Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helloo! Growing up I've always wanted to be an actress and I had all sorts of wacky dreams. Now I realize that although there are so many things to do in life, I might have to close a couple of windows to get the big door open. I'm determined to make something of myself. I'm interested in psychology but don't think I would enjoy being a clinical psychologist. I'm a talker, not a listener but I'm very observant. I'm not the best talker though because I get nervous with public speaking! I just can't do it unless it's scripted. I'm interested in Human Resources but my dad says anyone can do that. I'm absolutely against anything I.T related, if that helps! Medicine and Law are also things I cannot see myself doing. My dad wants me to be a journalist, but I'm not big on writing so that's a no no. I'm interested in being an entrepreneur but I don't know if I'm up for it. I can see myself being good selling things to people, or making good advertisements? I like to think of good ideas to move forward. What to do, what to do... Please help by telling me your take on things, and if you're an ENFP, I'd be so interested to know what you're doing at the moment and how you feel about it! :) Thank you all!

·
Auntie Duckie
2,720 Posts
College is a good environment to try things that you are not sure if you would like, and to try things you "don't" want to do to push yourself out of your comfort zones. I think you'll find that your professors passion for their subject will get you thinking. In addition, College life gives you a chance to mature a bit more on your own, while still having some structure.

Give it a shot and try not to look at it as things you don't want to do. Look at it as an opportunity to try something out, and then decide if you like it or not.

-ZDD

·
Registered
255 Posts
Okay, so you're in college. What year are you in? What year are you supposed to declare your major? Does your school have any general education/elective courses you can take to fulfill credits as well? If you answered yes to the last two questions and you can manage to take a wide variety of elective courses, you still have some time to explore your options and figure out where you're going, because one day, something else will click.

You've also ruled out medicine, law, and IT. Do you prefer humanities or sciences? If you're interested in entrepreneurship, would you want to major in business so you could learn how to manage your own enterprise? If you're not a STEM major (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) and prefer the humanities instead, the major that you choose in college isn't as important, because the jobs that non-STEM majors end up in don't always correlate strongly with the job they're in.

When you're in college, it's also good to get involved with extracurricular activities and organizations because that can give you a strong idea of what your strengths are. Being in lectures and writing term papers isn't teaching you as much as getting involved in a volunteer organization or group and learning to work with people. I've gotten involved with one of the newspapers on campus, and now I'm seriously thinking of journalism school after college.

Don't worry. There are lots of people who are in the same boat as you and end up doing something completely different than what they had first expected. One of the English teachers I had in high school was originally going to be an astrophysicist.

If you can't narrow down the major you want to do, start with the list of majors you are interested in, and that list can be as long as you want. Read about the classes you want to take and the possible career options they may involve. You're an ENFP, which means that one of your strengths is working with people, so rule out the ones that involve sitting at a desk job and crunching numbers.

But really, the best thing to do is to take a wide variety of classes in college and go with whatever sparks an interest in you.

You're young, you still have time. :)

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
This'd be a little easier if you list off the reasons why YOU like and dislike the professions you're interested in.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
one thing i would say is that don't shy away from public speaking because you aren't good at it at the moment.. not one single person is ever good at public speaking straight off the bat, and we all gain confidence by experience- whether that be in school, college, work, etc. it doesn't matter. up until the age of 16-17 i was the worst at public speaking, i got all nervous and sweaty, my hands would shake, i would blank out in front of the entire class. then i took a public speaking course at school (compulsory), and because i got so much practice in i started getting good at it and came 2nd in the class. now, whenever i get a presentation to do at uni i think "awesome, mine will be the best in the class, because i know how to do this", and it usually is (imo :p). whenever you see someone give a great talk, remember that they learnt to do this at some point in their life.

my goal is to go into marketing/advertising. it employs psychology and creative ideas together, which is why i love the idea. whenever i was in a creative school project i always became the leader because i was the one coming out with ideas- by the sounds of it, it might be worth looking into for you too?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
College fields that draw ENFPs and seem to make the largest number of 'em happiest - yes, this is a generalization! - include marketing, communications, English Lit, creative writing, drama & psychology. (But, of course, there are a few ENFPs who love "non ENFP-typical fields" like accounting, medicine or applied math.)

·
Registered
825 Posts
This nailed it in the head for me and it might help you too!

ENFP careers | 16 Personality Types

But I'm one of those random ENFPs in @NaughtyChimp's description that like IT and computers sciences, so I might not be the best person to take advice from! xD

What helps me is something that definitely has a lot of team projects and social interaction with my colleagues. Also, quick turnaround for projects or a steady stream of new tasks helps.

Finding something you're passionate about will make things more fun.

Definitely put yourself out there to see what you're interested in. :3

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oh man, I was an English/Philosophy double major. I liked English better but that was because I had an AWESOME professor. And don't let anyone tell you you can't get a job with that...I'm less than two years out of college and already making a solid salary.
If I could do it over again I'd do graphic design though. I'm currently taking online classes. For real, find out what you like then go with that.
I found an interview from Thomas Keller that struck home with me as a young adult worrying about my future. Basically he said don't go with something that you just have passion for. Passion waxes and wanes and some days it's hard to get up and be just as passionate as you were the first day. Find something you have a desire to achieve. That won't fade. Even on days you don't want to get out of bed, your desire can drive you to get up and actually go. Of course, passion helps ;)
He said it better than me, just google "Thomas Keller passion" until I can post links, lol.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've been working on starting a business, but I have so many ideas. I don't know which one to focus on.
I kind of want to do everything. You need a lot of Business Capital to start off with tho. Raising funds would take forever.

I'm also into making music, but it's pretty hard.
I like to read a lot of psychology books too, mostly self-improvement, but all the technical types of books and data bore me.

What I find is that I do a lot of Journalism things everyday without even trying to.
Like I would check out new music releases every single day, and post it on forums, blogs, etc
I would watch a movie and write a review on it, or watch movie trailers and post the interesting ones on my blog
I would play videogames and write a review on it,
I would look at photography and art and post it on my blog
I would check out new technology/products and post it on my blog and share it with people
And also if there's any interesting news on TreeHugger | Your source for green design & living news, commentary and advice I would share it with people
Anyways,
Since I'm always doing that kind of stuff, It kind of makes me want to be a Journalist. I think it just fits me

I guess you should look at your hobbies and the things that you do on a regular basis everyday.
Like, what do you do when you're bored, and don't have anyone to talk to?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts