Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out my myer-Briggs personality type, but to no avail. I've gotten INTJ, INFJ, INTP, and ISTJ. It's driving me mad trying to figure it out, because i understand as a classification it can't describe me entirely, but I believe knowing my definite personality type would work wonders in making my life a little easier. I'll start off with my childhood. As a child I was super sensitive, crying at the drop of a hat. Though, i was definately an internal feeler, because these sudden emotional upheavels would come out of nowhere at times. I did not make friends easily, although the friendships I did make were solid, through and through. I loved video games and gravitated towards forms of surrealism. My favorite movies were alice in wonderland and nemo in slumberland, both involving dreamscapes. To this day I'm fascinated with dreams and the mystical side of life. In school I really enjoyed English, history while abhorring science and math. Unfortuantely, I did not get along well with teachers and was thought of as a disruption in class. As I grew older, I have grown to be less empathetic with people and seem to distance myself a great deal around people. I tend to make friends easily, but after a while I drop them and move onto new people. I like to make playlists of music and I've been told I'm very persuasive by my friends and countless others. Overall, I feel like I am an enigma when it comes from the T/F side of things. Same as with J/P. If you guys could help me figure out what type I am it would be greatly appreciated. If you need more details, I'd be glad to divulge more.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Just from the little that's in your OP, you sound like an INF to me.

I'd be curious to see your results on the official "Step I" MBTI, which you can take here.

There's a well-established fifth temperament dimension that isn't included in the Myers-Briggs typology and is often referred to as "neuroticism" (although it isn't a psychological disorder). The Big Five/SLOAN typology labels it Emotional Stability and refers to the two poles as Calm and Limbic. Being Limbic on that dimension tends to be associated with, among other things, anxiety/worry-proneness; emotional sensitivity/volatility; proneness to annoyance/irritation; self-consciousness; and (sometimes) depression. I'm Limbic, and it makes me less of a cucumber than some of my fellow INTJs. Your OP makes it sound like you may well be Limbic, and being Limbic can sometimes muddy the water for somebody trying to figure out their T/F preference.

In case you're interested, I'd also be curious to see your results — including the percentage scores — on the similarminds Big Five/SLOAN test I link to in this post, which will (purport to) type you on the Emotional Stability dimension (in addition to the four Big Five dimensions with substantial MBTI correlations). As noted in that linked post, one reason I kind of like that test is that it lets you pick in-the-middle, mildly or strongly for each item, so its results are theoretically a somewhat better indicator of how strong your preference might be on each dimension than the percentage results of a "forced choice" test. As also noted in the linked post, though, I recommend ignoring the personality descriptions at the similarminds site and just using the test for its Calm/Limbic result (and as a "second opinion" on your MBTI preferences).

In case they're of any use to you, I've put roundups of online profiles of the four IN types in the spoiler.

If your test results seem to narrow you down to two likeliest possibilities (which often happens), a possible way to give prospective type-me contributors more information to go on is to read through some profiles of those two types and post about anything in them that provokes a notably strong "that's me" or "that's not me" reaction — but, if you're going to take those linked tests and post your results, you may want to do that first and wait to get some more feedback on those (and your OP) before you start diving into the profiles.

In particular, I think it's not uncommon for INFs to test as INTs, at least partly because many of the F choices on typical MBTI tests (including the official test) are choices that are more likely to appeal to SFs and EFs than INFs — and I think that's more true of INFJs than INFPs. In any case, it's certainly been my experience that it's considerably more common for an INFJ to mistype as INTJ (and later conclude they're really INFJ) than vice versa. I think that, in some ways, it's fair to say that INFJs are both the "least F" of the F's and the "least NF" of the NFs.

INFJ Profiles
MBTI Manual (2nd Ed.)
MBTI Manual (3rd Ed.)
Keirsey (Please Understand Me)
Kroeger & Thuesen (Type Talk)
Hirsh & Kummerow (Lifetypes [abridged])
Berens & Nardi
personalitypage: Portrait
personalitypage: Personal Growth
personalitypage: Relationships
personalitypage: Careers

INFP Profiles