Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
by an ultra logic-oriented girl who loves the sound of her own voice. @#%*( told me I was too emotional to become a doctor, and that money should be able to buy a heart transplant for an 80 year old oil tycoon bastard, over the kid with congenital heart disease, verbatim. Seeing as it's people like me who are likely to be the organ donors, I'm gonna have to immediately see about adding an addendum to that potential donation, 'grafts only going to people who I would deem worthy in terms of integrity, purity, and selflessness'. Then she tirelessly and disdainfully lectured me pedantically on details, and ground me to a pulp. She thinks she won, because I couldn't get a word in. Oh, and she's terribly selfish, surprise there. Apparently it wouldn't affect her because she would have the money to supersede the barriers to decent treatment. She thinks she can reason through all the problems in the world because she took one class on the economics of healthcare.

When I told her I'd had enough and to be quiet, she called me narrow-minded and bitter. Are you kidding me? I'm a freaking idealist! So agreeable and optimistic, always, until I come across self-identified realists like you; just look at the position I'm defending! Nobody has ever insulted me so much in my life.

She spurns my idealism about helping everyone and my hatred of privatized medicine/capitalist government system in place currently.

This is why the world will never change or improve, and I should just abandon it for an untouched bit of nature while that still exists. Lord knows she'd bulldoze over my haven to extract its natural resources just to make a buck. How much does lumber go for these days? $1.50 a trunk?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hate being made a fool of by rich, over-privileged, international students at an Ivy-League school... I come from the other side of the tracks, so nobody here can ever see my point of view. Probably because I have first-hand knowledge of what is, that no amount of chapter subsections or facts can relate. Things are wrong, and they are much more complicated and difficult to correct than academic models communicate to arrogant students.

Thanks for putting up with this and sympathizing. I'm just so furious. And unlike myself. My true self, I mean. :blushed:

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
This kind of reminds me of those parents that are overly controlling of their children and take too much of a realist approach to things.

It honestly made me think of something like this

Very simple, very basic. These people tend to be very forgettable, so they need to lash out at times just so they're memorable in some shape or form.

Hopefully you don't take things to heart too much. If you want to be spiteful just question her future parenting skills. Of course, I doubt you're as cruel as me, that's a good thing :). Hang in there and just generally be dismissive if it continues. Some people get off to seeing a rise out of someone else. Her emotional problems aren't yours.

edit: oops, major error.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
by an ultra logic-oriented girl who loves the sound of her own voice. @#%*( told me I was too emotional to become a doctor, and that money should be able to buy a heart transplant for an 80 year old oil tycoon bastard, over the kid with congenital heart disease, verbatim. Seeing as it's people like me who are likely to be the organ donors, I'm gonna have to immediately see about adding an addendum to that potential donation, 'grafts only going to people who I would deem worthy in terms of integrity, purity, and selflessness'. Then she tirelessly and disdainfully lectured me pedantically on details, and ground me to a pulp. She thinks she won, because I couldn't get a word in. Oh, and she's terribly selfish, surprise there. Apparently it wouldn't affect her because she would have the money to supersede the barriers to decent treatment. She thinks she can reason through all the problems in the world because she took one class on the economics of healthcare.

When I told her I'd had enough and to be quiet, she called me narrow-minded and bitter. Are you kidding me? I'm a freaking idealist! So agreeable and optimistic, always, until I come across self-identified realists like you; just look at the position I'm defending! Nobody has ever insulted me so much in my life.

She spurns my idealism about helping everyone and my hatred of privatized medicine/capitalist government system in place currently.

This is why the world will never change or improve, and I should just abandon it for an untouched bit of nature while that still exists. Lord knows she'd bulldoze over my haven to extract its natural resources just to make a buck. How much does lumber go for these days? $1.50 a trunk?

People will suck the life out of you if you let them. I suggest to cut her off cold turkey. I can't stand people that talk to much.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Oh man...I would have walked away from her. I mean, what does she know? She thinks she's right and from the looks of it, refuses to listen to other viewpoints. Basically she's a waste of time to me.

As crappy as the world is, it can improve and change, little by little. Try not to let her bother you too badly .___.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Damn... I know how you feel. I met somebody online like that once. Unfortunately he was really active in a community I belonged to, and I ended up leaving that community just to get away from them. Don't try to reason with her, you won't get anywhere... I learned that the hard way. Just know that simply because she is domineering does not mean that she is right. Believe in your ideals, be the change you want to see in the world, and know that there are plenty of people out there who wish that their doctor wasn't a jerk like her :crazy:

Compassion is a very important thing to have. Don't let her tell you otherwise. I would suggest trying to cut her out of your life; people like that can be very toxic and draining, and are not worth the effort.

Like Lad said, she has her own problems. You don't need to add them to your load, especially since she isn't exactly helping you with yours.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh wow, you guys are so receptive and responsive! I could never want for more. I feel much better already.

Really, thanks for the support! It's so rare and hard to find, and I'm truly lucky.

I will find a way to become a doctor. I am more than enthused to consider osteopathic medicine. Even if you do treat the body, it's not necessarily guaranteed that the person will get better. Gotta get a feel for the mind and spirit. :D

Bah, she said that an interview is enough for the admissions officers to gauge character. Pah, now I'm the one armed to the ears with typical scientific evidence to the misdirection of first impressions. Here, why don't you look at these charming yearbook pictures of sociopathic killers... Look, they're smiling! They seem nice and well-adjusted. *voice laden with sarcasm* I didn't even want to start. 5 minutes of dinner together, and I'm the one who has to leave the table, which she crashed.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Those kinds of people piss me off. My ex was like that... your post brings back memories... :frustrating: Anyways, try not to let it get to you. In those situations I either walk away/ignore... or run with the arguments with complete nonsense just for my own amusement. I bet there was a few moments in that confrontation where if you asked, "Do you need a hug?" it would have been a "Kodak moment." :proud:

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
I hate being made a fool of by rich, over-privileged, international students at an Ivy-League school... I come from the other side of the tracks, so nobody here can ever see my point of view. Probably because I have first-hand knowledge of what is, that no amount of chapter subsections or facts can relate. Things are wrong, and they are much more complicated and difficult to correct than academic models communicate to arrogant students.

Thanks for putting up with this and sympathizing. I'm just so furious. And unlike myself. My true self, I mean. :blushed:
hahaha, i never went to Ivy League, but I imagine they would act something like this...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It honestly made me think of something like this

Very simple, very basic. These people tend to be very forgettable, so they need to lash out at times just so they're memorable in some shape or form.

Hopefully you don't take things to heart too much. If you want to be spiteful just question her future parenting skills. Of course, I doubt you're as cruel as me, that's a good thing :). Hang in there and just generally be dismissive if it continues. Some people get off to seeing a rise out of someone else. Her emotional problems aren't yours.

Heh, I like this a lot. You're pretty special, already this wise. Might be eons ahead of me, 'cause I hate being the bigger person.

On a side note, first I thought the queen ant was devouring all the worker ones, who were dutifully marching into her lair... Hmm, that must stand as a metaphor for something.

But I like your explanation too, and it doesn't go off on a tangent!

I want to be a pediatrician. I'd be hard-pressed to treat her, even if she offered me a gazillion dollars, just to make a fundamental statement, that I can't support people like you and maybe you had it coming, but even I wouldn't be so cruel to take it out on her children, if they were the ones who needed my help.

She'd better have nagging brats for children, because an NF or NT will not let her subdue him/her.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Bah, she said that an interview is enough for the admissions officers to gauge character. Pah, now I'm the one armed to the ears with typical scientific evidence to the misdirection of first impressions. Here, why don't you look at these charming yearbook pictures of sociopathic killers... Look, they're smiling! They seem nice and well-adjusted. *voice laden with sarcasm* I didn't even want to start. 5 minutes of dinner together, and I'm the one who has to leave the table, which she crashed.
Your first sentence reminded me of something.

One of my professors that introduced me to the whole Myer Briggs system told me about someone else they knew that tested as an INFP. They were applying for, I believe it was a teaching position, but it may have been medical. During the intense interview process (often spanning hours -> days), the INFP walked in greeting the interviewers, etc all the formalities. One of the interviews straight up said "Why do you believe we should hire you?"

The INFP got up, grabbed a red felt and wrote on the large white board in the room, 'INFP' and said "this is why you should hire me." She broke down every single letter and spoke about how each are useful in the job she was applying for and the strengths it gave her.

My professor (high profile) heard back from the interviewing committee and they were absolutely blown away by this girl. She won the job without question and left an incredible impression that absolutely annihilated all the other people that applied.

The point? Show your passion where it matters and let the results speak for themselves.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
^ In relation to post above, yep, confidence can be a pretty powerful tool. More powerful than you might realize.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Your first sentence reminded me of something.

One of my professors that introduced me to the whole Myer Briggs system told me about someone else they knew that tested as an INFP. They were applying for, I believe it was a teaching position, but it may have been medical. During the intense interview process (often spanning hours -> days), the INFP walked in greeting the interviewers, etc all the formalities. One of the interviews straight up said "Why do you believe we should hire you?"

The INFP got up, grabbed a red felt and wrote on the large white board in the room, 'INFP' and said "this is why you should hire me." She broke down every single letter and spoke about how each are useful in the job she was applying for and the strengths it gave her.

My professor (high profile) heard back from the interviewing committee and they were absolutely blown away by this girl. She won the job without question and left an incredible impression that absolutely annihilated all the other people that applied.

The point? Show your passion where it matters and let the results speak for themselves.

Whoa, that's uncanny because I do extraordinarily passionate things like that too! Clearly, it's a trend amongst us. :) I turned up to my college interviews in sweatpants and a hoodie and talked excitedly about what I want to, and think I can, do. I love making people reconsider their initial judgments. Yeah, you're absolutely right, Lad! You're the best!

Reminds me of something else incredibly controversial that she said: My position was extreme. Therefore, it could never be correct. She's right because she "always takes the moderate approach." Yeah, well, you're twisting my words so they sound absurd, even to me, and your approach ain't all that moderate or what you make it out to be...

I realize I am loved by more than my fair share, beyond happy and lucky, and know I'll be successful enough to change the world a smidge someday!

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have no idea what types hate us, but I find ESTJs very difficult to be around. Unfortunately my dad is one, so I have to deal with it every day. They thrive on control (of other people) whereas the only thing I want control over is myself. Slight conflict of interest there... Also, to state the obvious, they have nothing but disdain for things like dreams.

Reactions: mintyphoenix

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have no idea what types hate us, but I find ESTJs very difficult to be around. Unfortunately my dad is one, so I have to deal with it every day. They thrive on control (of other people) whereas the only thing I want control over is myself. Slight conflict of interest there... Also, to state the obvious, they have nothing but disdain for things like dreams.
You're making a lot of sense here. And you're the only one who answered the question my black earlier mood roared!

We disagreed on heart. I would be the first person to get into medical school on the basis of heart and humanitarian drive. She thinks that's useless, b/c everyone has heart. Uhh....no they don't. Not even in my fantasy world. I'm thinking she defines it differently, being that she's never known the kind of 'heart' I'm talking about. I forget how much I pity these sad sacks of potatoes...

Ahh, they're not all bad. Just the ones who aren't English majors. ;p

1 - 20 of 64 Posts