Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sx/Sp)
322 Posts
In terms of manipulation, I think all types are centainly capable of it, I just think the tactics may differ between them. For my personal opinion, I would say that types who use extroverted feeling are more likely to be more manipulative. But in all honesty, try not to look at personality types for who is most likely to manipulate you, as it will end up lowering your guard.

I'll give you a personal example.

My father is an ISTP (one of the types least known for manipulation), and he is a very shrewd con-artist when he wants to be.
He is very charismatic, and is exceptionally gifted in mechanics, carpentry and welding, not fields particularly associated with manipulation. He is pretty much the archetypal "tough guy".
The problem with him, is that he lives entirely in the moment, and does not care much for the consequences of his actions once he commits them.
So naturally, he is really bad with money, and put my family in pretty bad financial scenarios, and sometimes put us in danger from street gangs because he would owe them money . If you criticized him, he would often pretend like everyything you said wasn't rational, and would just go along as usual (usually claiming that we weren't seeing the bigger picture).

During my first year of college, I won one of the top scholarships in the country. When I told my Dad over the phone that I'd won it, he seemed extremely happy, and proud even. But not even a day later, he called back and asked for the money as a "business loan" for the store he wanted to open up, and that we would be "business partners".
I knew it was bullshit, and it was probably because loan sharks were after him (it has happened before). But since I couldn't lay down boundaries, I ended up giving him my scholarship money in order to help pay them off, and to protect him from getting his teeth knocked out.

Of course, when I asked for information on where my money was going, he refused to give me specific details. For almost three years, everytime I would ask him to pay the money back, there would always be another reason to why he couldn't. He ended up closing down his store without telling me (I heard that from my younger brother), bought a new car for him and his girlfriend without telling me, told my younger siblings that I was ignoring his calls and texts (when I wasn't), etc. My Dad would also often argue that he had it worse as a kid, and therefore, every argument I about my past circumstances were ignored.
When my Grandfather was passing away from demetia at the age of 65, he would often go to great depths to explain how much he was paying for his hospital bills (my Grandfather couldn't leave a will, since he was not in his right mind, and he lost his memory pretty quickly), so I often did not pursue payment at the time, as that would be not a good time. But when he did pass away, my Dad would just go to another excuse entirely.

He even went as low as to do things like tell me that my grandmother was dying and most likely only had a few days left to live. So when I'd call her to check up on her, she would be perfectly fine (at least well enough to be washing her car outside). I don't understand why he found it useful to do something like that, except maybe to try and have power over me. When I asked him why he did that, he would just deny ill intent.

I eventually had to drop out of college because I couldn't afford it. I kept giving him chances to improve his relationship with me by helping out with my funding. But every time he'd promise to give me funds, he would just push it back again and again.
When he asked me during a conversation on how I could take responsibility and improve our relationship, I lost it on him. He called me the "asshole", and told me he raised me better.
Well, to make a long story short, it didn't end well. We don't talk much anymore. Sucks to have went through it, but that experience has made me wiser.

I didn't write this to be a sob story, I don't need pity. I just want to make sure people don't make the same mistake I did. I always figured I'd know what a narcassist would look like when I'd see one, but I ended up being played like a fiddle. Don't associate destructive traits with only specific types.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@ImpossibleHunt5 "
But in all honesty, try not to look at personality types for who is most likely to manipulate you, as it will end up lowering your guard.
" ya that was true ...

All personality types are capable of gaslighting others .... just the tools they use are different...

and your father remind of me some ISxP guy that I encounter in college.
  • He lives moment by moment (Like an Animal)
  • Care too much about physical dominance and submission
  • Unhealthy usage of Ni: Like prediction in gambling (and losing all money) (he once loosed 5000 USD once)
  • Arrogance without any substance
  • No loyalty
  • No Depth thinking
  • Sometimes extremely Paranoid

·
Registered
ISFP
1,892 Posts
@ImpossibleHunt5
I can’t believe a dad is capable of doing that to his son. I’m so sorry you had to experience that. Really, this is the type of bullshit that makes me go berserk. You deserve better.

I was curious to see what type might be brought up for this but . . Well I figured INTJs would have been #1 candidate but I think this story Hunt provided suggests that this a bit more complicated.

·
Registered
11,164 Posts
I thought 'gaslighting' was, strictly speaking, when someone denies the evidence of another person's direct senses or memory. Idk if any type is more prone to it. It seems like it would be more about which mental disorders than which mbti type, and no type is a disorder in its own right. Insert though-i-have-my-doubts-about-some-of-them joke in this space.

That said, perceivers do seem to have a unique talent for scrambling my brain. They hook into 'reality' from a whole different angle from mine.

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sx/Sp)
322 Posts
@ImpossibleHunt5
I can’t believe a dad is capable of doing that to his son. I’m so sorry you had to experience that. Really, this is the type of bullshit that makes me go berserk. You deserve better.

I was curious to see what type might be brought up for this but . . Well I figured INTJs would have been #1 candidate but I think this story Hunt provided suggests that this a bit more complicated.
Hey man, no worries. It is all water under the bridge.
But I realized it takes two to tango, and while I can blame my Dad for many things, I'm the one who enabled it. So I have to share the responsibility too.
Also, I know that children of narcassistic parent(s) often develop those traits as well, so I'm trying to be really careful in not becoming the same type of person. So no need to feel sorry for me, I just wanted to provide an example so people aren't caught with their pants down so-to-speak.

To go back to the original topic, I think honestly it's not so much about type, but more so upbringing and enviornment. If a child is raised with a caretaker who primarily assumes the victim mentality as a weapon, the child is going to often pick up on that subconciously, even if the parent and child are at odds. I think any type is susceptible to it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought 'gaslighting' was, strictly speaking, when someone denies the evidence of another person's direct senses or memory. Idk if any type is more prone to it. It seems like it would be more about which mental disorders than which mbti type, and no type is a disorder in its own right. Insert though-i-have-my-doubts-about-some-of-them joke in this space.

That said, perceivers do seem to have a unique talent for scrambling my brain. They hook into 'reality' from a whole different angle from mine.
Gaslighting is the worst form of manipulation you can think of. It's literally brainwashing in practice

it can happen both on a small and large scale.
Small Scale: Between two peoples
Large Scale: Between two countries (Propaganda )

·
Registered
Cringe Connoisseur
87 Posts
I would guess that whoever is a dom or aux of your trickster or demon functions would be most likely to effectively -- depending on the level of maturity, mental health, and empathy -- gaslight you.

Mature and mentally healthy ones will probably see right through their tricksters and demons. That or they'll be highly suspicious of them.

Too obvious? I don't know. I'm pulling this out of a hat.

·
MOTM October 2013
6,423 Posts
AKA, which type is most likely to be abusive towards others?

All of them. Or none of them, depending on your level of optimism.

Let's not tie personality types to the behaviors of psychopaths, okay?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts