Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
INFJ and ENFJ have the same cognitive functions, just in a different order.

INFJ - Ni, Fe, Ti, Se
ENFJ - Fe, Ni, Se, Ti

So, in knowing was is primary and secondary functions... which type is likely to be more empathetic? Are INFJ's more so because the Fe is secondary to the Ni, hence, they sense it more through intuition? Or are ENFJ's by having primary Fe and only using Ni as a secondary??

Or does it really make that much difference??

Just a random thought for discussion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In my experience with my close ENFJ friend, he's always there for me to listen to my problems at the time and I'm always ready to listen and help out any of my friends. I think we're pretty much equal in that regard.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I can only comment about the two ENFJ's I know, but they're quite likely to act on some idea notion of empathy - something that fits a narrative like a wounded animal or being passed over for a promotion; but I think when it comes to really reading or occupying someone else's emotional state I do this better than they. I need to widen my sample.

Oh the two INFJ males that I know don't give any overt signs that they're empathising with anyone, but I'm sure its all ticking away under the surface.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I think it depends on the person.
I have met ENFJs that are more empathetic than me, but I have also met ENFJs with not as much empathy as me.
Suppose I'm not really answering the question :blushed:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My little theory at the moment is that....

ENFJ's can appear more empathetic because they are more readily available and willing to express their concerns to others... because, well, they are extraverts.

But what I wonder is, do they really FEEL and sense as much as INFJs? INFJs have the primary introverted intuition, which I know I pick up on a lot of things from just that. Like, you could feel for a person though Fe, but its the Ni that makes you understand WHY they feel what they feel without or very little discussion... right?? This is what makes me contemplate this idea.

Reactions: Blue Heart

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I'm more inclined to say INFJ, because I can't imagine anyone feeling more than I do for others. But It's possible, so I'm not going to be biased :)

·
Registered
892 Posts
I would say that we feel and sense more because of our I. But I would also think that an ENFJ would be more ready and willing to act on what they sense. I think a few other people said pretty much the same thing. I thought it when I read the title though, so I'm supporting the opinion, not just repeating it.

I am 100% I according to every personality theory that I am familiar with. And honestly, I feel everything that other people feel, but I don't know how to let them know and there is a part of me that really doesn't want to let them know because I doubt they would understand how I could really possibly feel their pain anyhow. I imagine that an ENFJ with a strong E function may not notice as much as I do, but they would be a hell of a lot better at showing that they care. I kind of suck at that. Sometimes I think that I really don't care. I think my 5 function is at war with my INFJness.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Both. I don't think it makes a difference....only on emphasis....but it doesn't change the extent to which one empathizes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts