Personality Cafe banner

What do you think?

• Forum Questionnaires(includes this site,reddit and other personality communities)

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Online Cognitive Function Tests(E.g. Key2cognition, Sakinorva)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Official MBTI test

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Getting typed by MBTI youtubers(Eg:CasualCognition,OP, CS Joseph)

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Video Questionnaire

• Visual Typing(Typing someone from their photos)

• Total voters
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
This is a cool idea for a thread.

With MBTI, I think the best way is the official test.

With Jungian typology, short of seeing an analytical psychotherapist, I think active imagination techniques is the best way ... or, just reading Jung's collected works. It would be near impossible not to arrive at one's type after reading enough Jung.

Of all of these, I think the least valid and reliable are the youtubers (not that they can't be valid ... I know a lot of people who I'd trust to type me or someone I cared about who are on YT, just not anyone offering services heh).

Reactions: Reginer

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sp/Sx) 594
766 Posts
I think the MBTI tests are not accurate at all. In fact, if we are being generous, it would be around 50% accurate if we are lucky. The dichotomies the test uses (Thinking, Feeling, Judging, Percieving, etc) are one of the main reasons so many people (including myself) have often mistyped. The only letter that is mildly useful in MBTI is I and E (introversion and extroversion), but even that revolves around a different interpretation than what introversion and extroversion traditionally meant.

In all due honesty, I think the best way to get typed is to do the research yourself, and then if you want to take the extra step, get the thoughts of multiple people with various different perspectives to type you. These don't have to be youtubers or well known figures, but I like to find people who have done their research, and can offer a different perspective. I just find that youtubers are just easier to find and get a hold of.

For example, I've been typed by Harry Murrell (Cognitive Personality Theory), and I have taken CS Joseph's personality assessment test. These two people have wildly different theories, and probably disagree with each other heavily. But despite that, I've been typed as an INTJ by both.

Harry made it very clear to me before we started that he didn't care what type I identified with before the assessment (which was INFJ at the time), and that would not affect his conclusion in any way. Lots of his questions were extremely complex, and the language he used was foreign to me. So as a result of that, I found it difficult to answer the questions in a manner that would confirm my bias.

On the other hand, C.S Joseph's assessment tries to improve the online testing process, and it eliminates possibilities (some potential answers are negated depending on your choices) as the test progresses, and you can complete the test in any order you choose. If there is a question you don't know the answer to, you can just move on and answer other questions. Often, you'll find when you come back, all of the other answers for that particular question would be removed (due to your answers on the other parts of the assessment). All in all, I think it is a pretty good assessment.

Not saying they both can't be wrong in their conclusion, but I think if you have multiple people who disagree with one another come to the same conclusion you did, it can provide a basis of support. But that does not excuse anyone from doing the research themselves.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the MBTI tests are not accurate at all. In fact, if we are being generous, it would be around 50% accurate if we are lucky. The dichotomies the test uses (Thinking, Feeling, Judging, Percieving, etc) are one of the main reasons so many people (including myself) have often mistyped. The only letter that is mildly useful in MBTI is I and E (introversion and extroversion), but even that revolves around a different interpretation than what introversion and extroversion traditionally meant.

In all due honesty, I think the best way to get typed is to do the research yourself, and then if you want to take the extra step, get the thoughts of multiple people with various different perspectives to type you. These don't have to be youtubers or well known figures, but I like to find people who have done their research, and can offer a different perspective. I just find that youtubers are just easier to find and get a hold of.

For example, I've been typed by Harry Murrell (Cognitive Personality Theory), and I have taken CS Joseph's personality assessment test. These two people have wildly different theories, and probably disagree with each other heavily. But despite that, I've been typed as an INTJ by both.

Harry made it very clear to me before we started that he didn't care what type I identified with before the assessment (which was INFJ at the time), and that would not affect his conclusion in any way. Lots of his questions were extremely complex, and the language he used was foreign to me. So as a result of that, I found it difficult to answer the questions in a manner that would confirm my bias.

On the other hand, C.S Joseph's assessment tries to improve the online testing process, and it eliminates possibilities (some potential answers are negated depending on your choices) as the test progresses, and you can complete the test in any order you choose. If there is a question you don't know the answer to, you can just move on and answer other questions. Often, you'll find when you come back, all of the other answers for that particular question would be removed (due to your answers on the other parts of the assessment). All in all, I think it is a pretty good assessment.

Not saying they both can't be wrong in their conclusion, but I think if you have multiple people who disagree with one another come to the same conclusion you did, it can provide a basis of support. But that does not excuse anyone from doing the research themselves.
CS Joseph seems to oversimplify things and use stereotypes, CPT while it is complex and all that, seems to me that he is presenting info in such a way that it only makes sense to him(if you don't read up his definition of terms btw), but I like how he tries to explain some forms of scoring on test(I think it was made to explain that, initially but developed with time beyond that), . Difficulty in YouTube MBTI is that it is actually difficult to select a source to learn from. I would actually consider them to be different theory to MBTI system(ofc developed by using that,maybe socionics and Jungian Function as a base). Although they are interesting to listen to.

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sp/Sx) 594
766 Posts
CS Joseph seems to oversimplify things and use stereotypes, CPT while it is complex and all that, seems to me that he is presenting info in such a way that it only makes sense to him(if you don't read up his definition of terms btw), but I like how he tries to explain some forms of scoring on test(I think it was made to explain that, initially but developed with time beyond that), . Difficulty in YouTube MBTI is that it is actually difficult to select a source to learn from. I would actually consider them to be different theory to MBTI system(ofc developed by using that,maybe socionics and Jungian Function as a base). Although they are interesting to listen to.
I absolutely agree on C.S Joseph, and that is one of my main criticisms of him. He often gets too subjective in his argumentation, and it gets annoying to listen to after a while.
However, I think his assessment is a step up. Probably, because he has lots of different people working on it and offering feedback and criticism to him. It is an open project.

Ever since I've taken the test, the assessment has underwent huge changes based on the criticisms of the community working on it.

I don't largely subscribe to MBTI because of the issues I labelled above. I just think the letter system it uses is inaccurate, and it primarily forms the basis of that whole theory.
So I really don't have much issue when a theory deviates from the MBTI dichotomies.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I absolutely agree on C.S Joseph, and that is one of my main criticisms of him. He often gets too subjective in his argumentation, and it gets annoying to listen to after a while.
However, I think his assessment is a step up. Probably, because he has lots of different people working on it and offering feedback and criticism to him. It is an open project.

Ever since I've taken the test, the assessment has underwent huge changes based on the criticisms of the community working on it.

I don't largely subscribe to MBTI because of the issues I labelled above. I just think the letter system it uses is inaccurate, and it primarily forms the basis of that whole theory.
So I really don't have much issue when a theory deviates from the MBTI dichotomies.
I agree. But I think it is actually better to label it as a "new name(whatever name they think is appropriate)" or Jungian Typology. Deviating from MBTI otherwise isn't much of a problem for me at all, besides the possibility of the title being misleading to beginners.

·
Registered
*NFP 852 Intellectual ambivert, amphibian, empath, strategist, mystical, anarchist, weird stuff
130 Posts
As I am concerned I do think CS Joseph explanations can help with avoiding mistyping (type grid and so on), on one condition :
you already know every function so that you can know how to navigate with autonomy. 'Cause yes his method (or the one of his mentor) is too much "simpliste" in my opinion.

The tests don't work for me, neither does Socionics. I was typed different type every single time and generally speaking,
the tests don't always make sense to me, + aren't precise enough to give me accurate results.

Some online tests seem to work better for me (see the links bellow).
Both of those tests seem more precise, I have noticed some questions are asked several times in different ways,
to verify you are sure of what you say, give you a second chance etc.

So I would still be between INFP and Enfp.
They also mention I could be ISFP as the most developped functions are Fi, Ni, Se and Ne.
Those two are the most efficient I've found online and I feel a mirror effect like no other tests before.

Hope one day I can really know my type. But in a way I'm glad I don't put myself in any box. I'm an INiFesFip !
Sure my ego likes it !

Being typed by online youtubers, that seems tricky. I would not pay 400 for being typed by Joseph.
As for other great people like Erick thor or F.James I don't know how good they are about typing.
You can have super info to offer, but it does not mean they are good at this.
I try to avoid being influenced. Then the bus test is a joke. Like so many others.
So unless we like to see typing as a game, it takes time to be sure of one's type.
Time, research. Moreover if we take into account the four sides of the mind and other concepts, we see we can really make big mistakes...

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts