Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps sevens would be playful enough to really give them a good time. Fours could be emotional enough or twos?

What are your thoughts.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
I would think
1) 7
2) 9
3) 2
4) healthy 8s (unhealthy 8s, no; healthy 8s, usually. think santaclaus)

in MBTI
1) FPs (they're all about tied)

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Hmm I'm gr8 with kids. For some reason they love me. Maybe because I'm childish :p. No idea about type.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I'll narrow it down...the worst with kids. ;)

1's. Definitely the strict type.
3's. Seem like "vocariously living through"/stage mom tpes.
4's. Mood swings, isolates away from kids
5's. Locked-door isolation
6's. Paranoid. Will tell kids about all the ways they could get raped and kidnapped as they go about their day.

·
Registered
INFP, 4w5 sx/sp ♂
1,371 Posts

6's. Paranoid. Will tell kids about all the ways they could get raped and kidnapped as they go about their day.
I think we 4s can be okay with kids. But when I'm unhappy I do tend to avoid them because they're just too happy! Need...anger...darkness...XD

7s and 2s seem to be the best type with the kiddies...and yeah, healthy type 8s. :D

·
Banned
13,780 Posts

<.< aww cmon! Whats with type 6 being paranoid and inducing fear!? People tell me I'm 6w7 and I'm gr8 with kids. No paranoid stuff here. I may be paranoid about being judged but seriously anticipating stuff like that is plain weird.

Kids dogs cats, squirrels ^^ cute things dig me for some reason.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
<.< aww cmon! Whats with type 6 being paranoid and inducing fear!? People tell me I'm 6w7 and I'm gr8 with kids. No paranoid stuff here. I may be paranoid about being judged but seriously anticipating stuff like that is plain weird.

Kids dogs cats, squirrels ^^ cute things dig me for some reason.
>.> Meet my mom. I wasn't allowed to walk next to minivans or especially not VW buses/trailers/campers parked by the sidewalk just in case a naked, greasy-haired rapist was inside just waiting for a little girl to walk by and snatch up! xD

Also, she didn't like me being in front of liquor stores in case it attracted pimps or drive-by shootings (a gang rival might be buying a Snickers bar inside).

Nancy Grace and any documentaries about gangs/prisoners were her lifeline. Every time I visit her, she's still got that shit on.

She's a 6w7 ESFJ. All the above = where her tert Ne goes.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I can see healthy 1, 2, and 7 being great with kids, but I think any well-balanced healthy individual could be a good parent, regardless of enneagram. They'd each have advantages & disadvantages.

·
Registered
82 Posts

living through? Mood swings? Locked-door? =)

I think any type is good with kids if they are healthy and all types are bad if they are unhealthy. All types have pitfalls. 1's b/c in the average range, they have issues with viewing the world in a black and white fashion and I think we have to help our kids experience and understand their own individuality, as well as trying too hard to mold their kids into the perfect person. Kids may grow up with a constant feeling of never being quite good enough. 2's can be manipulative and too needy, making sure their kids always know how much they've sacrificed for them. 3's, rather than living through their kids, I think they are at far greater risk of not spending enough time with them, when they get in a workaholic stage. 4's in the average range, can be withdrawn, 5's might have a hard time getting down to a child's level, 6's can prevent their children from experiencing what they need to grow up in an effort to protect them, 7's might not take parenting seriously enough, 8's can be tyrannical, and 9's try too hard to be their friends.

BUT, 1's maybe bring a strong sense of values to the table, helping kids become moral, upstanding members of society, 2's will nurture them and make sure they know they are loved, 3's will help them live up their full potential, 4's will help kids understand that they have value and to really know themselves, 5's will help them see the world as a complex, interesting place that they can learn from, 6's will instill the values of commitment and loyalty, 7's will help them enjoy life, 8's will protect them from the bullies of the world and 9's will allow them to sometimes just be, rather than feel obligated to jump from one activity to the next (read a neat article about the over-booked child).

That said, and I mean it and I believe it, the ones that need to be the most self-aware are 1's and 8's, b/c when they get unhealthy, they are hardest on loved ones. The one's that need to make sure they don't neglect their kids are 3's and 7's by getting caught up in the world, 4's and maybe 5's by getting caught up in themselves, the one's that need to make sure they see their kids needs and don't project are 2's and 6's, and 9's have to make sure they don't lose themselves in their children.

·
Registered
82 Posts
And actually, upon reflection, I have a brother whose an 8w7, and he in fact is the one who lives through his kids. For example, he always wanted to do little league baseball, and while he did it briefly as a child, apparently he felt unsupported by our Dad on it (a 2 by the way), and so now both his boys are in it, and his oldest isn't even that interested, but he made it pretty clear that if he wasn't playing baseball, he'd be doing a lot of sitting and watching at practices, games, etc. Baseball is the family activity of choice and that's the end of it.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
And actually, upon reflection, I have a brother whose an 8w7, and he in fact is the one who lives through his kids. For example, he always wanted to do little league baseball, and while he did it briefly as a child, apparently he felt unsupported by our Dad on it (a 2 by the way), and so now both his boys are in it, and his oldest isn't even that interested, but he made it pretty clear that if he wasn't playing baseball, he'd be doing a lot of sitting and watching at practices, games, etc. Baseball is the family activity of choice and that's the end of it.
Both your posts are really good food for thought. I'm not really interested in ever having kids, but I don't think Type 8's get tyrannical. That's usually a counterphobic 6 thng.

If I had kids and they disobeyed me, I would simply throw them to the wolves - let them learn things naturally, the hard way.

For example, if they were fucking up their grades, I'd make it very clear that they'd be on their own at 18, and if their grades rendered them unable to get a job later on, I wouldn't lift a finger to help. They'd sleep on a park bench.

Honestly, being tyrannical and not letting kids make their own choices (and dealing with the consequences) just doesn't foster independence.

As an 8, I'd *want* my children to be strong and independent. Nothing sickens me more than a needy helpless leech waiting for someone to control them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Both your posts are really good food for thought. I'm not really interested in ever having kids, but I don't think Type 8's get tyrannical. That's usually a counterphobic 6 thng.

If I had kids and they disobeyed me, I would simply throw them to the wolves - let them learn things naturally, the hard way.

For example, if they were fucking up their grades, I'd make it very clear that they'd be on their own at 18, and if their grades rendered them unable to get a job later on, I wouldn't lift a finger to help. They'd sleep on a park bench.
Thank you. And I can totally relate what you are saying to my brother. That to me though is tyrannical I guess, although that might not be the right word. You mess up, off with your head type thing, like the queen of hearts! =) What I mean by tyrannical is emotionally actually, not physically, and again, I'm talking average to unhealthy. I also have a boss whose an 8, as well as a friend of mine, and all 3 can be quite tyrannical about how they view things. =) (and by the way, my brother and I have a great relationship. I think it's important to put what I'm saying in perspective. we've been close since we were kids, and I always knew if someone was messing with me, he'd protect me). My brother tells people all the time he's just a jerk and that's the way it is. Which, he's not actually, not all the time anyways. He can be very loyal, sweet, romantic with his wife, and a loving father, but it's a very in your face kind of a thing. And that's his way of saying: I'm not going to discuss it, this is how it is with me. You don't like it? Hit the road.

6's will do it, but it's more like a OMG, listen to me or I'll go nuts trying to protect you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
p.s. the upshot that I do like about 8's is that they don't play games. Like with 6's for example (not to pick on them, but as an example), I never really know where I stand. Like I've never quite proven myself worthy of their trust or something. =) but an 8 won't keep you in suspense! =)

·
Banned
3,145 Posts
Based solely the descriptions of the type, I'd vote for Twos.

·
Registered
82 Posts

Honestly, being tyrannical and not letting kids make their own choices (and dealing with the consequences) just doesn't foster independence.

As an 8, I'd *want* my children to be strong and independent. Nothing sickens me more than a needy helpless leech waiting for someone to control them.
By the way, you did bring something important up: healthy 8's teach their kids to be strong and independent. :) I don't think any type is as focused on those ideals. :) You know, I think one upshot to this conversation is it makes me think about what I need to do to be a more well-rounded parent.

·
Registered
891 Posts
living through? Mood swings? Locked-door? =)

I think any type is good with kids if they are healthy and all types are bad if they are unhealthy. All types have pitfalls. 1's b/c in the average range, they have issues with viewing the world in a black and white fashion and I think we have to help our kids experience and understand their own individuality, as well as trying too hard to mold their kids into the perfect person. Kids may grow up with a constant feeling of never being quite good enough. 2's can be manipulative and too needy, making sure their kids always know how much they've sacrificed for them. 3's, rather than living through their kids, I think they are at far greater risk of not spending enough time with them, when they get in a workaholic stage. 4's in the average range, can be withdrawn, 5's might have a hard time getting down to a child's level, 6's can prevent their children from experiencing what they need to grow up in an effort to protect them, 7's might not take parenting seriously enough, 8's can be tyrannical, and 9's try too hard to be their friends.
This is great almost like paranoid 6 :) I thought that you would fallow up with an advice to keep kids away from humankind but fortunately there was BUT.

Ohh and the thing you wrote about 7's felt like you were overdoing something :)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I'm a 7w8, and though I'm not always super comfortable with kids at first, they seem to be really drawn to me. Usually, I can be really well with them as long as I get along with their parents and share most of my views and opinions with them. Otherwise, I have to be really careful with kids, because I tend to be quite straight-forward and frank in my approach with them. I'm not as sensitive to the fact that they're young and impressionable as most people seem to be. XD

I'm very anti-mollycoddling. XD

1 - 20 of 40 Posts