Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently watched 12 Angry Men (adored it) and American Psycho (meh). I absolutely loved The Shawshank Redemption and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and I kinda-sorta liked The Shining.

I'm thinking of The Godfather, The Passion of the Christ, and The Silence of the Lambs. I like inspiring movies, movies that make you think, suspenseful movies, courtroom movies, and scary movies. Or just a damn hilarious comedy (I loved My Cousin Vinny and The Birdcage).

Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I don't care for Jack Nicholson much, but I also love One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest and its unexpected ending.

Oceans 11 is a favorite of mine. Its a very smart but fun movie in my opinion, as are the sequels, oceans 12 and 13. Gladiator is a somber but moving film, along with the less well known Requiem For A Dream.

For comedy I would urge you not to pass up 21 Jump Street--it deserves every word of its praise.

Reactions: bubblePOP

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
The Godfather I &II and the Silence of the lambs are amazing movies.
I would also recommend you Fight Club, Alien , Seven .

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
If you like movies that make you think:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Da Vinci Code
The Usual Suspects
Primer (confusing as fuck the first time you watch it, but give it a chance)
Mulholland Drive

If you do get a chance to watch any of these, I'd love to know your opinion. c:

Reactions: nightmerism

·
Registered
363 Posts
If you like movies that make you think:

The Da Vinci Code
The Usual Suspects
Primer (confusing as fuck the first time you watch it, but give it a chance)
Mulholland Drive

If you do get a chance to watch any of these, I'd love to know your opinion. c:

The Usual Suspects, that's a good one I forgot about. Keyser Söze!

·
Registered
626 Posts
The Godfather I &II... Alien , Seven .
Mulholland Drive
Out of the ones I've seen that were mentioned I like these very much. Also other Spike Jonze movies like Being John Malkovich and Adaptation and other Coppola like Apocalypse Now. Do post back with your thoughts after you watch one! (even if it's not one of these)

·
Registered
17 Posts
The good the bad and the ugly is rated as one of the greatest movies of all time and Tarantino said it was the best directed movie he has seen

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I watched First Time Felon and Conviction on youtube a few days ago (both starring Omar Epps). Off the top of my head, I would recommend Higher Learning (might be what I watch next), The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (or this), Terminator, Titanic, Clockers, Squeeze, American History X, Goodfellas, Belly, Nightmare On Elm Street, Paid In Full, O, Scarface, Juice (or this), Poetic Justice, Above The Rim, Ghost Dog, Rebound (Don Cheadle), Fallen (Denzel), Malcolm X (or this), Dead Presidents, The Body Guard, Hocus Pocus etc.

I'm in the mood for crime drama.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I like inspiring movies, movies that make you think, suspenseful movies, courtroom movies, and scary movies. Or just a damn hilarious comedy (I loved My Cousin Vinny and The Birdcage).

Any ideas? Thanks!
There are quite a few movies I can recommend. For comedy; try the Marx Brothers ("A Day at the Tracks", "A Night at the Opera", "Duck Soup"). For drama, you can try "Terms of Endearment". And, if you can, try Stanley Kubrick: Dr. Strangelove, Lolita, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, etc.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Definitely watch The Silence of the Lambs, it's a classic.

I'm not sure what genre of film you like, but Fight Club, American Beauty, Se7en, and Shutter Island are a few that just popped into my head.
All are great movies and I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
This is all I can think of now. I can highly recommend all these movies.

If you want a movie that makes you think:
V for Vendetta. It made me go to the Internet to read more about it as soon as the movie was finished.

If you want a movie that you might need to watch twice to completely understand
Memento. A mystery movie
Triangle (2009). A thriller
Mr. Nobody. A drama. It's about choices.

Movie with a genius twist:
The Prestige. A drama
The Game (1997). A thriller

I advise you to watch all movies without looking at a synopsis or trailer first. I find that both can ruin the plot of a movie. All these movies require your full attention if you don't want to miss anything (except maybe V for Vendetta).

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
seven psychopaths
melancholia
fight club
the godfather
titanic
the day after tomorrow
face/off
my first 20 million
fly away home
wild america
edward scissorhands
slumdog millionaire
raising helen
se7en
rounders
the italian job
oceans 11, 12, 13
+
+
+

·
Banned
232 Posts
Cloud Atlas - It's a very intricate movie, you have to pay full attention to it and it's 3 hrs long so you may have to watch it twice in order to notice things you've missed out the first time. It tells 6 different tales set in 6 different time periods but all of the tales and characters are in some way connected. It's also about reincarnation. The actors in the film play multiple characters -one from each era. Although they may have different personalities in each one, they're essentially the same soul. So the Tom Hanks in earliest era (late 1800's) is the same spirit/soul of Tom Hanks in the last era (23rd century) and the two characters are worlds apart. Not gonna say how they're different cause I don't wanna spoil.

Enemy - Doppelgänger film. This ones only an hour and a half I think so it's pretty quick. I remember watching the first 5 mins of the film and hating it. I decided to watch it again after about a month and I really liked it. It has a lot of symbolism and like Cloud Atlas, you need to pay attention to the little things in order to understand it fully. Plus it has the most random, surprising ending I've ever seen. ever. You may need to watch an explanation video afterwards. I know I had to, mainly for the weird symbolisms.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The Passion of the Christ is a great movie; you should watch it at some point.

I like:
- Braveheart
- Gladiator
- The Crow
- Eastern Promises
- Gran Torino
- Ever After

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
If you can find it, I recommend Crimewave. Oh, wait! Here it is!
:tongue:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts