Personality Cafe banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
ENTP
252 Posts
Most of the stereotypes fail for me, if anyone was trying to type me in person based on common stereotypes they'd get it wrong. Because the stereotypes are frequently based on incorrect data.

Stereotypes often present ENTPs with something like the following: They are extroverted, optimistic, versatile, and spontaneous. Playful, high-spirited, and practical, they can also misapply their many talents, becoming over-extended, scattered, and undisciplined. They constantly seek new and exciting experiences, but can become distracted and exhausted by staying on the go. They typically have problems with impatience and impulsiveness.

They're also painted as being chatterboxes who get caught up in nattering on about their own passions regardless of the listeners interest, and having suave confidence with an egotistical edge.

Yet that quote and characterisation is about Enneagram 7, something frequently seen as interchangeable with ENTP because of how common type 7 is with ENTP (or 3 to a lessor extent). It's not an accurate representation of Ne-Ti with the exception of Ne being enthralled by possibilities.
I don't think his cruel actions was related to type.
infj have a a strong sense of internal right and wrong. When they feel something strongly they will do it to the best of their ability. Good or bad. Jesus was infj too. Hitler is talked about like the most evil person in history but there were much worse people. The British were killing everything and anyone they could for centuries, the Americans were hanging black people in their own country for community entertainment, carpet bombed Vietnamese villagers shortly after.....rant over, hopefully you get the picture

Yes personality type doesn’t mean you’re going to be a good or bad person, but it does explain how you will act, or the extent of your goodness or badness relative to your cognition

·
Premium Member
39,424 Posts
infj have a a strong sense of internal right and wrong. When they feel something strongly they will do it to the best of their ability. Good or bad. Jesus was infj too. Hitler is talked about like the most evil person in history but there were much worse people. The British were killing everything and anyone they could for centuries, the Americans were hanging black people in their own country for community entertainment, carpet bombed Vietnamese villagers shortly after.....rant over, hopefully you get the picture

Yes personality type doesn’t mean you’re going to be a good or bad person, but it does explain how you will act, or the extent of your goodness or badness relative to your cognition
nah

·
Registered
ENTP
252 Posts
So you’re just gonna say that but nothing have a single counter point?

It’s facts that many “allies” did far worse atrocities that hitler between 1880 and 1980 (so 50 years before or 50 years after)

History is written by the victors is best applied to hitler because it’s like everyone said “Loool he killed 6 million Jews” but don’t talk about the millions the allied countries mercilessly butchered just for more money.

To scapegoat hitler as the worst human to ever exist is complete rubbish

If you have anything to say to that appear from “N-a-h” then I would love to hear it

Well if you don’t think mbti explain behaviour you’re on the wrong website. For example I’m entp. The reason I do bad things in life is because I have poor sensing and feeling functions. Feelings don’t make sense to me. So I’ll often make decisions disregarding mine and the other persons emotions. Because to me emotions change and are unimportant....

So people are like “it’s not what you said it’s how you said it”

That just doesn’t compute with me

·
Registered
peronsality
513 Posts
Submission or being "too bland".
I speak up and I actually tend to be a leader, but yes, I guess my introversion makes me feel exhausted after a while of managing people.

·
Registered
INTPish (549)
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Entp and I haven’t seen a stereotype yet I don’t suit 😂
I feel that way about being an Enneagram 5. But that community is different than Myers-Briggs. I'm not even sure one could say that there are widespread stereotypes about the Enneagram types.

·
Registered
ENTP
252 Posts
I feel that way about being an Enneagram 5. But that community is different than Myers-Briggs. I'm not even sure one could say that there are widespread stereotypes about the Enneagram types.
I’m a strong 5 too....🤔
Enneagram is different, I think the only stereotypes are we like to have our own space to gather our information, from what I’ve seen so far

·
Premium Member
39,424 Posts
So you’re just gonna say that but nothing have a single counter point?

It’s facts that many “allies” did far worse atrocities that hitler between 1880 and 1980 (so 50 years before or 50 years after)

History is written by the victors is best applied to hitler because it’s like everyone said “Loool he killed 6 million Jews” but don’t talk about the millions the allied countries mercilessly butchered just for more money.

To scapegoat hitler as the worst human to ever exist is complete rubbish

If you have anything to say to that appear from “N-a-h” then I would love to hear it

Well if you don’t think mbti explain behaviour you’re on the wrong website. For example I’m entp. The reason I do bad things in life is because I have poor sensing and feeling functions. Feelings don’t make sense to me. So I’ll often make decisions disregarding mine and the other persons emotions. Because to me emotions change and are unimportant....

So people are like “it’s not what you said it’s how you said it”

That just doesn’t compute with me
-I don't think Hitler was in it for the money, I suspect he was jelly of the Jews, because THEY have a good handle on money, got good jobs, and besides Hitlers upbringing sucked, which might have been the most important factor of all- he saw his own mother being beaten up!
-There have existed many cruel acting humans in world history but Hitler was sertainly up there on the top of the list somewhere in cruelty scale
-While your MBTI statement might contain some level of truth; people should not solely explain onces own failure away and blame it on MBTI. This is in fact known as an immature psychological defence mechanism called "blaming" (Along with other mechanisms such as acting out.) As an adult you are now allowed to practice more mature defencemechanisms such as using humor, art or acceptance.
-Your type may however be related to Helen Fishers Thinker or Director type which is primarily influenced by Testosterone and Dopamine and to a lesser degree Serotonin and Estrogen-Oxytocin.
.-Feelings and values are more important to me then logical facts. Therefore maybe you should try to see the good in it instead of rejecting it.

There you go. I hope this was more fun for you then my compromized answer "Nah".

·
Registered
ENTP
252 Posts
-I don't think Hitler was in it for the money, I suspect he was jelly of the Jews, because THEY have a good handle on money, got good jobs, and besides Hitlers upbringing sucked, which might have been the most important factor of all- he saw his own mother being beaten up!
-There have existed many cruel acting humans in world history but Hitler was sertainly up there on the top of the list somewhere in cruelty scale
-While your MBTI statement might contain some level of truth; people should not solely explain onces own failure away and blame it on MBTI. This is in fact known as an immature psychological defence mechanism called "blaming" (Along with other mechanisms such as acting out.) As an adult you are now allowed to practice more mature defencemechanisms such as using humor, art or acceptance.
-Your type may however be related to Helen Fishers Thinker or Director type which is primarily influenced by Testosterone and Dopamine and to a lesser degree Serotonin and Estrogen-Oxytocin.
.-Feelings and values are more important to me then logical facts. Therefore maybe you should try to see the good in it instead of rejecting it.

There you go. I hope this was more fun for you then my compromized answer "Nah".
You didn’t have to reply 😂 I just argue for it’s own sake. To see if I can be wrong. I’ll argue with myself for the fun 😂
Upbringing is as unreliable of indicator of future behaviour as mbti if you’re gonna use that argument 🤔
My dad is INFJ, he witnessed his dad be abusive. He was abusive to me, not my mum. But in his head he justifies it according to his internal feelings. As if he is incapable of understanding what he did was wrong. Likewise hitler witnessing abuse and war made him justify parts of that in his head.
ive never heard anyone say “I want to be a Jew”
Even Jews complain about how hard it is being a Jewish 😂
So if he wasn’t in it for the money he wouldn’t be jealous of the Jews for having money
They did run his country into the ground, but it has much to with the occult and the true history of Jews and how much of their culture is based on lies. I’m not being anti Semitic, just many of their stories have been proven to be lies historically....like the Passover but I digress

If we made a list based on death totals I’m not sure hitler would be top 10....but that’s a whole different argument for another day. Point is, he wasn’t the first or last to commit mass genocide based on racial purity. America is still trying to get over the whole slavery thing 400 years after it started, hitler didn’t do anything close to that bad

I’m using mbti because many of the Bad habits people have are grouped together in the personality group. Because the brain processes information in the same way. Therefore if an infj experiences trauma they will react in the similar ways to another infj.

all “an adult” means is that you’re of a certain age. There is no magical age where a person becomes “mature” or perfect. They still make the same type of mistakes, just sometimes more or less mistakes. Based on childhood trauma. Once the personality is set in early childhood, people don’t really change

I wouldn’t call it blaming, it just explains why certain people act why they do. Because the brain is like a computer with set processes. It processes differently for the 16 personality types. There are some particular things one type would do that another would never do

Yeah you right, I’m addicted to dope and serotonin is abhorrent to me. I’m trying figure out how to maximise vasopressin release so I can bypass oxytocin or at least better pretend to enjoy it in others.....

yeah,my problem is not that I don’t feel, it is that I don’t know how to control my emotions also my Se is in the toilet so it’s hard to understand my environment as it really is because my Ne is too dominant. My environment growing up wasn’t enjoyable so I developed a strong sense of detachment. So feeling is just too painful to me....I wish I could feel like others do but you can’t be good at everything in this life

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w6 Sp/Sx 593
1,546 Posts
@Electra I don't know if there is a "Top List" for cruelty.
I'm pretty sure the Holocaust Prison Camp guards were just as (if not more) cruel as Hitler was, and they were just regular people (and probably of multiple types).
Anyone is capable of violence and doing cruel things. After all, you can convince people to do pretty heinous things when you convince one side that they have moral superiority over the other.
Anti-semitism has been around for a long time, including Germany well before the start of WWII. They were an easy scapegoat to blame the loss of Germany in WWI on, and he didn't even invent the idea.

That is why most people argue that Hitler is an INFJ. He uses Fe as a tool to to get what he wants, and reflects the sentiments of the country.
The function the dominant function "wields" is the secondary function. They are connected to one another.
He also had crazy ideas about himself. He thought that his artwork was groundbreaking, and that he would be easily accepted into the University he applied for.
He didn't get it, but his whole worldview was concerned about how his artwork was intrinsic to his own character (inferior Se), and strangely had many of his previous works destroyed after his rise to power.
I'd say that this was because he found his artwork to be a representation of his failures (also inferior Se), so purging them was sort of like a fresh start.

I didn't focus on Ni, because Ni is hard to describe and pin down.
But he most likely utilized Fe to rally people to his cause, and held deep insecurities about himself.
These insecurities are something he could not separate from the sometimes sensory things he took part in, such as art, which can be evidence of inferior Se.
Hopefully that helps shine some light on the topic. INFJs can be pretty insecure, and are just as capable of bad acts as anyone else.

To get back on topic, I really dislike the stereotype that INTJs are these edgy people who are the smartest people on the planet.
I like to plan a routine, and to work and adapt it whenever I need to. But I hate the "mastermind" label, as I don't find it that accurate.

Reactions: MoStoner12

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
After all, you can convince people to do pretty heinous things when you convince one side that they have moral superiority over the other.
Less moral superiority and more, permission to be heinous by authority figures. Luckily, there are decent people in the world who balk, who have backbone.

Look to the Trump years as an example of such. Since Trump gave people permission to be heinous, idiots released their inner asshole.

·
Registered
peronsality
513 Posts
but Hitler was sertainly up there on the top of the list somewhere in cruelty scale
e the Holocaust Prison Camp guards were just as (if not more) cruel as Hitler was, and they were just regular people (and probably of multiple types).
Anyone is capable of violence
Can I... like... recommend a text that speaks exactly about that?

In summary:
"What enabled the perpetrators to carry out these gross acts? Evil is not banal. Quite the contrary: violence has infused even the most subtle social and political nuances of the country from which it was born. This is why mass killings could take place with remarkably little psychological trauma for the perpetrators. Afterwards, most perpetrators denied feeling responsible or guilty (...) even in cases of atrocity and genocide".

No leader can be blamed on everything: "Mass killing involves high levels of complicity, and people from all walks of life proved themselves to be capable". But, of course, authority is still important as shown by the Milgram Experiment, quite interesting (and disappointing) to see how people usually decide to inflict pain when an authority asks them to. Many people feel it as a moral obligation, rather than a moral weakness. Bourke also talks about the "eagerness to kill" during a conflict:
"Men who failed to translate their battle experiences into a positive narrative of personal transformation or rite of passage simply went mad".
"Flight-Lieutenant D. M. Crook, described the ‘moments just before the clash’ as ‘the most gloriously exciting moments of life'" - he was a British fighter pilot during WWII.

Anyway, in case someone was interested, I think it's pretty necessary to keep this in mind.

OP-
I hate when INTPs are portrayed as nerds and encyclopedia lovers.

Attachments

·
Registered
ENTP
252 Posts
@Electra I don't know if there is a "Top List" for cruelty.
I'm pretty sure the Holocaust Prison Camp guards were just as (if not more) cruel as Hitler was, and they were just regular people (and probably of multiple types).
Anyone is capable of violence and doing cruel things. After all, you can convince people to do pretty heinous things when you convince one side that they have moral superiority over the other.
Anti-semitism has been around for a long time, including Germany well before the start of WWII. They were an easy scapegoat to blame the loss of Germany in WWI on, and he didn't even invent the idea.

That is why most people argue that Hitler is an INFJ. He uses Fe as a tool to to get what he wants, and reflects the sentiments of the country.
The function the dominant function "wields" is the secondary function. They are connected to one another.
He also had crazy ideas about himself. He thought that his artwork was groundbreaking, and that he would be easily accepted into the University he applied for.
He didn't get it, but his whole worldview was concerned about how his artwork was intrinsic to his own character (inferior Se), and strangely had many of his previous works destroyed after his rise to power.
I'd say that this was because he found his artwork to be a representation of his failures (also inferior Se), so purging them was sort of like a fresh start.

I didn't focus on Ni, because Ni is hard to describe and pin down.
But he most likely utilized Fe to rally people to his cause, and held deep insecurities about himself.
These insecurities are something he could not separate from the sometimes sensory things he took part in, such as art, which can be evidence of inferior Se.
Hopefully that helps shine some light on the topic. INFJs can be pretty insecure, and are just as capable of bad acts as anyone else.

To get back on topic, I really dislike the stereotype that INTJs are these edgy people who are the smartest people on the planet.
I like to plan a routine, and to work and adapt it whenever I need to. But I hate the "mastermind" label, as I don't find it that accurate.
I’m pretty sure infps are statistically smarter than
Can I... like... recommend a text that speaks exactly about that?

In summary:
"What enabled the perpetrators to carry out these gross acts? Evil is not banal. Quite the contrary: violence has infused even the most subtle social and political nuances of the country from which it was born. This is why mass killings could take place with remarkably little psychological trauma for the perpetrators. Afterwards, most perpetrators denied feeling responsible or guilty (...) even in cases of atrocity and genocide".

No leader can be blamed on everything: "Mass killing involves high levels of complicity, and people from all walks of life proved themselves to be capable". But, of course, authority is still important as shown by the Milgram Experiment, quite interesting (and disappointing) to see how people usually decide to inflict pain when an authority asks them to. Many people feel it as a moral obligation, rather than a moral weakness. Bourke also talks about the "eagerness to kill" during a conflict:
"Men who failed to translate their battle experiences into a positive narrative of personal transformation or rite of passage simply went mad".
"Flight-Lieutenant D. M. Crook, described the ‘moments just before the clash’ as ‘the most gloriously exciting moments of life'" - he was a British fighter pilot during WWII.

Anyway, in case someone was interested, I think it's pretty necessary to keep this in mind.

OP-
I hate when INTPs are portrayed as nerds and encyclopedia lovers.
“I hate when INTPs are portrayed as nerds and encyclopedia lovers”

right after they give the most nerdy encyclopaedic answer possible 😂

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w6 Sp/Sx 593
1,546 Posts
@Nannerl
Yeah, interesting read. I always find it curious that people entirely blame Hitler for the atrocities committed, but you'll find that people all around the world have committed something similar one way or another.
I think it's a testament to human nature, rather than some cruel leader. Of course, authority plays an aspect to it, but I think a sense of moral justification is more powerful.
I'm pretty sure there are plenty of soldiers who did not really care about the country they were serving, but did cruel acts because they simply found the other side morally reprehensible.
Or, they just liked the thrill of the chase, and it made them feel powerful.

@MoStoner12
I don't remember stating that INFJs are smarter?

·
Registered
ENTP
252 Posts
@Nannerl
Yeah, interesting read. I always find it curious that people entirely blame Hitler for the atrocities committed, but you'll find that people all around the world have committed something similar one way or another.
I think it's a testament to human nature, rather than some cruel leader. Of course, authority plays an aspect to it, but I think a sense of moral justification is more powerful.
I'm pretty sure there are plenty of soldiers who did not really care about the country they were serving, but did cruel acts because they simply found the other side morally reprehensible.

@MoStoner12
Chill, white people love to say that “well everyone did similar awful stuff in history” but I fail to see where sub saharan Africans took white people on ships from Europe to Africa and whipped them for hundreds of years or put white people is human zoos....there’s levels, just because you don’t study it in history doesn’t mean it didn’t happen

I don’t remember stating infjs are smarter, I fail to understand how infjs even statistically smarter. Speed on an iq test is often considered and it is said infjs are slow learners but good pattern spotters...anyway....

·
Registered
peronsality
513 Posts
right after they give the most nerdy encyclopaedic answer possible 😂
That awkward moment when you're sarcastic and you don't know if someone not getting it is being sarcastic or not... There should be a word for this. hm.
Anyway, haha 😂 Let's say you got it because even if you didn't, I don't think you would miss the opportunity to deny it.
Yup, Bourke takes some testimonies WWII soldiers gave about this exactly. They had to enjoy it, the ones who didn't went literally mad:
"Time and again, we hear the broken voices of combatants who could not ‘take it’ anymore. These were men whose starkly emotional sentences attested to how ‘the sights cannot cannot be explained in writing. Writing is not my line. No fighting either For them that wants to let them fight Because I will never like it no no never’, as one stammered from his hospital bed (Unnamed soldier in Scholes, no date)."
white people love to say that “well everyone did similar awful stuff in history”
I get your point, I can also feel annoyed if a "white" person (that's too ambiguous) says "every culture has done it" as a way of justifying some historical event Europeans (and related) did, but you can't go the other way either and say everyone else is a saint. I mean, it's less about justifying the people who committed atrocities, and more about amplifying the range and understand that many others did and do as well, and that they need to be just as responsible.

And now that you mentioned Africa, Rwandan Genocide? And that's just one (incredibly bloody and sad) example.

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w6 Sp/Sx 593
1,546 Posts
Chill, white people love to say that “well everyone did similar awful stuff in history” but I fail to see where sub saharan Africans took white people on ships from Europe to Africa and whipped them for hundreds of years or put white people is human zoos....there’s levels, just because you don’t study it in history doesn’t mean it didn’t happen

I don’t remember stating infjs are smarter, I fail to understand how infjs even statistically smarter. Speed on an iq test is often considered and it is said infjs are slow learners but good pattern spotters...anyway....
Okay, I don't really know where this is suddenly coming from, but I did happen to study some of these things (wanting to get a History major).
For example, the Arab Slave Trade was also a large scale slave trading operation. It was also on a far larger scale, and lasted for several centuries.
Before European contact in Africa, communities such as the Yao of Mozambique, fought with each other and frequently traded slaves that were won through conflict and war.
Also, in Canada, First Nations groups along the Pacific Coast practiced slavery, which also was a hereditary title that was passed down from generation to generation.
Of course, this doesn't diminish the horrific nature of the Atlantic Slave Trade. But we are talking about human nature here, I don't see how bringing race to the discussion benefits it necessarily?

I’m pretty sure infps are statistically smarter than
I don’t remember stating infjs are smarter, I fail to understand how infjs even statistically smarter
Now I'm confused.

Reactions: Nannerl
41 - 60 of 89 Posts