Personality Cafe banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For instance, are ESTPs basically loud and outgoing ISTPs, and vice versa?

ENTPs and INTPs are another pair, they seem to think alike, it's just a difference in volume and socializing.

I know that as far as outward appearances, there are Es who think ALL of us Introverts are similar. In reality, I have almost no common ground with an ISFJ except that we both are quiet.

As for Ps and Js, that seems to be a big divide, to me at least. ESTPs are very different in lifestyle than ESTJs for example.

I know that S and N are considered a big difference. That I would agree with.

So, if there is already a thread or articles on this and you know where I can find them, I would appreciate the direction.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
I started a similar thread but didn't get many replies.
http://personalitycafe.com/myers-br...troverted-counterpart-e-vs-i-shadow-type.html

In my experience, "most similar" doesn't mean that two people of those types get along well.
E.g. I know an ENTJ who I can communicate with extremely easily. We get each other and the unsolicited advice and rude comments flow freely between us. But I don't really care about her all that much. I like my INTPs and ENTPs much better.
I'd say in terms of processes ENTPs and INTPs are more similar, but in terms of results ENTPs and INTJs are more similar.
In terms of processes ENTJs and INTJs are more similar, but in terms of results it's ENTJs and INTPs.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
I think it would depend on how you're gauging similarity. The true most similar pairs would be between introverts and extraverts who share the same dominant function. So Introverted Feelers/Extraverted Feelers because they are both feeling types meaning that they will inherently approach things the same way, despite one's preference for subjectivity over objectivity. Same would be true of all the others. INJs/ENPs, ESPs/ISJs and so on. Because both will make the same basic appeals to their habituated way of looking at things and have the same issues around their rejected or inferior perspectives.

If you are just going off of superficial similarities and differences or outward appearance then you might say something like INTP/ENTP, but I think this is a mistake because by virtue of being a Thinking type an INTP has more in common with an ENTJ than an ENTP, who is not an extraverted INTP but rather a different type altogether, an intuitive.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,428 Posts
Just in our opinion? Many, for different reasons. l don't know if you can get a truly objective analysis.

l personally think some I/E of the same general type are more different than others, too. l notice some ISTP seem to regard ESTP as too extroverted/lacking in Ni but again, just my observations.

ENTP-INTP may be the most similar to me, followed by ENFP-INFP although l think many ENFP regard INFPs as depressed.

There are only a few types that have been on my radar so l'm clueless about how the two counterparts view each other for others.

l've wondered how INTJ's see ENTJ's. l think INTJ and INFP are more similar than INTJ and ENTJ.

Like what LL mentioned, grouping by dominant function or both Ne or Ni might be interesting. l've seen a type interaction video with all intuitive doms...maybe not as similar as you'd think.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
For instance, are ESTPs basically loud and outgoing ISTPs, and vice versa?

ENTPs and INTPs are another pair, they seem to think alike, it's just a difference in volume and socializing.

I know that as far as outward appearances, there are Es who think ALL of us Introverts are similar. In reality, I have almost no common ground with an ISFJ except that we both are quiet.

As for Ps and Js, that seems to be a big divide, to me at least. ESTPs are very different in lifestyle than ESTJs for example.

I know that S and N are considered a big difference. That I would agree with.

So, if there is already a thread or articles on this and you know where I can find them, I would appreciate the direction.
This can get really murky. Depends on individuals as some ESTPs are more extroverted and showy than others. Some use their Fe more than others and tend to be nicer for it (care if people like them). Some have developed their Ni and are well rounded individuals. Some don't develop their Ti beyond serving their Se and can be particularly immature and offensive at times (I think I'm just a little guilty of this one).

Huge variations exist within types to the point that I don't think you can pair up similar types. Not just for ESTP's but I'm sure other types.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
l've wondered how INTJ's see ENTJ's. l think INTJ and INFP are more similar than INTJ and ENTJ.
Interesting observation. I think you've got a point there.
The ENTJ I work with does seem "similar" to me because we both work in education. So I know that she is a helpful person even if she expresses through Te. But some ENTJs on forums or in the media seem almost psychopathic to me..... I don't mean psychopathic as in "mass murderer". What I mean is they seem either totally unaware of how much of their motivation stems from Fi rather than Te. Or else, they seem like they'll use any means (fair or foul) to reach their aim but it seems their aims are drawn from the Te-hive mind -sphere rather than their own personal reflection. As crappy and unreliable as my Fi may be, it's 100 times better than an ENTJ's. Also, because their Fi is largely unconscious, they don't know the art of stealth as well as I do. Their maniuplations and involuntary outbursts of tough love are SOOOOOOOOOO obvious, even to me.
So yes, you could say INTJs (or at least me) are more like INFPs.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I am an ISFP. The ESFP I know -well I found we were very similar in terms of our attitude to life (laid back, pretty open minded prone to not future planning enough, value friendships and having fun) stuff like that. And we also had similar interests in some ways - music, sport, etc.

But we were actually completely different in our approach to life. I'm guessing due to him leading with Se and me with Fi. He spent most of his time actually doing stuff he was interested in and seemed to spend little time thinking about anything on a deeper level. For example I spend a lot of time thinking about my own feelings, other peoples feeling, and talking stuff like that over with close friends. He had little to zero interest in this.

While there was little about each other that would annoy the other, I think, I don't feel we really understood each other. We were actually quite different people. So I think what I mean is we were superficially similar but I found it hard to really connect with him. So I'm not sure if the extroverted/introverted pairs are necessarily the most similar. I feel more similar on a deeper level with other types. That I can think of, INFPs, and for some reason INFJs.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
I'll write some more just because I love intertype-relations and all that.
But I'm going to answer subjectively based solely on my personal experience. I think we'd need to collect data from people's actual experience rather than use some theoretical model to make predictions.

Soooooooo.... this is really complicated...... because .... well.... One of my best friends is an ESFJ. We aren't "similar" at all, but we still get along great. Also, another great friend of mine is an INFJ and we get along great. But when I overthink it, I don't get her Fe-Ti at all. Then I can have really interesting discussions with ISTPs on the net, but I'm at cross purposes with every single ISTP I know in real life..... Then I'm friends with some INTPs and they are great and I love them to death, but I find ENTPs easier to understand.

So I'm going to define "similar" as "I share/understand their usual concerns" and list types (or rather the individuals of that type that I happen to know in descending order, from most to least)

1. ISTJ/ ENTP/ INTP/ INFJ (all about roughly the same)
2. ENTJ
3. ISFP, INFP,
4. ESFP, ENFP, ENFJ

5. ESFJ
6. ISTP, ESTP
7. ISFJ, ESTJ

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Well I did find a similar thread.

One poster proposed these as most likely to be similar: ENFP/ENTP, and ESFP/ESTP
These are called companions on some website which I forgot and comparative relations in socionics.
I do think they could be the most similar type in that they would appear "the same" to an outside observer. I know that with my INFJ friend, sometimes I'm the INTJ and she's the INFJ and sometimes it's the other way round. We still use different functions, but I can sometimes produce a more "feelerish" result than her and she can sometimes sound more like a thinker than me.

Also, on these forums one of the most frequent "type me" questions is along the F/T dimension (Am I an INTJ or INFJ? Am I an ENFP or ENTP?).

Hum... sometimes funny things happen in real life interactions. E.g. when I'm talking to my INTJ friend, when one of us overstresses Te, the other will stress Fi. When one of us says an INTJ thing, the other will say an ENTP or ESFP thing. So I might end up looking more similar to my INFJ friend than the INTJ due to these strange dynamics. ???

·
Registered
45 Posts
Gifts Differing does briefly mention the closeness of types who only differ on the E/I preference.

Well, when I worked for years with a couple of ENTPs, I repeatedly scored higher than them in terms of precision accuracy design/problem-solving stuff. For example, in that sellotaped egg-rescuing from the ceiling exercise (the only work project that really mattered), my design successfully rescued the egg. Then the ENFP tutor accidentally trod on the egg. The two ENTP-run groups each failed to rescue the egg. I had taken into consideration possibilities that they had overlooked. The ENTPs had much greater breadth of interested topics though. They kept assuming that they could "read" me. They were terrible at reading me.

·
Banned
4,227 Posts
I think this can be divided different ways depending on how you want to define "similar."

Functionally, it's the rational and irrational pairs who share the same last three letters - ESFP/ISFP, ENTP/INTP, etc.

• The dominant and auxiliary functions are shared, so what the person says and how they go about it will be familiar. They will look very similar.
  • Because of the flip (Se-Fi vs. Fi-Se, etc) the emphasis will be different, and may even cause competition

In an interaction, you'll feel a lot of immediate similarity with the type that shares your dominant function - ISFJ/ISTJ, ESFP/ESTP, etc
  • The dominant function is shared, so what the person says will be immediately recognizable and familiar, and will feed your own dominant function
  • The auxiliary function is oppositional, so the way the person does something will be very different

Shared rationality of the same dominant function dichotomy will follow a similar outlooks (ESTJ/INTP, ENFJ/INFP, ENFP/INTJ, etc)
  • The dominant function is of the same rationality and letter, so there will be a similar prioritization and life rhythm. The need to take in information (P) or assess (J) is shared as a functional priority
  • The functions themselves are either entirely opposite or half different in orientation, so while the two may have the same general idea, their actual ways of going about it are again very different. "Right idea, wrong execution."

Take your opposite type and flip it's I/E to match yours (INTP/ISFJ, ESTP/ENFJ, ISTJ/INFP, etc)
  • Dario Nardi's neocortex testing showed that the typical brain patterns of these type pairs tended to match each other with age. Shared functions, reverse stacking, opposite rationality. Your dominant is their tertiary, and likewise.
  • The stack is still close to opposite, so misunderstandings can occur

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
ISFPs and ISTPs are two types I'd say fit the same archetype (most ISFPs aren't 4s).

INTPs are more awkward and stiff than ENTPs, so the difference between them is obvious. ENFP and ENTP are tougher to distinguish, but the former is usually more clearly dreamy, colorful and idealistic, while the latter is more practical and realistic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.