Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
MOTM Feb 2011
8,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who's husband is as above; very sensitive and emotional, also he seems to not be able to handle alot of stress. He would be an introvert going by other things I know of him. She is ISTJ and I want to know what type he is.

Reactions: ESFPlover

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I have a friend who's husband is as above; very sensitive and emotional, also he seems to not be able to handle alot of stress. He would be an introvert going by other things I know of him. She is ISTJ and I want to know what type he is.
Well, ISFJs can be sensitive, but so can all IxFx types. You'll have to give more information, maybe.

·
MOTM Feb 2011
8,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, come to think of it, I think there is a high chance he is a IXFJ. But my ISFJ is nowhere near as emotional as this guy.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Meh, this would be really hard to tell and may not even be type related. I've seen INTJs, ISTJs, and ESTJs break down and cry like babies. It's not common, but it does happen. Most of these are normally quite stoic. However, there are a few that are very sensitive and appear very emotional in their responses to things.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Depends on the state of their ego.

Any type under stress can be hypersensitive.

Different types will show it differently.
I vote infp moste likely to cry and estp most likely to get violent.

·
Registered
602 Posts
we'd need a little more information to even try to figure out his type. just basing it on how emotional he is and not dealing well with stress doesn't mean a particular type. any unhealthy personality type can be like that. even Ts can be very emotional or sensitive or Fs that won't show it.

but if i had to guess, id say ISFJ

·
MOTM Feb 2011
8,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The reason I don't think he is ISFJ is because my ISFJ (and others I am told) are very dutiful, whereas this guy lets his wife make decisions because he just can't seem to, often looking for her approval. She is more dominant & takes charge quite often. I suppose he could just be an unhealthy version of a type.

He has the ability to be good at connecting with people and sounding really confident & witty. But he will have one bad thing that happens in his day or week and he will cancel plans with the guys because he just can't cope. He prefers to hang out with only one or two mates at a time. Um, not sure what else I can say. I've never seen him lose his temper, but I think he is capable of getting pretty angry sometimes. He has no problem with giving, and also likes to spend money like it's going out of fashion.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
He doesn't necessarily have to be an IxFx. I know that even as an F, most of the time I am very cold and logical IRL. I'm thinking, though, that he might have dom or aux Fe that isn't properly matured. In that case, he wouldn't want to make decisions on his own, and would just let his wife tell him what to do.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
can you tell difference if he is Fi or Fe?
does he express how he feels? or does he often make moral judgements of other people? you said he is very sensitive and emotional but in what ways exactly? what triggers his emotions and sensitivity and how does he behave then?

·
Registered
75 Posts
This thread is bound to get messy for people are posting to two different notions: the person in description and the most sensitive type.
As for the latter, I don't believe there is a most sensitive type. I think by this you're suggesting unhealthy, and if I can also assume, this person is disturbing your ability to interact with his wife (and/or you wish to help him?). I wish you'd be able to share more.
No preference will show emotions. For example, I know an ISTJ Male that is crippled by them (I think in an introverted loop); until he blows up, and swells into tears.

Anyways, aside the point, From your description, i'd put him into the SJ triad from one perspective for the interest in 'people pleasing' (in the way that you described).
Introverted Sensing seems right (ISTJ and ISFJ)
I don't think the ISTJ is interested in emotions, but they are people pleasing (Not sure if I can explain this, but I feel it brings a conflict). I'm not sure yet why, and this may be for both ISTJ and ISFJ, but the ISTJ I know can't deal with his own emotions, as i've said. While it's probably more of a sign of unhealthiness, I think at healthiest, accepts their emotions, but finds not much stimulation or interest in them. (Whereas at unhealthy, they blame and fall onto the other for their uprooted disturbances)
The ISTJ also when emotional (and unhealthy) expects the other person to ease their emotion. It's strange as they blame the other person, then put all their reliance upon them...

I can't say for sure, but with what you said, ISFJ felt right. To which i'd also look at ISTJ for both of them.
(If she was ISTJ, and he was expecting her to bring his emotional security; then I can see a problem for him. The ISTJ I know is married to an INTJ and she isn't able to help with his breakdowns.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Any type with Fi. I equate Fi with deep emotions. I think enfp/infp esp. but one only shares emotions with a few close people and the other with... many. lol

i could be wrong

477 Posts
I think an Fi type would tend to retreat to a solitary place and cry (though I don't always cry when I'm sad; I'm more likely to think about the nature of sadness itself in silence... but that might be an N thing).

I associate (possibly erroneously) Fe with people who just start gushing whenever something really hurts their feelings, whether in private or public. I can't stand when people do this myself, but that's just me. (also worth noting that this probably happens more with xNFJ's, because SJ's would be too worried about maintaining the status quo and being "manly")

I also get very emotionally involved in music, movies, etc. Except I never cry in the *sad* parts, I cry after everything turns out well, because I know I'll never have a happy ending to my own life; again, probably an N thing (or a depression thing :crying:)

On a different note, INTP's can be sensitive? That's news to me. It seems that INTP's (and NT's in general) on these forums are totally devoid of emotion. If this isn't the case, I might have to start reconsidering my type as it's always been close (I feel emotion, I just make decisions with logic)

Reactions: camus11

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
On a different note, INTP's can be sensitive? That's news to me. It seems that INTP's (and NT's in general) on these forums are totally devoid of emotion. If this isn't the case, I might have to start reconsidering my type as it's always been close (I feel emotion, I just make decisions with logic)
That's silly...INTPs are not devoid of emotion. They're not robots...Fe is just their inferior function and they don't feel comfortable and in control with that side of themselves.

Reactions: camus11

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
This sounds a bit like my ISTP uncle (my aunt's husband), but he gets angry a lot and can be insistent on his way. However, he can't cope with anything. He cancels work, plans, whatever, because something upset him and he wants to be alone. He spends money he doesn't have because he refuses to compromise his lifestyle. He comes off as arrogant and likes to mock people/things a lot; he's very misanthropic. Even though he demands his way a lot, most of the responsibilities are dumped on my aunt because he doesn't want to be bothered to deal with them.

To me & most people, he seems extremely emotional and out of control.

It's hard to tell what type your friend's husband might be. I'd focus on trying to determine his thought process, which is not the same as his emotional process, although the two can "interact", so to speak.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts