punk, burners, hippie, etc.) and frame my beliefs to myself according to those larger groups.
- i don’t see how ethics can be decided reasonably without external context - to me, culture seems to dictate ethics or what is considered “right” and so ethics seem highly relative to circumstance, time, place, relations, etc. I’m highly skeptical of “absolute” inherent value.

Fi
- When i'm not comfortable with someone or in a bad mood i tend to close up my emotions and speak in monotone.
- After performing socially or being with friends for an extended period of time i sorta need to be left alone.
- I often can decide whether i like or dislike something right away, and have difficulty sitting through something i don’t like without becoming cynical, critical, dismissive.
- When i have strong emotions about something, I have much more difficulty caring or thinking about what the other is feeling - I just get totally consumed by what i'm feeling in reaction to that idea or thought that they're conveying to me and then tend to feel strongly no matter what the other feels/stop caring about looking for signs of what the other feels. I try not to show this, however and struggle to appear engaged/collected.
- When i feel something, it’s important for me to express that personal individual feelings on whatever it is that triggered it.
- I often question these tests and classification systems because putting people into boxes seems to be restricting to individual potential. This may be why i have such trouble classifying myself, other details always seem to refuse to fit in. I also find it silly when people argue over what genre something is or how something should be classified.

Te
- I need to talk my ideas out to others and get their approval in order to confirm their validity.
- I love making lists, charts, organizing my workspace. Without that my mind becomes cluttered and overwhelmed/easily distracted. I've got a keen sense of spatial organization to prevent that.
- When i'm putting ideas and thoughts into execution, i have difficulty stopping because i feel so charged by the action of getting things done.
- Details annoy me unless they’re relevant to the task at hand. I’m completely unable to remember them. Theory is also impossible for me to grasp without real examples to illustrate.
- My learning is goal-oriented. I don’t want to know an entire system at first because that makes it way harder for me to grasp.
- I see the value in consensus because i am highly aware of the subjectivity

Ti
- When i talk, i'm not learning or making breakthroughs as i talk.
- I prefer to work in individual rather than group projects because I want to have full control. Having full control both helps me understand/learn better and helps me have breakthroughs easier. Other people tend to distract or throw off my thinking process and how i’m putting parts together.
- When i learn something, i really need to know how it relates to every part around it in order to really absorb/understand it and remember it. Something learned in isolation is meaningless to me.
- I tend to dive into one or two ideas very deeply at a time, so much so that when i'm studying and thinking about that idea, everything else i encounter in my life becomes filtered through the lens of that idea.
- My thinking process is not usually pragmatic but more personal. Something makes logical sense to me if personal experiences can be used as evidence. Otherwise it’s just an abstraction.
- The scientific method appears fallible to me and external consensus seems relative to time, place, culture. Therefore, theoretical systems seem far more timeless to me (even though i have difficulty learning theory without tangible real-life examples and I think those theoretical systems also need to be put to external consensus, albeit with attention to cross-cultural, time period, etc application)
- I have difficulty debating, presenting directions, facts, etc.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
You sound like you use Ti and Fe more, to me. I'm thinking you might be an ISTP, but I'm not sure since you said you like to keep your workspace organized and you like making lists.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
you sound like you could be INTP or even INFJ The fact that you feel this way

i don’t see how ethics can be decided reasonably without external context - to me, culture seems to dictate ethics or what is considered “right” and so ethics seem highly relative to circumstance, time, place, relations, etc. I’m highly skeptical of “absolute” inherent value.

and this way:

The scientific method appears fallible to me and external consensus seems relative to time, place, culture. Therefore, theoretical systems seem far more timeless to me (even though i have difficulty learning theory without tangible real-life examples and I think those theoretical systems also need to be put to external consensus, albeit with attention to cross-cultural, time period, etc application)

say you likely use Fe and Ti

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Fe
- When i'm with people i'm comfortable with or want to impress or in a good mood, my facial expressions can involve my full face usually. My voice can highly fluctuate with emotion too. I can have pretty exaggerated expressions. My eyes widen, my forehead scrunches. (yup, Fe)
- I'm sensitive to criticism and highly sensitive to other’s needs/wants. (yup, Fe)
- I tend to mimic people's behaviors, adjusting my gestures, expressions and communication style according to what they're putting out and what i think would fit with their style. (This doesn't quite have to be Fe - more of just adjusting yourself in ways that might serve as a form of self-protection, although it can be Fe)
- I take up other people's emotions and problems as my own rather automatically, getting frustrated when they can’t solve it. (definitely Fe)
- i've always really yearned for external harmony, belonging to a group and connection with others. (Fe)
- I also yearn for expression in most of my life - arts, tattoos, very interested in making my clothes and attire and room be symbols to convey my feelings on things and the way my mind works. (Fe - I see this a lot with higher Fe types)
- In the past i’ve purchased things just to fit in with a subculture. I go through phases where i like to think of myself as being a part of something (counter cultures like punk, burners, hippie, etc.) and frame my beliefs to myself according to those larger groups. (Yup)
- i don’t see how ethics can be decided reasonably without external context - to me, culture seems to dictate ethics or what is considered “right” and so ethics seem highly relative to circumstance, time, place, relations, etc. I’m highly skeptical of “absolute” inherent value. (Fe)
Fi
- When i'm not comfortable with someone or in a bad mood i tend to close up my emotions and speak in monotone. (self-defense mechanism - not a cognitive function)
- After performing socially or being with friends for an extended period of time i sorta need to be left alone. (not at all Fi - just withdrawing from Fe activities)
- I often can decide whether i like or dislike something right away, and have difficulty sitting through something i don’t like without becoming cynical, critical, dismissive. (Fe knows what it likes - it just can't predict what it will like until it experiences something, unlike Fi)
- When i have strong emotions about something, I have much more difficulty caring or thinking about what the other is feeling - I just get totally consumed by what i'm feeling in reaction to that idea or thought that they're conveying to me and then tend to feel strongly no matter what the other feels/stop caring about looking for signs of what the other feels. I try not to show this, however and struggle to appear engaged/collected. (that's just a normal response to strong emotions - Fi is a cognitive function, not emotional experiences - you're using Fe to avoid showing this though)
- When i feel something, it’s important for me to express that personal individual feelings on whatever it is that triggered it. (that's not Fi expression, just emotional expression - two completely different things)
- I often question these tests and classification systems because putting people into boxes seems to be restricting to individual potential. This may be why i have such trouble classifying myself, other details always seem to refuse to fit in. I also find it silly when people argue over what genre something is or how something should be classified.
(you're just using logical reasoning to do this - this isn't Fi)

Te
- I need to talk my ideas out to others and get their approval in order to confirm their validity. (this is Ne, not Te - Te is not about extroverting ideas, it's about extroverting logical reasoning)
- I love making lists, charts, organizing my workspace. Without that my mind becomes cluttered and overwhelmed/easily distracted. I've got a keen sense of spatial organization to prevent that. (This might just be a way for you to prevent your obvious dominant Ne from getting out of control - you're not really experiencing Te)
- When i'm putting ideas and thoughts into execution, i have difficulty stopping because i feel so charged by the action of getting things done. (getting things done has nothing to do with Te, and I have idea what idiots keep spreading this misinformation - wanting completion is just a drive - that's it - it has nothing to do with cognitive functions - how the hell does this have anything to do with impersonal logic (Te) is totally beyond me) - as I've said a billion times before, the cognitive functions are not skill sets - they're mental perspectives
- Details annoy me unless they’re relevant to the task at hand. I’m completely unable to remember them. Theory is also impossible for me to grasp without real examples to illustrate. (inferior Si and maybe just you not having a good grasp on your logic functions - you being a visual learner or not very intellectual - I don't know, but this has 100% nothing to do with Te, ROFL)
- My learning is goal-oriented. I don’t want to know an entire system at first because that makes it way harder for me to grasp. (goal orientation has nothing to do with Te - anyone can want to set goals and do it successfully - this is just stupid MBTI mumbo-jumbo - you just sound like a visual learner)
- I see the value in consensus because i am highly aware of the subjectivity (LOL, what!? Te doesn't agree with people to avoid subjectivity - it's not even about agreeing with people - it's about relying on externally established methods of logic to make sense of things)
Okay, so I already have you typed as an ENTP, based on your post on the Pe/Pi functions, and this just further confirmed it for me. You don't consciously use Te or Fi (and can't, since the shadow functions are unconscious), but you clearly use Fe and Ti. The fact that you clearly don't really "get" Fi and Te seems to be a major giveaway also. If Ne's your dominant function and Si is your inferior, your only type choice is ENTP, which you fit pretty clearly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, after confirmation from various forums and more research i'm certain I have an FeTi dominates the way i look at the world. Thanks guys! Now I just need to figure out my perceiving functions

1 - 6 of 6 Posts