Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To expand on the vagueness of the title question, I have gathered from my research into the ENTJ type, combined with reading excerpts from several self-labelled users on this site, that the ENTJ is one of the most critical when it comes to determining suitable individuals for either a) friendship or b) relationships.
This is understandable, given the ENTJ's preference for 'effectiveness' as a motivator in decision-making.

I would like to ask if as many of you as possible could give feedback as to which types (if any) that you consider to be among your successful friends and relationship(s).
I'm well aware that several factors come into play here, besides cognitive functions.
May I stress therefore that this is an merely an attempt to perform a simple statistic analysis, collated from your answers, in determining if a correlation between Myers Briggs typology and relationship satisfaction does exist, assuming of course that the sample size is large enough such that a decent correlation of data may be made.

NB: determining a suitable sample size has been something of a challenge in itself. From my research, I have read that the demographics of the ENTJ subtype are estimated at ''4-5% of the total population''. Some sites have made this in reference to the American population, and some have been less specific.
However,, several sample size calculators have stated that if the population size exceeds 20,000 people, then the required sample size will remain constant.
Given the US population is approximated at 318 million (as of 2014), this would equate to about 12.7 million ENTJs in the US alone.

According to ''checkmarket.com'', to gain a confidence level of 95%, and a margin of error of 5%, I therefore would require answers from 385 ENTJ users.

I'm pretty certain there aren't that many ENTJ users actively using this site, at least at the present moment, so this of course will stand as a limiting factor of this investigation.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am pretty skeptical on how much typing affects friendship. Looking back at my friends, they have been of all personality types. What seems to much important is having a shared interest that you can bond over. So if having a similar type means you are more interested in similar things, than I get there might be something to it.

As for relationships I haven't had nearly enough to formulate a proper option, but my guess would be as long as the 2 people are well rounded any types can have a great relationship.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Opening a poll might be a bit more helpful- we can just check things off, so you're more likely to get the responses you need.

Friends: INTJ, INTP, xNTP, INFP, ISTJ, some ISFJ, some INFJ
Romantically: IxFP (I think that's what he was, could have been an ENFP), INTP

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
INxJs are great as friends, I get along with several ENFJs as well. Then there are xSTPs to talk randomly with, sometimes it's nice not to make a huge production of conversations/having them meaningful.

Relationship wise, longest was with INTJ, but that ended and I don't think I'd date another. He's my second INTJ and it... might sounds uncharacteristic/stereotype breaking coming from an ENTJ, but as it happened, eventually I'd find their elitist-arrogance offputting, and I'd leave.

I'm also partial to ENTP and ISTP, but not sure about long term possibilities.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I agree with @Vanitas in that INxJs are great friends, along with ENxPs. ENFJs are easy to talk to but I don't find myself being best friends with them (not that I don't want, it just doesn't happen).
Relationship wise, I've had the best relationships with ENFPs. They keep me on my toes and are a fun bunch. I would like to answer INFP but I've only dated one and he was unhealthy...

·
Registered
427 Posts
I agree with @Vanitas in that INxJs are great friends, along with ENxPs. ENFJs are easy to talk to but I don't find myself being best friends with them (not that I don't want, it just doesn't happen).
Relationship wise, I've had the best relationships with ENFPs. They keep me on my toes and are a fun bunch. I would like to answer INFP but I've only dated one and he was unhealthy...

·
Registered
69 Posts
My dearest friends are: ENTP, ISFJ, ESTP, ESTJ.

About romantic relationships: INFJ, INFP, INTJ. (Not sure)

According to ''checkmarket.com'', to gain a confidence level of 95%, and a margin of error of 5%, I therefore would require answers from 385 ENTJ users.

I'm pretty certain there aren't that many ENTJ users actively using this site, at least at the present moment, so this of course will stand as a limiting factor of this investigation.
I am afraid I can't help you much with your research... Not doing your business, have you tried randomization?

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Don't give a damn much about friendship. Don't have much time for that and most all female friends are past flames or future interest.

As a work partner. Istp, intp, estj.

As a lover. Intp. Lots of work, very worth it.

Reactions: Intpee

·
Banned
2,383 Posts
Some of you guys answer INFP, but I have a feeling you ENTJs aren't so sure about MBTI :p

Give me the benefit of the doubt: You actually want INTP.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I've only ever dated Te Doms with the exception of an INFP.

It's... It just happened. Perhaps there's a correlation to my being attracted to aggressive butch women in uniform?

·
Registered
127 Posts
@platorepublic
I think the whole deal with INFP/ENTJ is that both ENTJ and INFP tend to be idealistic about romance. So upon the initial mesh, both the ENTJ and INFP fuel the ENTJ/INFP hype, and generalizes the pairing into the one true, perfect thing for all ENTJs and INFPs.

Realistically speaking, I'm truly frustrated by most INFP hero-worshipping me, passive-aggressively resenting me or imposing their ideals on me. Yes, exceptions apply. Yes, people are individuals. But seriously. I regret it every time I don't spot and avoid an INFP fast enough.

I can't really see ENTJ/INTP working out in the long run either? I have a few as amazing friends. But I can't imagine dating them.

I'm frequently attracted to ESTP, but I know it's short-term lust.
I'm partial to ISFJ or ESTJ for long term. It works since I tend to act a lot more like an ESFP (Se-Fi) when in a relationship.

ENTJ are the most romantically diverse of all groups, it seems. Yep.

·
Banned
2,383 Posts
@platorepublic
I think the whole deal with INFP/ENTJ is that both ENTJ and INFP tend to be idealistic about romance. So upon the initial mesh, both the ENTJ and INFP fuel the ENTJ/INFP hype, and generalizes the pairing into the one true, perfect thing for all ENTJs and INFPs.

Realistically speaking, I'm truly frustrated by most INFP hero-worshipping me, passive-aggressively resenting me or imposing their ideals on me. Yes, exceptions apply. Yes, people are individuals. But seriously. I regret it every time I don't spot and avoid an INFP fast enough.

I can't really see ENTJ/INTP working out in the long run either? I have a few as amazing friends. But I can't imagine dating them.

I'm frequently attracted to ESTP, but I know it's short-term lust.
I'm partial to ISFJ or ESTJ for long term. It works since I tend to act a lot more like an ESFP (Se-Fi) when in a relationship.

ENTJ are the most romantically diverse of all groups, it seems. Yep.
I don't know if gender roles play a role...

Ok, be diverse if you want. Be free, Excalibur!

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
As an INTP I'm curious to know what the end reward you're talking about is. Do you like INTPs for the sake of a challange or is it something else?

Please elaborate.
The challenge is great. The spotinaity Is nice and I take spending time around them as a form of personal self improvement. While I also like that I can help with the indecisiveness of an intp.

I like that they are independent and don't need to be in a relationship, the only reason they are is because they really really want to be. Also being someone that an intp can fully open up to is fascinating. It's great to be the one guy that an intp is unfiltered for. And in the same way they enjoy being who go to when I want to be alone. When I want to be introspective and turn off the game show.

Not to mention I have never met an intp that does not see eye to eye on sexual values and is anything less than amazing when it comes to traditional benefits of a relationship. Not to mention you have to work for it. And not to mention it is fully loyal and exclusive to you. That's something I'll buy into.

A lot of work when it come to communication styles and their indecisiveness not to mention need for independence. But if you learn how to work them, they lead to relationships of grandeur and I seek grandeur in everything.

DISCLAIMER: all things I find valuable in the intp/ entj relationship I half put up to gender roles and how our types work to fit gender roles quite perfectly. I WOULD NOT suggest and intp male entj female relationship.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
DISCLAIMER: all things I find valuable in the intp/ entj relationship I half put up to gender roles and how our types work to fit gender roles quite perfectly. I WOULD NOT suggest and intp male entj female relationship.
Why do you not recommend INTP-male and ENTJ-female relationships?

I live in a very non-traditionalist country (Sweden) where people are a bit more open minded about gender roles. We still have traditionalists of course but as and INTP I don't give a single fuck about what people think of me and I doubt if I had a female ENTJ partner she would care about fitting into society's gender roles.

·
Registered
127 Posts

I live in a very non-traditionalist country (Sweden) where people are a bit more open minded about gender roles. We still have traditionalists of course but as and INTP I don't give a single fuck about what people think of me and I doubt if I had a female ENTJ partner she would care about fitting into society's gender roles.
Nah, no one cares about tradition.
From my friendships with INTP, it's natural for the INTP to follow and the ENTJ to lead. More accurately, the INTP thinks, the ENTJ streamlines and the ENTJ tells other people (including INTP) how to carry it out.

Over time, I always feel that the INTPs I know wasted that brilliant mind of theirs in procrastination, disorganization and lack of direction. I get frustrated and resentful that if I want anything done within a ENTJ-INTP relation, I have to do all the work. You guys just don't go for things as quickly, passionately or decisively as we do. I know it's because you guys have low emotional-maintenance and low need for human contact, but I'm not desperate enough to chase after you all the time either.

I think it's intrinsic for most females to prefer a guy that's more assertive/manly/dominant than her. I think that's the kind of gender roles @BIGJake111 means?

Edit: Also, I always feel pressured to pay for INTPs. This is a huge red flag in my dating standards.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts

I'm not talking about some cook and clean the house shit. Just saying the extroverted male chasing the artistic knowledgable introspective girl is quite valuable.

Also if I was an entj female Id never seek a committed relationship.

Reactions: Intpee
1 - 20 of 53 Posts