Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A little help please defining what type I am~ Thanks

1. What drives you in life? What do you look for?

I seek to understand living, to master all of its secrets. I want to find out the secret of not giving an absolute shit about what other people think, and get away with doing my own thing without anyone judging me. I don't desire to be liked really, just to be tolerated and not bothered. I seek to be the master of myself.

2. What do you hope to accomplish in your life?

I want to get this manga I'm working on with my sweetheart finished, and somehow make enough money where I can help others less fortunate than I. I would love to buy a big complex and rent out rooms for cheap to lower income families who are struggling. I think it would bring them a sense of accomplishment and control back into their life without worrying if they're going to be able to pay for basic things like food and medical care.

3. What do you hope to avoid doing or being? What values are important to you?

I hope to avoid debt of any kind to others, whether it's monetary, karmic, or just personal. I also fear hurting anyone.

4. What are your biggest fears (not including phobias)? Why?

Having a pointless existence, failure, not being able to help others in any way, being thought of as ignorant and stupid.

5. How do you want others to see you? How do you see yourself?

I want people to view me as distant, loving, and intelligent. I see myself as intense, self-absorbed, and overly critical. -sigh-

6. What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?

Solving the problems of a friend, realizing that something I read about or thought about turned out to be right. Whenever something I say or do touches the heart of another in some way. I also love it when I can reach a compromise with someone whom I've had difficulties with. What makes me feel at my worst is when I lose someone I care about deeply, people hate on me for reasons I can't control, when I cause hurt for another without realizing it, or can't find the surefire answer to something.

7. Describe how you experience each of: a) anger; b) shame; c) anxiety.

All of them are experienced by varying degrees of relentless emotional and mental badgering of myself. While I've never self-harmed or harmed anyone else in any way, and most of my outbursts are brief and short lived, I do get aggressive and start throwing things, slamming my fists on the table, breaking glasses, etc. I never show it around anyone else though, only my love has seen it, and it's only once or twice that she has.

8. Describe how you respond to each of: a) stress; b) unexpected change; c) conflict.

With stress, I analyze, juggle around possible causes until I find the source, and then analyze some more until I find a solution that I feel would get rid of it. With unexpected change, eh, it varies. My initial thought towards change isn't very good, but oftentimes I come to appreciate it once it's over, as it often makes me a wiser, better person, even if it was unpleasant. Conflict...I avoid it like the plague. I don't like arguments and it upsets me greatly...many times I've squashed my gut feelings and said "ok you're right, I'm wrong" just to get people off my case. I really don't understand how people get off on challenging others.

9. Describe your orientation to: a) authority; b) power. How do you respond to these?

I. Hate. Authority. I don't like bossing others around, and I hate it when people boss me around. I've always figured, so long as I don't harm anyone, why the heck can't I do what I like? I will follow society's rules to an extent, but you can be damned sure I'm always looking for loopholes of any kind. Power...I don't know. I kind of dislike it, as its often misused. But when people wield power with respect and kindness, and don't use it to force others to do their bidding or use it to make decisions for others, but rather just to carve a niche for themselves in the world, I think it's a great tool to have.

10. What is your overall outlook on life and humanity?

It is the biggest challenge I've ever faced...I am very much aware of how small and ineffective I am in the whole grand scheme of things. I view all life as very precious and that it must be loved and cared for.

Optional Questions

11. Discuss an event that has impacted your life significantly; more importantly, how you responded to it.

Before my current sweetie, I fell hard for another guy in a long distance relationship. He was distant, calm, gentle, and very loving...pretty much everything I wanted to be. We had a pretty good relationship for two years, but then he confessed to not 'feeling the connection' between us anymore. No other explanation. It upset me, and at first I clung to him after he said he wanted to remain friends with me. Shortly after, he started dating this girl who I had suspicions on for a while. She was the one he apparently was talking to in regards as to whether or not he should break up with me. When I found that out, I pretty much effed the whole thing and blocked him/deleted him, and moved residences so he could never find me again.

It wasn't until three years later when I finally approached him again online, cause I felt ready to apologize and to tell him that I was immature to just ditch him without warning. He had since dropped the chick I disliked so much (who according to him, wound up very domineering and had no empathy for what HE wanted to do), and had fallen in love with a girl I knew very well, she was a mutual friend. And I was very happy for both of them. I had no anger or sadness, just happy to see him with someone who was kind and beautiful, and completed him in a way that I couldn't. I attended their wedding and had a blast. That was the last time I talked to them, and probably the last time I will. But I still remember him fondly, I still very much want to be like him. He's still the same...and I have a long way to go still.

12. Comment on your relationship with trust.

I trust people pretty easily. I've got a really good intuitive sense as to when a person is honest. Yes I have been duped before, but only two times (and they hurt a LOT) that I remember out of my entire 34 year old existence.

13. List some of the traits you: a) like; b) dislike most about yourself.

For some reason I like the fact that when somebody rants at me, even when it is someone I'm close to, I can easily form an argument to the other party's defense, while I am listening and being supportive to the ranting party. I also like how I generally don't have to look for love, it just comes to me. I dislike how angry I get when people start arguing with me and act like they're superior. I also dislike the fact how I have a tendency to overthink some things, and wind up taking a long convoluted way to solve a problem, only to be informed by someone that there was a much easier way.

14. What do you see or notice in others that most people don't?

I can tell a person's mood pretty quickly, and have an incredible knack of knowing who's being honest with me and who isn't. I don't know how either...I don't see auras, I don't really read their face...I just kind of 'know.' It's weird, but insanely helpful.

15. If a stranger insults you, how do you respond/feel? What if they compliment you?

If a stranger insults me, I just stare at them like a deer in headlights for a bit, before heading on my way and trying to squash my mental ramblings of (what the heck did I do to make him say that? was it my mismatched socks? Did I forget to smile again?). If a stranger compliments me, I get suspicious, even if part of me likes it.

16. What's something you are: a) thankful you have; b) wish you could have? Why?

I am thankful for having a sweetheart who completely understands me, lets me be myself, and lets me have my space. I'm even more thankful I can give her the attention she needs. I wish I had more talent (I am a mediocre writer at best...that's it.) and willpower though, to achieve my dreams.

Have fun! Or not.

Reactions: ENTPfemme

·
Registered
281 Posts
A little help please defining what type I am~ Thanks

2. What do you hope to accomplish in your life?

I want to get this manga I'm working on with my sweetheart finished, and somehow make enough money where I can help others less fortunate than I. I would love to buy a big complex and rent out rooms for cheap to lower income families who are struggling. I think it would bring them a sense of accomplishment and control back into their life without worrying if they're going to be able to pay for basic things like food and medical care.

3. What do you hope to avoid doing or being? What values are important to you?

I hope to avoid debt of any kind to others, whether it's monetary, karmic, or just personal. I also fear hurting anyone.

4. What are your biggest fears (not including phobias)? Why?

Having a pointless existence, failure, not being able to help others in any way, being thought of as ignorant and stupid.

5. How do you want others to see you? How do you see yourself?

I want people to view me as distant, loving, and intelligent. I see myself as intense, self-absorbed, and overly critical. -sigh-

6. What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?

Solving the problems of a friend, realizing that something I read about or thought about turned out to be right. Whenever something I say or do touches the heart of another in some way. I also love it when I can reach a compromise with someone whom I've had difficulties with. What makes me feel at my worst is when I lose someone I care about deeply, people hate on me for reasons I can't control, when I cause hurt for another without realizing it, or can't find the surefire answer to something.

8. Describe how you respond to each of: a) stress; b) unexpected change; c) conflict.

With stress, I analyze, juggle around possible causes until I find the source, and then analyze some more until I find a solution that I feel would get rid of it. With unexpected change, eh, it varies. ... Conflict...I avoid it like the plague. I don't like arguments and it upsets me greatly...many times I've squashed my gut feelings and said "ok you're right, I'm wrong" just to get people off my case. I really don't understand how people get off on challenging others.

10. What is your overall outlook on life and humanity?

It is the biggest challenge I've ever faced...I am very much aware of how small and ineffective I am in the whole grand scheme of things. I view all life as very precious and that it must be loved and cared for.

Optional Questions

14. What do you see or notice in others that most people don't?

I can tell a person's mood pretty quickly, and have an incredible knack of knowing who's being honest with me and who isn't. I don't know how either...I don't see auras, I don't really read their face...I just kind of 'know.' It's weird, but insanely helpful.
I bolded the parts I thought were indicative of a 2 - The Giver. I definitely think you're a 2, but I'm really not sure of the wing. I also have the exact same thing with "knowing who's being honest with me" and I thought I was the only one! You could be 2w1 from your analytical and judging nature under stress, and reluctance to admit other people are wrong.

Maybe you're Jean Valjean then? 24601!

Read this and let me know if you relate to any of it!

http://personalitycafe.com/type-2-forum-helper/65602-type-two-helper-timeless-description.html

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
You're a 2w1, and a pretty classic example of one. ^_^ That's a good thing, by the way. :) Also, epic reference! I think your head fix could easily be Six, and probably 6w7 at that. Your gut fix is either One or Nine. If it is Nine, it's 9w1. If it's One, it's probably 1w9. I think 1w9 is more likely your gut fix.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@mpobrien , Wake -

Knowing who's honest with you is a neat little thing to have isn't it? xD

I agree with you for the most part, especially the 2 type. I do love to help others (I counsel people online), and work hard to practice what I preach. I also know I put way too much value on what other people think of me...if I come across as mean and uncaring, I take it very hard, especially if it's from someone whom I hold in high regard or someone close to me. Last thing I want to appear is unsympathetic and heartless.

The 1 type...I dunno. Thing is with 1s, they supposedly are very organized, detail orientated and such. I am haphazard and very unorganized, and sadly enough, I'm one of the masses flailing their arms uselessly when crap goes down, not the one bringing order >< Please correct me if I'm wrong...but Ones...aren't they also the people of action? My dreams...I often have no idea as to how I'm going to get there...anytime I start working on them, I get sidetracked or get discouraged and give up.

I'm also a rather weak person as a whole when it comes to fighting for what I believe in, cause except for a couple core beliefs, I have no idea what to fight for, if I'm even supposed to fight at all. All I would like to see is for people to respect life and harm none. And I am full aware that what constitutes 'life' for one may not mean 'life' for another. Maybe that's my crusade? To keep humanity from trying to control everything and judge everyone they meet?

Also, all my critical nitpicking just goes to me really. Even when I'm severely unbalanced, If I hold criticism for others, it's all kept inside and generated towards myself for not being understanding and forgiving enough. I won't let my raging inner critic to attack anyone else. Maybe I'm a seriously dysfunctional One wing, and my Two personality is overwhelming it? Or perhaps there are other factors I might need to consider.?

@Julia Bell

Can you explain to me what gut fixes and head fixes are? Thank you. :)

@ Chexie &mpobrien

Glad my thread title amused you. xD I'm a huge Les Miserables fan so yeah. :)

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
@Sayonara - Sure! ^_^ You know about the tritype, right? The Nine types are divided into three categories, if you will: the Head triad, the Body (or Gut) triad, and the Image (or Heart) triad. Types 2,3, and 4 are the Image triad, types 5,7, and 7 are the Head triad, and types 8, 9 and 1 are the Body triad. Your tritype is basically taking one type from each triad. And one of those three types is your core. The other two are commonly referred to as "fixes".

So I was saying that your core was most likely 2w1 (Image), your Gut fix most like 1w9, and your Head fix most likely 6w7. Also, the order in which the last two numbers fall really depends on how "strong" they are for you. That's probably not the best way of putting it. Somebody can come and correct me. XD

Oh yeah, by the way, nobody has said you are a One. However, if you are wondering about the 2w1... Having a One wing -- heck, even being a One -- doesn't mean you are detailed oriented or organized. Or even all that calm and collected! You seem to value self-control and have these core "morals", if you will. You "judge" - not in a nasty sort of way. For instance, I have a 1w9 as my gut fix. Also, 2w1 is my image fix. So I have plenty of One within me. I was reluctant, at first, to say 1w9 was my gut fix because I'm not really critical. I'm not action-focused. I'm actually (not to be brag-ish) accepting of peoples' faults. I thought my gut fix (haha, I even thought it was my core for a while) was 9w1.

I greatly dislike conflict. It does make me feel uncomfortable (later I would realize this was due to the Nine wing + the Six in me), but I realized that I didn't feel comfortable because I was very aware that I had to have self control. I saw people acting on their anger and saw the tension and new it shouldn't be happening and knew I shouldn't get into it, and that made me uncomfortable. It took me a really long time to get down to the bottom of that reasoning. But really, the main thing that gave away the 1w9 gut fit as well as the 2w1 image fix was the fact that I am very self critical. I take anger and turn it inwards. I don't go easy on myself. And my flaws make me feel ugly, and sometimes they just feel very apparent. It makes me feel shameful, too.

One is actually more of an "idealist" than anything else. It's kind of like looking outside at the world and seeing how things could be. It's like thinking, "If only things were perfect..."

But anyway, some links. This site has some of the best type descriptions (in my opinion) out there:

Twos - the enneagram ...info from the underground
Ones - the enneagram ...info from the underground

·
Registered
281 Posts
@Sayonara I don't know what I would do without being able to tell who's being honest with me lol! I just actually ended in a production of Les Mis so I was really excited when I saw your title :).

I would comment more about Ones, but I think @Julia Bell summed it up very well. I have a One as my gut fix, and for me it's seeing what I can do for myself to make myself perfect, I'm not really as critical of others. I definitely think that when Julia referred to them as Idealists it was a perfect example. Ones seek to correct evil and injustice through perfection, but it's up to you to take that and apply it to yourself. What is perfect for you? Is it having all of your friends in harmony with each other, and you find your perfection and happiness through that? The Enneagram, to me, is about taking your type and making it your own. Descriptions can lead you astray sometimes.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@julia
I get where you're coming from now...it's nice to know things aren't really black and white with these. Just those few things you read between the lines for me helped put things into perspective. I've always thought I had One tendencies with the perfectionist thing. Even now Sir Critique a Lot is active and telling me make sure that 2w1 is the 'correct' type, lol XD. *slaps it* Shaddap, you.

But the last line you showed me I think brought me around to fully accept the One side of me. "If only things were perfect". Idealistic indeed lol

I took a Tritype test..and wound up being something like 9w1, 4w5, 5w4 on it. Talk about odd. I don't think I'm a 4 at all. 5 I dunno. I do have a tendency to overthink things. What happened to the 2 though? I'll see if I can find another. 9 is pretty close to me, especially when you throw in the One wing, but I think I still need to do some research.

Either way thank you for your assistance, it's very much appreciated. I'll continue paying close attention to my motivations and how I instinctively act around others to get a more clearer picture. I'll look into the 6 and 7 types just for kicks as well. :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@mpobrien
Did you really now? Sweet! What role are you going to play? It's one of my very favorite musicals, and books for that matter. :)
I have a One as my gut fix, and for me it's seeing what I can do for myself to make myself perfect,
That's another great way to look at it, my drive for perfection is on myself, not towards others. I tend to see other people as more perfect than me if anything lol. Julia did indeed do a wonderful job of putting stuff into place. ^^

·
Registered
281 Posts
This is my favorite Enneagram test if you'd like to try it. It gives you percentages for each type, and whenever I take it I always get the most for 3 (my core) second most for 1(gut fix) and the 3rd most for 7(head fix). It's only about 10 minutes tops. Try it and post what you get! :)

Personality Online - Online personality, relationship and apptitude tests, find out who you are today!

I was doubled as Valjean and Marius, so it was a lot of work lol. It's definitely one of my top musicals, but I haven't gotten around to the book yet, sadly. It's just too long to find time for.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
@%1;, I would just focus on your core Enneagram type and grow comfortable with how that shows in your actions first. Tritype is a theory in which I personally am against, and I also feel dealing with it so early confuses newcomers. You're a 2, and you fit the 2w1 stereotype. Research and do introspective thought to understand yourself better. Good luck!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@mpobrien: I tied between a 2 and 9 type personality according to that test, (78%) a 1 was my wing(70%). 8 wasn't too far behind. (68%) I'm starting to think it's all in how the questions are worded.

Valjean and Marius? Holy...that would be very difficult to pull off! Congrats to you! :) As for the book, I find much richer than the musical, at least to me. The musical though, gosh it's much more inspiring, nothing like a round of "One Day More" to boost up what little drive I have. <3

@Wake: Thanks for your feedback. :) I will continue to research, though you saying I fit in with a stereotype is kind of disheartening. I dunno... I thought I had more depth than that. Unless I am misinterpreting words again? If I am, I apologize. ^^;

Reactions: mpobrien

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
@Wake : Thanks for your feedback. :) I will continue to research, though you saying I fit in with a stereotype is kind of disheartening. I dunno... I thought I had more depth than that. Unless I am misinterpreting words again? If I am, I apologize. ^^;
Not so much that, but that the wing theory is only formed by stereotypes and have no point of origin. As they studied different types, 2s included, they found that some seem a little more like a 3 or a 1, then call them 2w1 or 2w3. When someone is more 1 than 3 I say they're 2w1, but I don't act like it really means that much. I give much value to the core type and your upbringing which formed why you are the way that you are. The definitions do vary though from my experience.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Wake:

Ah I understand what you are getting at now. :) Makes me wonder then, why the wing combinations are limited to just certain wing types for each core. I mean, why not a 9w7 wing or something lol D:

You're right on it being confusing for newcomers. I'll just digest the information a bit at a time.

Reactions: Wake

·
Registered
281 Posts
@Wake:

Ah I understand what you are getting at now. :) Makes me wonder then, why the wing combinations are limited to just certain wing types for each core. I mean, why not a 9w7 wing or something lol D:

You're right on it being confusing for newcomers. I'll just digest the information a bit at a time.
Well there called wings because on the actual enneagram diagram, the numbers adjacent to each other are the "wings." You can think of the core as the body of a bird, and then the numbers I each side are its wings.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@mpobrien:
Ohh based off the diagram itself, all right. :) Thank you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts