·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please explain why you identify with the element you have chosen

·
Registered
898 Posts
Water. I'm a Cancer, so that's my sign/element anyway, but I identify with it because it's calming and peaceful, like me. I love going to the beach and have a natural attraction to water, too.

·
Registered
INTJ
284 Posts
Fire. Most people think of me as a fairly direct kind of person. I'm very competitive. When someone bothers me I have a lot to say about it. I will remember everything everyone tells me and when they are inconsistent I will bring it up and will not mince words.

I'm also a creative person and fire is generally associated with creation like a smith's fire, the fire sign of the tarot cards, etc.

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
With these choices, I think that on the surface I am more associated with air because I seem detached (especially to people) and easygoing, but inside I identify more with fire. In the five element theory I usually identify with metal.

I don't usually seem "fiery" on first impression because of my introversion. I don't relate to typical fire descriptions of being outgoing, but I can relate to the element in other ways. For example, when I become passionate about something, it consumes my being. I get into it completely, trying to absorb every ounce of it I can.

However, I can also get burned out easily. Sometimes this is due to me not reserving my energy well. Or sometimes I follow my impulses and make bad decisions, like a stereotypical Se user.

I'd say that my way of thinking is straight-to-the-point. My mind works pretty quickly and I've been called witty. I can also be rather blunt.

Also, I am stubborn, impatient, and competitive.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I wonder if there's a correlation between personality type and element/zodiac sign.. I've seen a few Istjs who identify with the earth sign (strong, stable, responsible etc), and my husband is Istp and he an air sign (gemini), like the poster above. Just speculating aloud.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,547 Posts
I wonder if there's a correlation between personality type and element/zodiac sign.. I've seen a few Istjs who identify with the earth sign (strong, stable, responsible etc), and my husband is Istp and he an air sign (gemini), like the poster above. Just speculating aloud.
I doubt it, honestly. That would mean that people born within a certain date range would also have to belong to the same MBTI type group.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
My birth animal is metal, my birth month is fire and my birthday is also fire, I believe.
I identify with fire. I'm emotional and impulsive. Often I don't think before I act.
I also identify with metal to a lesser degree but I don't like that.

·
Registered
IEI 417
436 Posts
@Unsainted From what I know about you, I associate you with earth!

Ever since I was very young I associated myself with water for whatever reason.. if asked to pick a favorite Greek god I would choose Poseidon, and there are some other examples but I can't remember right now.. oh and my zodiac is Aquarius apparently.
Maybe it appealed to me because it strikes me as the most powerful and versatile element, if you were to wield it.

After giving it some thought, I do think it fits me best because I'm a flexible and adaptive person, and quite resilient. I'm generally calm and go with the flow. I probably don't win anyone over with any force of character; however, give everything a bit of time and I do gently guide things towards where I want it to go. I'm not a very "fiery" person, but things can certainly become turbulent.

I think, depending on the person, different people may see me as any one of the elements.

·
Registered
ISFP, 6w5 sx/so, 613 Tritype
2,458 Posts
I always associated myself with the element of Fire because I always associated myself as with the energy or essence of life, compassion and integrity, and because of my quick temper and emotional impulses. Unfortunately what holds me off from such core traits is because of my inactive lifestyle and lack of experience, which I wish I would have.

Many associate Fire with being like blazing like crazy in parties and being the center of attention, but thats rather a shallow definition of the fire element and neither I think It's correct.

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,385 Posts
There was a post once on Funky MBTI where a submitter compared all of the 8 functions to elelements. I always thought it was pretty accurate. So here's the copy/paste version of it....

Extroverted Sensing: Fire

Fire burns bright and full of energy. Fire types yearns to do and experience. If they aren’t careful they can blaze out of control, burning too brightly and hurting themselves and others. But when controlled and understood, fire drives its types to live to the fullest and experience life fully.

Introverted Thinking: Metal

Metal begins raw and unformed, but it can be crafted it into tools and machines, building systems of gears and clockwork. Metal can be cold and hard, but the systems it can build wirr and tic tirelessly to solve problems and accomplish tasks.

Introverted Sensing: Stone

Stone is formed over time deep in the earth, but once formed it is firm and unyielding, standing strong against adversity. Stone can be unmoving and old fashioned, letting life and its opportunities slip by, but when it has found something worthwhile it will never abandon it.

Extroverted Feeling: Earth

Earth is a haven for green things to flourish. All forests start in the earth, growing tall and standing watch over the living things that reside within it. Earth can encourage growth too much, blocking out the sun and stifling the very forest within, but in moderation earth brightens the world we live in by feeding the growing things that make it beautiful.

Introverted Feeling: Water

Water is deep and mysterious, forming lakes and oceans that hold much more than their surface suggests. Water is powerful and dangerous when disturbed, raging and destroying with storms and floods, but when calm its purity and depth are cleansing and refreshing.

Extroverted Thinking: Ice

Ice is sharp and cold, but unlike metal it can re-form much more easily and fits whatever mold it happens to freeze in. Ice can be cold and harsh, hardening into an unapproachable wall, but it can also cut through uncertainty with sharp clarity.

Introverted Intuitive: Wind

Wind gusts high above the world, swirling in nebulous eddies and forming into clouds and storms. Wind is so formless by the standards of the world that it risks retreating and dissolving into itself, but when focused, its vantage point high above the earth gives it perspective on the movements and intentions of those below, seeing were they were, and were they will be.

Extroverted Intuitive: Lightning

Lightning flashes brightly but fades away just as quickly, leaping on to the next cloud or occasionally striking the earth in a momentary blaze of glory. Lightning can be aimless, its very existence depends on transit, but its tendency to seek out the highest point, the things that stand above the rest, makes up for its hectic comings and goings.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I associate fire with creativity too

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't usually seem "fiery" on first impression because of my introversion. I don't relate to typical fire descriptions of being outgoing, but I can relate to the element in other ways. For example, when I become passionate about something, it consumes my being. I get into it completely, trying to absorb every ounce of it I can.

I feel very similar

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I always associated myself as with the energy or essence of life, compassion and integrity

I really like your definition of fire, it's different from others

(the message in your signature ... it's amazing)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you're right @Stevester, it's very accurate ... thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Water. I'm a Cancer, so that's my sign/element anyway, but I identify with it because it's calming and peaceful, like me. I love going to the beach and have a natural attraction to water, too.
Ditto! Water baby here and my astrological sign is Cancer. Living in Florida and missing the beach during this pandemic. Having to make do with an old CD with the sounds of ocean waves for now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I always associated myself with the element of Fire because I always associated myself as with the energy or essence of life, compassion and integrity, and because of my quick temper and emotional impulses. Unfortunately what holds me off from such core traits is because of my inactive lifestyle and lack of experience, which I wish I would have.

Many associate Fire with being like blazing like crazy in parties and being the center of attention, but thats rather a shallow definition of the fire element and neither I think It's correct.
I've read that Fire is also associated with strength and healing/cleansing. While Water heals by washing things clean, fire also cleanses by burning away impurities.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts