Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you say it works best for INTJs or is a different type more deserving of the title?

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Technically speaking no type can be the scientist, as types aren't people.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Anything Te is scientist. (Rational application of given rules.)

With that in mind, INTJ is still the best fit out of those four types, given INTJs are Introverts (more considerate, more mysterious, creepier) and iNtuitives (more inventive, more abstract, broader thinkers).

·
Registered
639 Posts
Any type can be a Scientist, but that's neither here nor there.

=========================================

I think the INTJ is the most ideal to be placed as a Scientist.

Science is in the realm of the material world, the concrete. But Ni is abstract reasoning and Te will force the abstract into the material world, so the INTJ can make conclusions, discoveries, and solutions that are leaps and bounds above anything concrete.

Ne in INTP is also abstract reasoning and is fully capable of making similar discoveries, but the advantage the INTJ has is Fi by not being hindered by compassion or collective based ethics much like an INTP with Fe will.

The descriptor 'Scientist' also is not the most accurate to use as an archetype for the INTJ, because it doesn't take advantage of the INTJs aptitude for leadership. Ideally behind the scenes leadership, but he can take front line leadership only if absolutely necessary. The most accurate archetypal descriptor I can think of would be 'Director'.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Idk, Jung himself always thought of STs as being the default scientist type and stressed this constantly, and especially as someone studying the sciences myself I've noticed that a lot of the best students and professors are STs. That isn't to say that other types don't make great scientists, but I think that the combination of practicality and logic that STs are stereotypically said to have does very well in scientific fields.

·
Registered
648 Posts
when I think of scientist I think of discovery.

when I think of discovery in the realm of science, I think of subjective logic with objective intuition.

therefore I think of xNTP

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,438 Posts
1) Science or scientist are very large terms and can have many interpretations

2) These titles attributed to specific types are stupid and can severely skewer how people type themselves

3) The actual answer is anyone who's interested in science and actively contributes to it

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
: ) It depends on the type of science, I think.

When I think of the scientists I know, I think most of my dad (INTJ) and my stepmom (ENTJ).

I can see a case for all of the different types, but I think the ones that are most stereotypical (based on my experiences) are:

INTJ, INTP, ENTP, ENTJ - hard sciences, theoretical and concrete

ISTP, ISTJ - hard scientists based on physical systems (chemistry, physics)

INFP, INFJ - so-called "soft" sciences (sociology, psychology, etc...)

But really, anyone can be a scientist. There are so many sciences out there that I bet everyone could find at least one that would fascinate them. One I think of is the almost universal appeal of dinosaurs in children.

Reactions: Librarian

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
@brightflashes I'd guess INTJ for the first two, and maybe INFJ for the "soft" sciences although INTJ would work pretty well there too. INTJs are simply drawn most to academic disciplines which require a lot of analyzing. For things which are theory-based (N), and don't lead to work in extravert-friendly settings (I), it's hard to choose anything except INxJ. It's boring to say INxJ for everything but I think that's usually what you'd get. Maybe INxP for some really open-ended stuff but we're generally talking about academic disciplines here and for that there's hard statistics showing that INTJs are most successful in college, and most likely to be professors.

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
@brightflashes I'd guess INTJ for the first two, and maybe INFJ for the "soft" sciences although INTJ would work pretty well there too. INTJs are simply drawn most to academic disciplines which require a lot of analyzing. For things which are theory-based (N), and don't lead to work in extravert-friendly settings (I), it's hard to choose anything except INxJ. It's boring to say INxJ for everything but I think that's usually what you'd get. Maybe INxP for some really open-ended stuff but we're generally talking about academic disciplines here and for that there's hard statistics showing that INTJs are most successful in college, and most likely to be professors.
Ok. I guess I wasn't looking at the question as which type is the most scientist-like. If I was, I'd say INTJs.

However, I was just trying to point out that any type can be a scientist. The types and corresponding scientists (and fields) came from a list of colleagues. I was thinking about editing to add ENFPs there because I know quite a few ENFP psychologists and sociologists. But whatever.

Thanks for the extra info, though. I'll try to keep that in mind when answering other questions on this site.

Reactions: Librarian

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Anyone up for "typing" these sciences?

Astronomy (one of my favorites)
Astro/Geophysics
Biology
Quantum Physics
Mechanical Physics
Archaeology(I know, not purely science, but indulge me here)
Forensic Science
Geology
Ecology

I also welcome thoughts on the pseudoscience category if you want to take a crack at it. Also, suggest other sciences to "type."

(credit of course to @brightflashes)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts