Personality Cafe banner

Which type is the most into lord of the rings and other magie fiction?

5K views 40 replies 39 participants last post by  woodpeace 
#1 ·
Which type is the most into books/movies about witches, magical powers, hidden world, ancient world with lost powers etc... like in the lord of the rings or other books like that?

#4 ·
I've gone through phases of obsession with fantasy worlds before (primarily ages 8-12) so I'd also vote INTX. Almost all my friends are also INTX and they all have the same tastes that I do in that regard. Warhammer is a good example. Used to be completely obsessed and almost all of the other people I met through that hobby were also INTX.

#7 · (Edited)
I'd say INFP > ISFP > INTJ > ENFP > INFJ > ENTP > INTP.

But yeah, mostly introverted intuitives.

Reactions: Aelthwyn
#11 ·
I love that kind of stuff. I have a whole shelf on my bookshelf reserved for Tolkien books.

#12 ·
I'm into that kinda stuff. Although, I'm much more into science fiction. I think it'd be really hard to say which type is most into it. I'd vote for...INTP or INTJ, perhaps.

#14 ·
I am very much a fan of Tolkien, and am consistently thinking of fantasy. I create many worlds and many ideas for D&D and books, but rarely do I put any of it to use or in writing. I also really like science fiction as well.

I do not think that any type in particular would be most into Lord of the Rings. I may like it for different reasons, but just as much as someone with a different type.

#15 ·
I've known an ENTP who was into hobbits and stuff like that. Lord of the Rings was like a sacred book to him to the point where when i presented him a comedy interpretation of it he couldn't have a laugh with me - that was disappointing. And I can recollect another ENTP who was into games like WoW with magic and elves and that kind of stuff.

By MBTI I'd say INFPs are most likely to be into these kind of themes.

#17 ·
I love fantasy and sci fi, I'm always drawn to symbolism like amulets, badges, monoliths, spaceships, planet names and the different aliens, tribes and their belief systems and the things they wear and weapons they use. Not so much into the storylines although they have to be cohesive, its all the creative and imaginative ideas behind it all that I like most. Stargate and Babylon 5 are biggies for me with sci fi but I'll watch almost any medieval/fantasy sorcery and magic type movies.

#18 ·
Personally I like Angela Carter and Kafka on the shore sort of stuff in terms of...fantasy. More a mixture of reality and fantasy, and examination of culture though, than magic and fantasy. And ongoing, or riddle like metaphores. That's seems a slightly stereotypical picture of a more SJish approach (with touches of Ni) to liking fantasy literature.

I would guess NT.

#19 ·
I'm not a fan of fantasy or sci-fi genre - quite frankly, I often find it very literal and straightforward when it comes writing style. I tend to prefer novels which have a deeper symbolism or make indirect commentary on humanity, the world, etc, but the setting and character need not be fantastical. I do like novels with a surreal aspect, but they don't fall under genre fiction.

When I was a child, one of my favorite books was The Phantom Tollbooth, but that book is clever on many levels. It's more than just a fantasy world.

For instance, I very much dislike Harry Potter & all that vampire stuff. It seems very surface and I find that dull. Of course, this could also be a matter of the level of writing....and it's probably why I greatly prefer literary fiction to any genre fiction.

#20 · (Edited)
I don't know if it is common for ENFJs but my brother (also ENFJ) and I both love that kind of stuff. In fact when the last Star Wars movie came out we had to meet up for a movie because both of our spouses don't really like Sci Fi. (Sometimes I feel like SCi Fi and fantasy merge). I like both.

#23 ·
I love good fantasy fiction (Discworld, the Abhorsen Chronicles, Murakami's weird-as-all-get-out universe, a lot of good fantasy or sci-fi manga [Amatsuki, Natsume Yuujinchou, DOLLS, Tokage, DOGS, Mushishi, etc.]). I'm not going to read a book just because it's labeled "fantasy/sci-fi" at the bookstore. I do really love well-done fantasy, though (Garth Nix is a BAMF, srsly, the Abhorsen Chronicles are SO WELL-THOUGHT-OUT hrnnnghhh DAT MAGIC SYSTEM ; u;).

I just like good books in general. Good fantasy elements are a huge bonus, though.

...I did read anything and everything labeled "fantasy" almost obsessively when I was younger, though.

I'm an ENFP, by the way.

#25 ·
Milky Way is correct for the most part. BUT I like Fantasy for the interpersonal bits, there's always more character development in the Fantasy genre. The SciFi that I prefer is also of the 'drop humans in this environment and see how they do' type rather than the hyper-scientific tales with premises that can be tied to current cutting edge theories.

And, yes, I have my '75 edition of the Trilogy AND the Silmarillion AND the extended DVD set, which I've watched all the way thru with EACH of the alternate narrative tracks AND all the DVD Appendixes AND the Audio CDs for the Hobbit, The Trilogy AND the Silmarillion... Fangirl Much? :laughing:

#26 ·
I'm a huge fan of The Lord of The Rings. I like fantasy and fairy tales.

But I am not a huge fan of modern-day fantasy books. Like, for example,though I enjoyed twilight, it wasn't the magical element of the book that made me enjoy it, it was the interpersonal bits and the fast story line. I didn't enjoy Dune as much because I felt that the characters kind of didn't feel (seem?) like real characters. The more magical parts (such as the spice) didn't have much attraction.

I guess I am sort of drawn to LOTR and other books because of their plot and the good vs. evil conflicts. I always like seeing Right win! Tolkien was awesome because he spent so much time on his world getting almost all of the details right, so it was a new world. I really liked that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.