Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dislike pure silence. I began putting a clip-on fan next to my pillow as a kid, falling asleep to the endless THRUMMMMM vibrating around me. As an adult, I find silence to be intolerable, and am always seeking out "benevolent", repetitive, unceasing-type noises to fill my background with. Various mechanical/electrical hums(refrigerator), a fan, an air conditioner, consistent car traffic moving outside the window, rain, many more.

I bring this up because recently my air conditioner began to thrummm inconsistently and make spurt-y noises in between the hum of air and so I stuck a piece of cardboard into the vent in frustration(that'll teach it) and the blade inside shattered! If I turn on my air conditioner, it rattles like an angry beast, all those little broken fan pieces. I'm too afraid to tell my managers what I've done, as I rent this studio apartment and talk to them as little as possible.

Do you sleep with noise? Or use it in your day-to-day life? Maybe use it isn't the right word, but working within the noise, sub- and consciously(especially if I has suddenly ceased!)

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,369 Posts
personally I find white-noise tiring and grating. I love silence! I always have liked quiet, even though I like music a lot too, I often feel like there is so much background noise in my head constantly that additional real-world noises just clash and make it overwhelming. I really almost always have some song playing in the background of my mind, or it's spitting random phases and words at me on repeat.

Also, I tend to have the least tollerance for rhythmic sounds, some tollerance for constant sounds like you mention, and I barely even notice more random sounds that are itermittant and unpredictable.

I have a friend who needs that kind of white-noise you speak of though. She always has a fan going in her room, even if it's not warm, she just has it pointed away from her so she can still have the noise.

·
Registered
16,179 Posts
I love silence. It's empowering to me. Helps my concentration.

I have gone whole days with no TV, radio, or music playing in my home and with just the windows open and the sounds from outside coming in. One of my fav things is no noise inside my home, but windows open and the breeze blowing in the trees and birds chirping.

I cannot sleep with music playing, but husband likes it when he's falling asleep, so what we have been doing for many years is setting the iPod or radio to play for 15 minutes before we go to sleep.

I think I really do understand and appreciate the saying "Silence Is Golden".

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I love silence. Quiet enfolds me like a familiar friend and my mind, finally, begins to unwind. I find unnecessary noise to be a chafing annoyance. My husband, on the other hand, likes to have a constant background noise on.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think I've ever lived with silence. I have been getting used to silence in the last week or two, and it is very disturbing, I am on edge, waiting for a sudden unwanted sound to shatter the peace. I prefer to make my own silence(white noise) than live with one that's so fragile(real silence). But your descriptions of the natural silence you enjoy sound like something worth getting used to and appreciating.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
how interesting that people seem to be so split over this! (so far anyway). When I was a teenager, I had lots of disturbing thoughts and I think I blotted them out with constant music - when I was sleeping too. Now I love silence. I find it so peaceful, I think I would go a bit mad it there wasn't large swathes of silence in my life.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I love the sound of a fan, especially an oscillating one. It conjures up warm quiet summer nights, with crickets singing. Very soothing. On the whole, I love quiet. I am fine without noise.

On the converse, I love construction sounds (like power tools), or garage sounds (motors), or vacuums, any noise that draws up images of someone working. It puts me at ease and makes me want to work too. lol Ah, I'm so flaky.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
ah! yes! i always have my poor fan running (it's on right now! lol) it takes the edge off of everything. makes me feel like it's okay to be loud and it numbs every other sound. it's almost like a warm feeling at this point.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
It depends on my mood. Sometimes I need the white background sound (Soft music, the TV on, or the little fan next to my bed.) and sometimes I need pure silence. I for one am terrified of the dark when it's super quiet, so I tend to fall asleep with the little fan on to curb my already nasty phobia of the dark. It might be a childhood thing, though; did your parents made you fall asleep to that kind of white noise in the past? If so, you've gotten used to it and now you are conditioned to finding silence as a terrifying thing to deal with.

·
Registered
IXFP 9w1 4w5 6w7 Pisces
955 Posts
I used to love sleeping in absolute silence or sometimes with a bit of music.

After living with my friend who always slept with the TV on though, I've not been able to sleep well in silence...

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I could go both ways, I have a fan on at night for temp control and noise. But I also don't own a tv so any time I'm at home not sleeping it's pretty quiet. At work it's power tools all day long, followed by a 30 min drive home in silence. I also like to listen to music while I'm taking a shower.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I'm a light sleeper and a serious sleeper. I have an electric fireplace beside my bed that I turn on while sleeping, the fan sound drowns out any noise and my room is all nice and warm :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
If I can't attain a silent atmosphere I usually have the fan going for that light humming sound it makes, even in the dead of winter. Something about the familiarity and constancy of the sound is relaxing. Next best thing to silence in my opinion.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
I like silence, but I also like having a movie running or my radio talk show or something. Makes me feel like I'm not alone--guess I like that feeling.

·
Banned
670 Posts
i like my silence when sleeping or doing anything that requires my full attention. However, if i'm relaxing, doing work that doesn't require my attention, or building something than i like music. But only my music. other music annoys me.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I never even realized that white noise was a thing until I had my baby and bought a white noise machine for his room. He slept in our room for the first two months, so that thing was right next to my head playing womb sounds. For the first couple nights it distracted me, but then when I moved him and the machine into his bedroom, I was sad and the room was strangely too silent. I have turned it up loud enough that I can hear it throughout the whole house and leave it on all day now. I barely hear it any more, but I love it. It's very soothing...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts