Personality Cafe banner

Which would you be most willing to lose?

• Sight

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hearing

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Taste

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Smell

Votes: 8 57.1%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had to give up one of your main senses, excluding touch, which would it be? And which is most important to you?

I think that for me smell would be the easiest to give up, even though taste would probably weaken then too. But I could part with taste second anyway. I would sooner loose sight than hearing. I imagine it become somewhat torturous to live trapped in a mind with no sound connection to the outside world, and I would think that for me, it would much less disturbing to be without sight. Hearing is somehow more grounding. And besides, there's music!!

How about you?

(all types welcome of course, for voting too)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
INTP here, but it's an interesting question. In order:

Smell
Taste
Hearing
Sight

There's far more of the world to enjoy through sight than hearing IMO. I would miss music terribly, of course. Never being able to hear Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin again would be a nightmare. But I could still read, watch movies, play games, ogle beautiful women etc. It wouldn't be the same, but it would be better than a life of darkness.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Hearing for purely practical purposes. I would dread not being able to enjoy food anymore, which rules out taste and smell (the latter is actually the most important factor in enjoying food). I've learned from reputable sources that losing sight after having lived with it for years can be a devastating loss that can actually destroy people.

So, even though I enjoy music and all other parts that make hearing worth it, I think it's the easiest one to work around in modern times. I could use apps, mail and other sources to communicate. It would be hard, since it's easy to become socially isolated when you're deaf, but I think it has the best workarounds.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've already got a terrible sense of smell, so I wouldn't mind losing it completely.
I'd hate to lose sight or hearing (no books or no music? No thanks! )
(Oh and sorry if it was meant to be an INFJ-only poll, I just thought it was a fun question :) )

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I'd be glad to lose my sense of taste. I might even become a healthier person if everything tasted bland anyway.

Then I would give up my sense of smell, but I'd be sad about it, not being able to smell flowers and autumn leaves, scented candles and even my favorite fabric softener. But it would be helpful too in some ways, like not being put off talking to homeless people who haven't washed in days and smell of urine. It would have one less superficial obstacle to being kind.

Sight and sound is so difficult to choose between. To live in a silent world would be lonely I think, but to live in a world of darkness as @OneMind has said seems even worse.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I would give up taste first. Though I would miss the taste of food, there’s still texture and appearance and smell to make food pleasant.

I was going to go with smell, but that seems more dangerous than taste. :shocked: In the way that smell may be the first indicator of a fire and I can still tell if food is expired/safe to eat with smell and not have to go through the trauma of tasting it. I’d rather smell spoiled milk than have to drink it. (Though, I’m not sure how detecting potential poisons comes into play here, but I’ll take my chances :ninja: )

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Taste for me. Sight and hearing I immediately eliminated, because I think losing them would make my life exponentially harder. Taste or smell should require less adjustment. And scents/sounds are a bit cross-wired for me, so I think I would miss my sense of smell quite a lot. So taste by elimination.

Interesting question!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Taste for me; I have to agree that I would be healthier, a bit anyway. Of course, I may switch it to smell if I really think about it. I know it isn't a healthy thing, but I love the taste of Dr. Pepper and it's the first thing I think of in giving up taste, lol. Of course, there's all those delicious pasta recipes, Grandma's soups and Shepherd's Pie, Mom's cinnamon rolls and the many unique desserts I like to bake. Ugh, it's hard to let taste go! Upside: you can't blame me if I suck at cooking now!

I must say I admire those who would choose to lose sight before hearing; something brave about that, imo.

For someone who so loves to read though (and write and draw) losing sight would be the worst possible thing. But I suppose it would be pretty sad to never hear my loved ones voices again. Ah well, there's still handwriting analysis, am I right?

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Losing smell is the only one that doesn't seem devastating. Second would be taste, followed by hearing, following by sight. I value my independence of movement so highly that losing sight would seem like the end of the world (I know blind people can technically travel independently, but still...).

Also, why excepting touch? :) It is possible to lose your sense of touch and as you can imagine, it's devastating. I remember watching a show about it on the Discovery channel or something. A woman had lost all sense of touch except for on her forehead. Her fine motor skills were really poor, and it was impossible for her to walk in the dark or with her eyes closed.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Can I keep them, pretty please?

I went with smell. I mostly only notice it when scents are bad, and the good ones seem to be fleeting or get annoying after a while.

I need taste for eating my spaghetti sauce. And chocolate. #LifeNecessities

Reactions: Felix Black

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'd lose taste 1st, then maybe smell but it would really really annoy me because I use it a lot and I love fragrance. Losing hearing would be slightly worse than losing sight, because MUSIC, and I'd go crazy stuck in my own head. I rarely fall asleep without listening to something (there's nothing better against anxiety than hearing daily life and nature sounds, people talking or reading). I can't really imagine what it would be like to lose touch lol, I'd probably break and drop everything (well it's already the case) but I could get used to it

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
*Looks over at aromatherapy diffuser* Well, I chose smell like everyone else. Can I make myself mute instead? lol I'll only communicate through writing, facial expressions etc. I could live with that. Maybe it would make me less sassy and annoying too lol.

As for which one is most important to me....probably sight. It just inspires me so much plus it's just the most useful to me. I would hate living in darkness all the time. It would just make life harder. I would hate losing touch too. It helps me feel grounded as I'm too much inside my head as it is. That's part of why I chose to keep sight. And as for scent, I still value it quite a lot. It's just that, if you put a gun to my head, that's the one I would choose.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts