Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know a few people who don't use tor, pay cash, spend hours of finding ways to hide from cameras and all that. They don't do anything wrong though. I have also met people online who didn't even tell me their name or location which is unusual...

Which types do you think are most likely to opt in and why? Maybe even what's the motivation for that?

I am mostly talking about privacy from data collection and online stuff, not talking about private things.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I see privacy as being something of a statistical concept. I don't really panic if a cookie manages to install itself and track my web habits because I know it's doing it to a million other computers at the same time. The chance that I will somehow be personally analyzed and scrutinized by human eyeballs is pretty low, but I still do take precautions even though I don't tend to get ultra-paranoid.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I can speak for myself only, but as an ENTP I value privacy in my personal life more than anyone else I know. I don't really think about leaving a credit card trail or things like that, but I can pretty much sweet talk anyone into telling me anything so I make a huge effort not to do that. I rarely ask personal questions and if I notice someone getting uncomfortable, I stop or change the topic of discussion. It allows people to tell me if/when they want to about their personal lives.

I expect the same respect in return, I will tell you when/if I want to, but you won't be hearing about my life 1 second before I'm ready to share. I always liked to have a few secrets, but that could just be personal preference and a lifetime of growing up reading about "the air of mystery".

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Si & Ni doms seem most likely generally speaking to be very private about data foot prints. At least the ones I know in RL.

I myself usually dont take great strides to preserve and hide personal details but I also dont usually offer them. Usually within reason if someone asks something I will answer genuine.

I think work would be a good example. For me its easier for me in those settings to talk about hobbies and interests. I find MANY other coworkers would rather talk about their family, or love interest. I noticed alot of co workers attach names to everyone. I usually if I bring up my family will just say my daughter not her name, and then say something small regarding an activity. I think its insane how people can reveal so much about their kids or relationships to people. Even dating wise I dont give my kids names on dates or humanize them or make them a topic to bond over. MANY MANY people say way too much about their children dating often to over project their parenting but I am usually thinking they are idiots for divulging so much personal stuff. At work when people describe every stupid thing their boyfriend does they sound like nut cases.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can speak for myself only, but as an ENTP I value privacy in my personal life more than anyone else I know. I don't really think about leaving a credit card trail or things like that, but I can pretty much sweet talk anyone into telling me anything so I make a huge effort not to do that. I rarely ask personal questions and if I notice someone getting uncomfortable, I stop or change the topic of discussion. It allows people to tell me if/when they want to about their personal lives.

I expect the same respect in return, I will tell you when/if I want to, but you won't be hearing about my life 1 second before I'm ready to share. I always liked to have a few secrets, but that could just be personal preference and a lifetime of growing up reading about "the air of mystery".
Your answer is interested but you misunderstood the question. It's about privacy about mass data collection.

Si & Ni doms seem most likely generally speaking to be very private about data foot prints. At least the ones I know in RL.

I myself usually dont take great strides to preserve and hide personal details but I also dont usually offer them. Usually within reason if someone asks something I will answer genuine.

I think work would be a good example. For me its easier for me in those settings to talk about hobbies and interests. I find MANY other coworkers would rather talk about their family, or love interest. I noticed alot of co workers attach names to everyone. I usually if I bring up my family will just say my daughter not her name, and then say something small regarding an activity. I think its insane how people can reveal so much about their kids or relationships to people. Even dating wise I dont give my kids names on dates or humanize them or make them a topic to bond over. MANY MANY people say way too much about their children dating often to over project their parenting but I am usually thinking they are idiots for divulging so much personal stuff. At work when people describe every stupid thing their boyfriend does they sound like nut cases.
Your answer is also interesting but not about what I meant, I meant privacy from data collection, so mostly online. Can we high five for a great answer though?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Your answer is interested but you misunderstood the question. It's about privacy about mass data collection.

Your answer is also interesting but not about what I meant, I meant privacy from data collection, so mostly online. Can we high five for a great answer though?
Seeing as my type is pro-privacy and you didn't precisely word your question, it can be concluded that I misunderstood nothing.

The topic of privacy can be multifaceted...you should think about allowing for all different opinions and interpretations of what privacy is because frankly, your mass data collection idea is too specific to be interesting.

You're welcome.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Regarding data collection, collecting for general demographic and/or tech optimization purposes are non-issues. But sharing more personal information about myself online with some random person who I don't know very well is more of a gray area for me. Personally I see no point in sharing personal detailed information online if I see no reason for the other person to have use of it, if it's not relevant to the discussion then what's the point? As far as financial transactions online, I just monitor my accounts for suspicious activities with email notifications and check my accounts at least once a week. Although, I do have a heightened concern for being hacked by data logging viruses and malware, I keep my important legal and financial information backed up on external hard-drives and not on my main drive. My tinfoil hat is loose enough to let air reach the roots of my hair follicles.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seeing as my type is pro-privacy and you didn't precisely word your question, it can be concluded that I misunderstood nothing.

The topic of privacy can be multifaceted...you should think about allowing for all different opinions and interpretations of what privacy is because frankly, your mass data collection idea is too specific to be interesting.

You're welcome.
Yes I edited the post now.... I do welcome different answer especially from some people of course!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes I edited the post now.... I do welcome different answer especially from some people of course!

Ah shit, I was supposed to throw in a wink face at the end.

Know that I intended to bring this thread to it's full potential with a smile! :bwink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts