Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again visionaries :)

Which philosophies do you think are overrated?

I think philosophies that might be linked with tight competition can be overrated. Life may be a race, but I see certain aspects of life as an individual journey rather than a race if that makes sense.

Note: Overrated simply means overestimated. It does not mean overrated equals unimportant.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
The karma crap makes me roll my eyes. That and basically anything about "doing the right thing." I'll tell you what the "right" thing is, it's whatever benefits me.

Although, the necessity of -appearing- nice is definitely present.

·
Registered
733 Posts
You have heard that it was said, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth". But I say to you, do not resist an evildoer. If anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. (Matthew 5:38–39)

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. (Matthew 22:36-38)

The karma crap makes me roll my eyes. That and basically anything about "doing the right thing." I'll tell thee what the "right" thing is, it's whatever benefits me. (Visionaries 355:7-9)

The Lord has spoken. Amen.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
You have heard that it was said, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth". But I say to you, do not resist an evildoer. If anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. (Matthew 5:38–39)

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. (Matthew 22:36-38)

The karma crap makes me roll my eyes. That and basically anything about "doing the right thing." I'll tell you what the "right" thing is, it's whatever benefits me. (Visionaries 355:7-9)

The Lord has spoken. Amen.
Oops, my bad.

"I'll tell thee what the "right" thing is, it's whatever benefits me"

Add that revision to the New Testament, will you.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Maaaan, Karma is instant. The idea is that you're giving to yourself.

I hate that philosophy where you have to clear up any possible misconceptions, even though you're pretty damn sure who you're correcting is just dicking around.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hate that philosophy where you have to clear up any possible misconceptions, even though you're pretty damn sure who you're correcting is just dicking around.
That philosophy is food for the brain :D I'm going to digest thaat

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I think that transhumanism is over-emphasized by society, in general. Atleast in certain ways, I think it's over-rated.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I wasn't a big fan of hedonism and karma. I mean, short-term stuffies...Ah, nvm.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Any philosophy/religion that focuses more on the afterlife than living, just seems like a waste to me. We're given such little precious time, and you want to waste it praying and avoiding tempation? (not to offend any religious people, it's cool if you do, I just don't understand the fascination on what may be rather than what is) That, and pacifism. Seriously, to say that fighting doesn't solve anything is just ridiculous. (at least to me) :tongue:

·
Registered
8 Posts
All of philosophies are overrated because they attempt to explain the absurd. Attempting to explain that which is absurd is a logical fallacy.

·
Banned
19 Posts
... and pacifism. Seriously, to say that fighting doesn't solve anything is just ridiculous. (at least to me) :tongue:
Yeah, 'violence' never solves anything. Tell that to the Dodo bird and the Passenger pigeon. Oh, and some 8 million+ Jews in the Holocaust. Violence settled THEIR fates fairly effectively.

You ought to read the original Starship Troopers book. There's a FANTASTIC treatment in there of general philosophy.

Another idea I think is complete bunk: Humans are born with an innate sense of morality.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts