Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on and off this MBTI treadmill for a few years now. Most of the online tests give me INFP but I feel like I don't share some of the traits that I've seen in INFP groups here on PerC and on Facebook. I decided to use a questionnaire posted by another user in this forum because I liked the wording of the questions.

Personal Concepts
1. What is beauty? What is love?
Beauty is frequently overlooked because people are too busy to notice that it is all around us. I don't understand people to whom beauty is something that can be overlooked because I am easily overwhelmed by it in various forms, however I acknowledge that this is a subjective experience and some people just have no interest in it.
Love is the desire to possess or to hold something, either physically or in the mind, combined with the desire to let the object of our affection be free and truly itself. That which we truly love, we do not seek to control or contain.

2. What are your most important values?
I'm not sure what my values are, as these tend to be something that I am not really aware of until I am forced to voice an opinion on an issue, at which point I explore options and make a decision. I do value my own intelligence and the freedom to pursue my interests - intellectual and artistic - to come to a deeper understanding of who I am and my place in the world.

3. Do you have any sort of spiritual/religious beliefs, and why do you hold (or don't) those beliefs in the first place?
I am not religious or spiritual in any way that I would be able to easily define. I am very much drawn to Buddhist and some Hindu concepts, however I think that most religious traditions bury the kernels of wisdom in depths of dogmatism that drives adherents away from the truth. I also have some of my own symbols that borrow from a range of schools of thought, and I am driven to look for symbols in everyday life, movies, books, etc. to help me live a better life (whether I follow through on them or not is a different matter).

4. Opinion on war and militaries? What is power to you?
War is an unfortunate and unavoidable aspect of being alive - humans fight for territory and resources just as other animals do (although we also fight for ideological reasons and our collective groups and identities are much larger than most species). I don't believe that war will ever be overcome.
Power is a multifarious concept. It exists in every relationship on different scales. It is fluid and can be based on very tangible objects (such as weapons) or intangible (such as ideas).

Interests
5. What have you had long conversations about? What are your interests? Why?
The longest discussions that I have ever had have tended to be about literature or movies and the ideas, philosophy, values, symbolism, etc. in them. My interests are varied. I tend to have a range of interests that I am obsessive about - photography, tropical meteorology, history, education - and I cycle through these, occasionally picking up a new one along the way for a time before dropping it.

6. Interested in health/medicine as a conversation topic? Are you focused on your body?
I tend not to talk a lot about health or medicine a real lot, however it is an area that I enjoy reading about, particularly mental health. I have a deep and varied knowledge about health and medicine, and I am able to diagnose the causes for a lot of illnesses/symptoms in myself and others. I have a lot of pain, which I think is largely tied to stress. I carry a lot of tension in my body and my muscles feel very tight a lot of the time. I am hyperaware of my body sensations at times.

7. What do you think of daily chores?
Daily? More like 'when I feel like it chores'. I wish that I was more focused on such things but I am not and I am learning to accept that.

8. Books or films you liked? Recently read/watched or otherwise.
Books
East of Eden, John Steinbeck
1984, George Orwell
Brave New World, Aldous Huxley
Unweaving the Rainbow, Richard Dawkins
Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger

Movies

American Beauty
The Matrix
Amelie
Dead Poets Society
Good Will Hunting
V for Vendetta

9. What has made you cry? What has made you smile? Why?
I don't cry easily, but things that bring tears to my eyes are generally not sad things but things like random acts of kindness, scenes of incredible beauty, or song lyrics that cut to the heart of what it means to be alive. I smile a lot. When I am happy, sad, nervous...it doesn't take much for me to smile.

10. Where do you feel: at one with the environment/a sense of belonging?
I feel most at one with the environment when I go walking early in the morning, before sunrise, and I have a whole beach to myself and I can explore with my camera and catch images of beauty that others might miss.

Evaluation & Behaviour
11. What have people seen as your weaknesses? What do you dislike about yourself?

My weaknesses are my inability to speak up for myself. I tend to go with the crowd, even if I disagree with what the crowd wants, because I place the majority ahead of myself. I sometimes wish that I was able to stand up for myself more.

12. What have people seen as your strengths? What do you like about yourself?
I have been told that I have a calming influence on others, and that I am good at diffusing tension between people when there is conflict. I've also been complimented a lot on my writing, particularly the ability to capture the spirit of a moment and inspire others. I like to inspire other people. I am also very proud of my aesthetic sense and how this translates into my photography and paintings.

13. In what areas of your life would you like help?
I need help to process emotions and work them out, otherwise they tend to build up inside until I am forced to reckon with them. I would also like help to be more assertive and to insist on being given time to do things for myself to recharge my batteries.

14. Ever feel stuck in a rut? If yes, describe the causes and your reaction to it.
Yes. I was in a relationship for about 8 years, and I wasn't in love any more but I struggled to end the relationship because I didn't want to upset my partner or her family and our friends. I struggled on, developed a drinking habit, and eventually cut and run when it all got too much.

People & Interactions
15. What qualities do you most like and dislike in other people? What types do you get along with?
I like people who share my sarcastic, off the wall sense of humour, who also treat others with respect. I dislike people who are loud and aggressive, or who are stereotypically 'alpha' males. The people who I get along best with tend to be INFP, ENFP, INFJ, INTP, ENFJ.

16. How do you feel about romance/sex? What qualities do you want in a partner?
I am shy about romance and sex. I have a lot of desire but I am slow to express my desires for fear of being rejected. I tend to hold back and wait for my partner to move first, so a partner who is clear about what they want brings me out of my shell. I like to have an emotional connection with my partner, however this is not essential.

17. If you were to raise a child, what would be your main concerns, what measures would you take, and why?
I am raising a child and I am fairly easy-going. I am keen to ensure that my son is respectful and follows ideals of politeness, but I also hope that he retains his creativity and sense of fun. I do not try to impress my own values on him other than treating people with respect. I will not try to force him to be anyone or into a particular field when he is older. I want him to be himself.

18. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward and outward reaction?
Inwardly, I probably shudder, but outwardly I say nothing. I might nod or smile to indicate that I am listening, and perhaps even say something that indicates that I am not wholly supportive of their ideas/beliefs, but I generally wouldn't argue with them and I would try to change the topic so that I wasn't forced to argue.

19. Describe your relationship to society. How do you see people as a whole? What do you consider a prevalent social problem? Name one.
Society and I have a love/hate relationship, I guess. I do my best to fit in - I don't particularly want to stand out - I just do my thing and try to blend. People as a whole are fine. I don't generally go out of my way to spend a lot of time around them though. A prevalent social problem that I am concerned about is equality and equity - racial, gender, sexuality, etc.

20. How do you choose your friends and how do you behave around them?
I don't really choose my friends as such. I tend to be involved in something with other people and we just sort of 'click' and we become friends. I am generally fairly odd and outspoken around my friends. I have a weird sense of humour that really only comes out when I am with my closest friends. I tend to be very talkative and laugh a lot and come up with oddball theories around them. I sing a lot and speak in accents. But then I can also quickly retreat to my more solitary, introspective self and feel comfortable doing so with them around.

21. How do you behave around strangers?
Around strangers, I am generally quiet and agreeable. I tend not to rock the boat or show my weird sense of humour. I don't talk a lot. I try to work them out before I know if it is 'safe' to let those parts of me show.

Other potentially relevant details:
Male.
35 years old.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think INFP is accurate.

Reactions: thompidoo

·
Registered
228 Posts
Interestingly, typing out my responses made me think INFP was probably accurate but I thought that I'd see what others thought anyway. Thank you. Was there anything in particular that made you think INFP?
I thought about INFP because INFPs are typically searching for identity. But it's the general view on this type, so I may make a mistake. I'm not that experimented at typing so I still have a lot to learn. But in all, I still think it's an accurate result.

Reactions: thompidoo

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would guess IN-P.
Thank you. I have pondered the possibility of INTP, since I actually think that I use Fe quite heavily, but not as well as I imagine an INFJ would do. My Fe is kind of like, 'if I do things to help others and make them happy, they will leave me alone and I won't have to deal with the emotional fallout of upsetting people if I act purely on instinct'.

I don't match the stereotypical soft and fuzzy INFP portrait, which I find tends to make me really uncomfortable, but I also don't fit the stereotypical portrait of the 'don't give a shit about feelings INTP', which seems cold, detached, and also makes me feel somewhat uncomfortable. I know that these are stereotypes - extremes I guess - but I guess I kind of identify with something in between these extremes. I love feeling intense emotions and I seek out experiences to promote them (without them I feel devoid of emotion), but I think that using one's own feelings as a basis for making important decisions is bound to end in disaster.

·
Registered
442 Posts
@thompidoo

Seem like an infp to me. When I was trying to figure out my personality type for real, and I was set on actually finding it, the things that helped the best were making type me videos and doing a Skype call with someone and seeing what I seemed like based on actual conversation. Made a great friend that way too. xD

I see a lot of Fi. Ne, Si, Te sounds about right. Your five can make you look more like a thinker or an INFJ. At least in my experience. I recommend meeting someone of your same enneagram type who is an INFP, and maybe also the other types you're considering.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I certainly do relate to Drenth's discussion about INFP and INTP males particularly the following:

INTP vs. INFP Males: Similarities & Differences

"INTPs also seem more heavily reliant on other people, even if merely for background noise, because of their inferior Fe. In this sense, INFP males actually seem more independent and self-sufficient than INTPs. Whether they are willing to admit it or not, INTPs are far more afraid of being isolated and cut-off from people"
I do hate to admit it, but as much as I fantasize about cutting loose and making it on my own, I am prone to seeking out human contact when I spend too long alone, mainly as a bit of background noise and someone to bounce around ideas with. I don't particularly want to talk with people but I like knowing that there are others around. My thoughts also seem to go to darker places when I am alone. I think better when I have others around but I am still free to pursue my own thoughts without interruption.

"INFPs’ Fi-Te combo also disposes them to take interest in fiction and science fiction, whereas INTPs are more inclined toward non-fiction"
I have tried to read science fiction but I never really got into it - generally I prefer realistic fiction, particularly that based around different philosophical systems, societies and government. As a kid and most of my teenage years I only ever read non-fiction. I think that I was about 20 or 21 before I started reading novels and really got into them. Now when I read novels I tend towards realistic fiction with some sort of message that can be taken from it, or lots of symbolism to analyse.

"As F dominants, INFPs are more authentically inclined toward the arts, culture, and music than INTPs. INFPs also display more F tendencies with respect to caring for animals, plants, the needy, etc. INTPs, by contrast, are most engaged when informally researching, philosophizing, discussing ideas with others, or working on their personal projects. They love wrestling with ideas related to philosophy, theology, psychology, metaphysics, and epistemology"
I am interested in the arts and culture, but more realistic, less avant-garde forms than INFPs often seem to like. I am someone who doesn't really care for animals...I like them just fine, but I am not at all interested in caring for them one on one. I am definitely more an ideas person.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts