Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We ISTJ's are often seen as factual, cool, in times robotish, rather not emotional. I myself am extremely full of huge emotions. And I think all ISTJ's are. I think weare fireballs or deep seas of emotions. Universes, Big Bangs. What happens internally though, is so damn profound, there is hardly an expression. But I can give an insight by choosing some music to express at least a part of it. I'd be happy if you could do to. I think, choosing music is one of the best attempt to get to know each other more. But since we don't speak the same lamguage, I'd like you to explain, why you have chosen these songs.

I was just listening to Katie Melua's "Spiders Web" and this song always makes me cry.

She has such a child-like fragile voice and asks these fundamental questions in her song. And it hurts me to not even be able to answer the most simple questions, e.g. Why is there war? And similar. Human race not being able to get over these rudimentary issues, such as greed, hate, jelousy, envy and so on, makes me crazy..

However, this song has a wonderful combination of minor keys and transitions and combined with her voice it's just..amazingly bittersweetly painful.

Music is an ENORMOUS thing for me to express myself. I like to send my man songs to express my love.. How my love feels etc.. For example Snake River Conspiracy "Love Song" (Best Cure cover, ever..imho):

This song is for me like a storm. It's like standing on a cathedral and screaming "I love you" into the thunder..
Which is how my love feels for him. It's Nature's power (who would've thought it's an ISTJ...?)

Songs need to get to me like that. I am all in for bittersweet and divine scream, if you get my gist.

Now, what about you?

(This kinda reminds me on my teen years, where we sat in front of the MC-deck and forwarding the song to this particular point we wanted to share with others to see if they feel the same about it. If they felt the same about it, it was so fucking fantastic!!. And always the mother or grandmother or some other friend, who interrupted this particular moment by entering or by being inconsiderate. It was like an orgasm nearly achieved, but interrupted 2 nanoseconds before conclusion.. ARGGGHHHH!!!)

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Well, there are songs that I connect to either good or bad memories; such as Pearl Jam, Black being connected to the one break up that did lasting damage, or The Pet Shop Boys, West Ends Girls being connected to memories of roller skating with my first girlfriend.
That song and a few others from the era remind me of what it was like to be truly free, with no repression, either societal or self imposed. I felt comfortable in my small niche in the world, because the world itself was small to my child's eye and so much less complicated. In short, this song creates melancholy.

Then there's songs without a direct connection; they just stir up, or sooth; like Tin Pan Alley originally penned by Bob Geddins in the 50's, but is usually connected to Stevie Ray Vaugn.

In this case, I identify directly with the songwriters experience which is compounded by the general blues tone. I was born in a small town and lived in small safe places until I was 13, then we moved to a large crime filled city were rent was much higher so we lived in a crappy, gang controlled neighborhood. I had never seen people show so little regard for others, or human life in general. I had a difficult time reconciling my situation with my experience to that point: this song told me that I was not alone in that experience.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@stone100674

omg, yes, Pearl Jam!! Black especially. I have not experienced a breakup or such, but man was I in love with Eddie Vedder.. as well as with Lane Staley, Anthony Kiedis.. at the same time, I rediscovered the Doors and so on. And Vince Vaughn, man!!

@DaisyChain
I got my first kiss in (yes thats right) a trashcan. The music that fits to that is either Bowie or DepecheMode.

For me, almost 100% of the music I listen too is very much connected to a specific time span in my life.

When I grew conscious about music around 10. 11, I listened a lot to Queen, Michael Jackson, but only Queen stayed with me, since I find Freddy Mercury was one of the most amazing musicians (composers) of our times, I'll add Brian May to that too.

Then, I turned Hippie with 13, 14 and liked "Hair", Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd (had a crush on Gilmore and sometimes on Waters). I loved the german Band "Ton Steine Scherben", and cried when its leadsinger and songwriter, one of my most beloved poets "Rio Reiser" died in 1994. I listened to the doors, Frumpy, the later Beatles etc.

Then I turned to Grunge after being a Punk for a short time. Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Red Hot Chilly Peppers, Alice in Chains (no Grunge, thoughh) and started collecting female bands, such as Hole, Babes in Toyland and L7.. Feminism came into my life as well..

After that, my life changed a lot due to me being heavily in puberty and my family nearly falling apart. I went fully Goth. And I loved it! Type O negative, Bauhaus, Depeche Mode, Silke Bischoff.. I liked avantgarde music, a lot of EBM.. VNV nation etc.. More industrial and different metal shades became more apparent.. and then there was a transition to black and death metal Therion, Dimmu Borgir and so on. But that did not leave any mark. I was more into Judas Priest and as well Henry Rollins, but as well Cannibal Corpse, Tiamat, Anathema etc..Janus..Rammstein.

Then I left my boyfriend because he cheated on me. And then I met another guy and then I went completely different. I listened to Mia, Pink Floyd again.. and a lot of Indie Brit, as well as Indian sitar music, world music. Discovered Jazz. Discovered ambient, house a lot of great trip hop-Portishead, Lamb, Massive Attack..

Now, I basically feed off those bands and songs that guided me through the first 25 years of my life. Some additions have been made, since my man is American and he is fully metal. More Jazz as well, a lot of electronic stuff.

Every phase in my life has its music. And the time has a certain quality which I can name very distinct:

Age 10/11 Queen and stuff-I love my family and my life is cool! General curiosity and happiness
Age 13-15 Hippie - Everyone is equal and we should live in peace love and happiness - Hope
Age 15-17 Punk/Grunge - Everyone is equal, fuck the system and war is evil, Nazis everywhere - Disturbed about whats really going on.
Age 17-21 Goth/Death-Black Metal- I hate this world. This is bullshit. A lie. Nihilism
Age 21-27 Electro and stuff - Whatever-LSD into the groundwater. Hedonism. Egocentrism

Whenever I listen to a particular music, I slip right back into this time. And I can say that I very much love being in the nihilistic/hedonistic time trap.Most fundamental emotions are stored in there.

Which is in fact pretty funny, because its the most factual and coolish music, which would not imply a lot of emotions.

But what catches me most is songs that are about loss, pain, anger, self hate and so on. Depeche Mode have a lot of it in terms of a very dark erotic.
Other stuff is pure aggression but its very dark. Rammstein, e.g.
Well, I just love gloomy. Always. Its ever so cold black and greenish-blue.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, found an extraordinary example of bittersweet painful. Madrugada. Nowergian Band.

and very erotic I find this..

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I have several songs that makes me feel that way. It's hard to narrow it down to one. Most of them are instrumental or from musicals. Especially, waltzes.

This song is the theme to a movie back in the late 70's or early 80's.

Reactions: niss and Ama

·
Registered
833 Posts
Henryk Gorecki's Symphony No.3 Opus 36 can be beautiful and sad at the same time (this is the third movement, but the whole symphony is worth while listening to):

I don't listen to many modern music except for classical and soundtracks, but this band(and some other from the same genera) has some good songs and this one is a good one to listen to when I'm feeling down.

first time I listened to this I felt amazed how beautiful and sad and it in a few ways similar to Gorecki track above, vocal and how i feel about the track and it almost leaves you breathless.:crying:

This song gives me goosebumps because it feels like olympic music which I love most classical olympic music.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Just amazing theme song that I love.

Another amazing song. I think it sounds similar to parts Gorecki's
I really don't have to explain the last one just be warned there are live cannons :kitteh::wink:

I could probably add quite a few more but I'll stop for now.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The song that comes immediately to my mind is Slipping Through My Fingers, which is probably the only song that actually makes me sad.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
This song gives me goosebumps because it feels like olympic music which I love most classical olympic music.
As @outofplace mentioned, several songs have the ability to get a strong internal response from me, depending on several things, but when I first read the title to this thread, this is the song that immediately came to mind.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As @outofplace mentioned, several songs have the ability to get a strong internal response from me, depending on several things, but when I first read the title to this thread, this is the song that immediately came to mind.
What are these several things the internal response depends on?

·
Registered
211 Posts
when I was younger... not so much any more. But i think having heard the song 50 billion times already might be the reason though. lol

·
Registered
211 Posts
There was also this when i was young:

AND NOW? I don't think any songs really do that any more.
I've been diggin this rap though. wow, that's kind of amusing to me. Strange what time will do to you. haha

·
Registered
70 Posts
Basically all of Les Misérables. I was first exposed when I was fourteen & it changed my life, it is the greatest fiction story of all time.

I get pretty into music, & very much value when it connects with me on an emotional level, so the list would be pretty long if you let me get going. Maybe instead I'll let some favorite bands/artists, & perhaps a couple of their highlights...

The Elms (The Towers & the Trains, Bring Me Your Tea, The Little Ways, This is How the World will End)
The Guggenheim Grotto (Cold Truth, Just Not Just, Ruby Heart, The Universe is Laughing)
Josh Ritter (Girl in the War, The Temptation of Adam, The Curse, Another New World)
Teitur (We Still Drink the Same Water, All My Mistakes, I Was Just Thinking)
Tom Petty (The Wild One Forever, Insider, Listen to Her Heart)
Jackson Browne (The Load Out, The Pretender)

& of course there are other ones. For good meaningful lyrics, country actually has a good show.

ETA: Owen Thomas (Factors, I Might Be a Ghost, Houdini)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts