Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which MBTI type and/or eneagram type is most likely to gossip?

Why?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Seems like those types with a strong grasp on Fe would be more prone to gossiping, but I'm only theorizing. The point of gossip is to affect the moods of other people, right? Maybe get some reaction out of them or stimulate them in some way..that's why I'm thinking Fe.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I'd say ENFP, because they like to talk (E), like to talk about people (F), and will elaborate on stories and blow them out of proportion (N). Oh, and they think less before talking (P).
I agree with that statement, but I think INFPs do it the most. Even though INFPs are introverted, we see (or at least can see) what we perceive people to be positively and negatively and tell our "closely kept" friend(s).

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also don't gossip. I hate to talk about anyone else. Actually, I tend to stop conversations where others are trying to gossip with me. I'll ask, " would they want you telling me this? This sounds kind of gossipy." I'm such a private person, I feel very strongly not to talk about other's secrets or downfalls.

I do like to share stories about things I've experienced and hopefully with a humorous or entertaining bent to them.

As far as functions, is it Fe that makes the propensity for gossip more likely?

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
I also don't gossip. I hate to talk about anyone else. Actually, I tend to stop conversations where others are trying to gossip with me. I'll ask, " would they want you telling me this? This sounds kind of gossipy." I'm such a private person, I feel very strongly not to talk about other's secrets or downfalls.

I do like to share stories about things I've experienced and hopefully with a humorous or entertaining bent to them.

As far as functions, is it Fe that makes the propensity for gossip more likely?
I don't like gossip either. And by that, I mean I don't like to talk about people's private stuff and judge it. It makes me extremely uncomfortable when people do this.

However, I do love discussing how people work and analyzing their behaviors. Meaning, I seek to understand why others do what they do.

My ENFJ girlfriend tends to gossip quite a bit. So do a couple of my family members who are Fe dom. I think the hardest part for me is to hear how they are judging others as if they've never walked in their shoes or will never walk in their shoes. I'll often point this out or explain how that person they are judging may be thinking. Or I'll point out that I've done what they are judging another for. Or I point it out that they have done something like that. But often the battle is futile. They've made up their mind and "can you believe so-and-so did this..."

If I'm to form a judgment on someone, it's much better for me to do it on my own, so I don't feel like a gossip. However if someone has burned me, I will often run it by a few friends just to make sure I'm not crazy.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I don't believe this is directly related to type, or even gender (considering stereotypes). IME, everyone engages in gossip to some degree. Some are more prone to it than others and I've met a couple of people that seldom engaged in gossip in general, and about others in particular.

Be sure you know the meaning of the word...:wink:

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, niss63. The following is my definition:

A gossip: A person who habitually spreads personal, secret or sensational facts about others, generally without their knowledge or permission. They do this by talking primarily, but also in writing, txting etc.

To gossip: To spread personal, secret or sensational facts about others, generally without their knowledge or persmission. This could be by talking, writing or texting.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Hahaha. I know a certain ESFP who literally asks me "So... you wanna gossip?" I actually can't help finding that question adorable.

Reactions: ertertwert

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Years ago, a neighbor of ours told me if he ever wants the latest gossip, he just asks my daughter! She was seven at the time. I'd ask him how she knew anything about the neighborhood and he said, she would tell him all about her friend's house or what someone did on the corner. She had no idea what gossip was at the time. She does now and she is a very loyal friend. She might still gossip on occasion, but I don't really hear it too much. And she said recently, she'd "kick someone's ass if they talked shit about a friend of hers."

Not diggin' the profanity, but I told her everyone needs a friend like that in her corner. Not to fight literally but to stand for them. She said she'd fight, literally. :')

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
ESFP.

My two best friends are ESFPs and they never stfu about people's sex lives, how silly people look wearing what and generally bitching.
I second this

·
Banned
2,697 Posts
I'd say ENFP, because they like to talk (E), like to talk about people (F), and will elaborate on stories and blow them out of proportion (N). Oh, and they think less before talking (P).
I'll be the third ENFP to totally disagree with this. I don't ever gossip. Neither do any ENFPs I know. I don't talk about people. I hardly even talk about current events. I like discussing ideas. We're extremely turned off by gossip and such actually, more so than most.

F != liking to talk about people. I'd say maybe Fe, but not Fi at all.

ENFPs are the furthest from judgmental! We're known for attracting goofy, eccentric, outside of the norm friends.

I don't think any Ns are big gossipers. It's funny to even imagine. Ns have so many bigger things on their minds than gossiping. Sensors would care more about those sorts of things.

Thus, I'd say ESFPs would gossip the most.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
ESFP! duhh lol no contest

Reactions: StandingTiger

·
Registered
226 Posts
Highly Likely:
ESFP
ESTP
ENFP
ENTP

Likely:
ENFJ
ESFJ

Highly UNlikely:
INTJ
ISTJ

:crazy:

·
Registered
424 Posts
From my experience, ESFJs and ESFPs like to gossip.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've wondered about type but obviously values play a key. I'm with pinkrasputin in that I don't gossip and I really try to avoid it if possible. I do wonder sometimes about personality, drives, and life experiences and have been known to talk about my wonderings. When people are gossiping I almost always present an alternative to their judgement, hoping they can give someone a break.

And hmwith, I agree with you that ENFPs are the last ones to judge people. I feel embarassed when someone tells me a relative has a a sexually transmmitted disease, or the last customer that came in to the store has a son on drugs, or " I was at a party and she was talking to this guy and..." I value my own privacy and feel for people who do not get to choose what the reveal to others because someone else does it for them.

I really appreciate your responses.

Reactions: StandingTiger
1 - 20 of 44 Posts