Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sure, any type can have the potential to be shallow (or deep, I guess), but though I can make some guesses, I'm curious enough to ask which type you find to be the shallowest. Not gonna bother with a poll, though. Just answer (if you have any thoughts on this topic).

·
🎀
11,795 Posts
What does shallow mean?

I know I can be superficial/care about superficial things but I also know that in many ways I am deeper than some 9s I know even though they are the opposite of my kind of "shallow"

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I'm shocked that everyone is mentioning Type 9's for shallow. . .my experience of them is that they can be some of the deepest types out there. Maybe you just have to know how to open them up?

Anyways, (in my experience) the shallowest Enneagram types have been Type 3's, Type 2w3's, Type 7's, Type 4w3, and Type 8's (not necessarily in that order).

Reactions: Quang and Darkbloom

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
What does shallow mean?
Good question. How do we define "shallow"?

The type that seems to get called shallow in many descriptions is type 7, but this refers more to the monkey mind, forever skipping around, getting to nothing in depth. Though, that's not necessarily what I would consider shallow.

To be honest, I've met people I would consider "shallow" of every type. Most of my graduating class come to mind. Even one 4 I know is into what I consider superficial, and stereotypical, measures of being "cultured"--reading Edgar Allen Poe, dressing like a hipster, getting into vintage because it's "vintage". (Luckily, she's young, and she sort of laughs at herself for doing it.)

So I guess no one has the monopoly here, depending on how you define the word "shallow". I haven't noticed any specific trends, anyway.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just based on the people I've known (and I can't say I've known many/any 3s or 9s), I'd go with 7.

Although, I've known some very wise 7s. They just weren't given to introspection, pondering philosophy, etc -- the things that I, at least, associate with depth. More into being in the present and enjoying life as it comes while still able to be responsible.

·
Registered
4w5
1,535 Posts
Without bothering to think of what shallow means, my first thought is 2w3

However I find 4s to be pretentious as fuck if they want to give a specific vibe or image to someone

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've met shallow nines and deep nines.
My mum, a 9w8, is quite shallow. Not that she only cares about the superficial or material, more like she places a lot of her attention on creature comforts and her social relationships/gossip and gets frustrated easily when I attempt to engage her in things that are a bit more theoretical or below the surface level of life.
My best friend is a 9w1 and he loves to spend time pondering, theorizing, fantasizing and thinking. It's his way of escaping reality. As a result he is a deep person. He verbally denounces people who whore themselves out for social status and places little to no emphasis on the material world.
It depends on the 9

Threes, unless they've hit that turning point in their lives where they realize they've spent so much time working their asses off and not being themselves, tend to be shallow because, well duh they want to portray themselves as someone valuable and admirable.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Depends on the area that is focused on. In general, this is unrelated to type. But in the spirit of type, depth will be found in certain ones more than others depending on the type of depth you are looking for.

·
Registered
697 Posts
IME, most shallow people are 2s, 7s or 3s, with a few 8s.

That however does not mean that most Twos, Sevens and Threes are shallow, a lot of it is not type related.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve known a few people who I thought wore a mask on in terms of showing a good or attractive image to others in order to be liked or receive the attention they desire. And from my experiences- they are usually type 3s who may be perceived as shallow to new people.

·
Banned
4,227 Posts
First, to address the idea of immediately running to Type 3 being the most shallow. Although I'd agree that 3's can be disingenuous and phony in what they say or do, I don't think that necessarily makes them shallow as people. Not everyone who hits us as being fake is a 3, and I also think to label them as such just because their Passion is "Deceit" misses the meaning of that device in the theory. 3's much more often come across to me as being smooth and put together on the outside, but nervous, wanting to be liked, driven, and even a bit shameful on the inside. Their need to be constantly doing something and moving stands out more than their being "fake." I also wouldn't necessarily call their enterprising nature shallow either, because there is a lot of more complex emotion and imaging that keeps their engine running. I actually find the inner world of Type 3's fascinating (if a bit hard to understand/relate with).

I'm not going to make any friends saying this, but the type I find extremely shallow when unhealthy is 9w8. This is especially true if we're talking about someone who would score low on "Openness," "Conscientiousness," or "Agreeableness" if they took the Big 5.

I won't discuss healthy 9w8 since neither they, nor any healthy type is really shallow by nature. But where unhealthy 9w1 tend to get caught up in minute details that don't matter, unhealthy 9w8 use pushback and sometimes even conflict to stay intentionally (even rebelliously) non-curious about anything. They numb themselves out to an extreme, which results in them either being 110% checked out mentally and emotionally, or being rebellious and edgy to people who ask something of them. The type descriptions describe this as kind of a "coarsening," for 9 of inquisitiveness and for 8 of softness. What I find realistically is that they get extremely dialed into doing stupid shit to pass the time, literally occupying themselves with mindless, pointless trivia while others come to them asking for help or for their thoughts - in so doing, neglecting themselves and others. Because they've checked out and because they fill their day doing nothing, they come across as being not only shallow and unproductive, but also unreachable. Conversations with them are also shallow, and they have a habit of shooting down anything that isn't "to the point" enough to their liking - meaning everything needs to be hyper-simplified if not outright coarsened, or they don't want to hear it.

Healthy or even moderately healthy 9w8 are still pretty straight forward too, but their simplicity is actually what makes them awesome in that case. They tend to be directly engaged with their environment and relationships rather than disconnected, so their thoughts and actions reflect reality in a direct and simple way that makes them great leaders and supporters.

·
Registered
697 Posts
First, to address the idea of immediately running to Type 3 being the most shallow. Although I'd agree that 3's can be disingenuous and phony in what they say or do, I don't think that necessarily makes them shallow as people. Not everyone who hits us as being fake is a 3, and I also think to label them as such just because their Passion is "Deceit" misses the meaning of that device in the theory. 3's much more often come across to me as being smooth and put together on the outside, but nervous, wanting to be liked, driven, and even a bit shameful on the inside. Their need to be constantly doing something and moving stands out more than their being "fake." I also wouldn't necessarily call their enterprising nature shallow either, because there is a lot of more complex emotion and imaging that keeps their engine running. I actually find the inner world of Type 3's fascinating (if a bit hard to understand/relate with).

I'm not going to make any friends saying this, but the type I find extremely shallow when unhealthy is 9w8. This is especially true if we're talking about someone who would score low on "Openness," "Conscientiousness," or "Agreeableness" if they took the Big 5.

I won't discuss healthy 9w8 since neither they, nor any healthy type is really shallow by nature. But where unhealthy 9w1 tend to get caught up in minute details that don't matter, unhealthy 9w8 use pushback and sometimes even conflict to stay intentionally (even rebelliously) non-curious about anything. They numb themselves out to an extreme, which results in them either being 110% checked out mentally and emotionally, or being rebellious and edgy to people who ask something of them. The type descriptions describe this as kind of a "coarsening," for 9 of inquisitiveness and for 8 of softness. What I find realistically is that they get extremely dialed into doing stupid shit to pass the time, literally occupying themselves with mindless, pointless trivia while others come to them asking for help or for their thoughts - in so doing, neglecting themselves and others. Because they've checked out and because they fill their day doing nothing, they come across as being not only shallow and unproductive, but also unreachable. Conversations with them are also shallow, and they have a habit of shooting down anything that isn't "to the point" enough to their liking - meaning everything needs to be hyper-simplified if not outright coarsened, or they don't want to hear it.

Healthy or even moderately healthy 9w8 are still pretty straight forward too, but their simplicity is actually what makes them awesome in that case. They tend to be directly engaged with their environment and relationships rather than disconnected, so their thoughts and actions reflect reality in a direct and simple way that makes them great leaders and supporters.
I have a hard time imagining any 9 scoring low on agreeableness, even if with w8.

If anything an unhealthy 9w8 would sooner tap into neuroticism and engage in stubborn withdrawal than to be openly seeking of confrontation and disagreeable, I’ve noticed.

Your description seems to fit better with a stressed out Six that scores on the lower end of conscientiousness and becomes passive agressive and procrastinating.

Edit: But you’re right on the money when it comes to the low openness part.

·
Registered
557 Posts
To me, depth is a willingness to literally feel, listen to, and share from the depths of my body and being. What does it feel like on my skin? What if I go deeper — How do I feel being with my fluids — blood, lymph, water? And what about my bones and marrow? Bringing my attention to my heart space and allowing my attention to sink into what feels like a black hole that so many of us avoid that is actually a wormhole to multidimensional space. Feeling and being with my pain, my anger, my grief, and continuing deeper still til I come to... whole other worlds.

Maybe when we are entranced with our type, regardless of type, we are shallow? After all, our enneagram type is our personae, our masks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If I'm honest I can be shallow at times. I think I'm a 9w8 with a strong 3 fix. @Gilly That sounds right. The Heart types are focused on how others perceive them, so more likely to become shallow.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts