Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. First of all please forgive my bad english, it's not my mother tongue.
So I wonder what my type is. I have an idea about that, but I will keep it for myself for now because I don't want you to be influenced in any way and I'm not sure about who I am. So I answered the "What's my type Questionnaire".
Here we go.

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

No particular information. I may not understand everything because of my mother tongue being french, not english. I'm a 31 yo male, in a peacuful state of mind.

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

can't post link (post count too low) but flickr dot com /photos/christophebrutel/17906007286/in/explore-2015-05-21

It's a guy fishing. It's gonna be late, night is coming and he has no light apparently. He should better go back home, have a beer and watch a football game.
Also, it gives me the thought that fishing is a quite depressing activity. There's nothing to do but waiting, you cant even listen to music in order not to scary the fishes and if you ever have enough luck to catch something, the result is that you just killed an innocent fish.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

Crap. I have no idea what to do. I wish one of the people I am with has an idea. There's no way I could fix an engine. I do know some basic stuff about cars, but I definitely couldn't fix anything. The best I've ever done was to change a light. Maybe I would advice to call the insurance and/or call a professionnal, then find a way to reach the town we were heading to, if we aren't out of time. Maybe take a bus or a cab, or rent a car.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

Ok, let's have fun. We definitely deserve it.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

Depends on the cleverness of his statement.
If it's stupid, I would think that he's a stupid person. If he's a close friend of mine (most likely that he's not, cause my friends are all clever) or if it is really shockingly stupid, I would tell him my point - if he's not a close friend, I wouldn't say anything but he would definitely be defined as someone I don't want to hang out with.
If it's a clever claim, then that's a good occasion to debate, I think. Maybe he could change my beliefs, if there's a strong background behind this claim.
If I'm drunk, there's a strong chance that however clever is the claim or close is the friend, I would debate with arguments full of nonsense, just to have fun.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

I would question my previous beliefs, experiences and habits and go deeper into the topic. I would look for more information in order to understand and find the truth.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

As a principle I mostly value freedom (starting with my own). As a behaviour as mostly value... let's say smartness, even if I couldn't really define it.
It would definitely be too long to explain how I came to the first one. For the other one, it's way too hard for me to explain my point in english. But let's say at least that it's not being good at maths that I value, it's being kind to others when necessary, being able to do his best to understand and fix basic issues, being clever enough to raise a child properly... well, hard to explain in a foreign language.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?

I'm objectively smarter than a lot of people. I understand things very, very quickly and have the best solution to issues as long as we're dealing with my competence field.
I may sometimes lack humility but there's also a lot of things at suck at, and have no problem admitting it. I'm in fact pretty harsh with myself but when I'm good at something, I want people to know.
Also, I think that I'm quite a funny guy. My jokes are usually nonsensical and make people laugh, when they're not offensed.
If I could change anything, it would be to be less... let's say introspective. I always think at what I see or what I live in the moment. I can't appreciate a sun rising for exemple. Even when socializing, I have to think at the best joke or at the best way to react. I would also like to be more decisive. For example I wish I run my own company. I've been thinking a lot about it, I have never started anything.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?

It really depresses me. I usually think again and again about what has bothered me. I usually deeply hate the entire people involved in it and may rehash for years.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

Activities that energize me are playing video games while drinking beer, learning useless things on the internet and skyping my closest friends.
Activities that drain me are definitely all related to work.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

I force myself to turn off my natural shyness and not to think to what I say. I do that because it makes things way easier and way funnier.

Again, sorry for my bad english. Half of what I wrote must be nonsense.
And thank you by advance for the answers.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
1. Uhm, I think Fe. "That guy should go home, it's late". Also, perhaps S preference because of the details but unsure.
2. I think Si. That's lower Ne- "Shit, idk what to do- I wish someone has an idea! I don't, I mean I know a little from what I've learned in my past but no"- I might be totally wrong but that's the vibe I get. So you might be an SJ.
3. Saying "We" yep, that's Fe right there. Group oriented. "Let's have fun, let's go out" is more extrovert. ESFJ?
4. Eh, I didn't quite catch anything from this question. Only that you have clever friends xD
5. More information- Si, to realize the truth- Ti. Or Ni. I don't know. Could you be ESTP? I have to say you got me baffled.
6. I get a lot of Ti from that answer. Cleverness, fixing problems. S preference maybe, you seem more practical- heck with math, raise a kid properly.
7. Quick wit and sharpness is associated with Ti but frankly it can be Te as well. Funny guy- also Ti, most of the time. You want people to know you're good- Fe. I'm pretty sure you use Ti/Fe in some kind of order. I'm wondering if that kind of introspection is Se/Ni or Si/Ne: could be Se/Ni for taking the stuff in the moment and thinking about their meaning (Se analyzed by Ni) or Si/Ne ("What this sunrise means to me?"). I think the former is closer to reality. Indecisiveness is associated with Ne but I don't think you use Ne, at least not to a high degree. You may be introvert after all- perhaps you wanting to have fun at the party was Se. I can't see ESTP not taking action xD
8. Thinking again and again- Ti. Haring everyone involved- lower Fe.
9. lol that sounds like IxTP.
10. Ergh, probably introvert and a thinker.

Okay, so I think ISTP but I can't say I'm 100% sure. The fact that you're older means you already developed your functions so you're a pretty well rounded, healthy example of whatever type you are- which might be why I got so confused haha. So my vote is for ISTP, but I'm gonna wait and see what others have written!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Gray and thanks for you answer.
That was interesting to read and I think you're right on some points.
There's no way I'm a SJ. I used to live in a total mess before MBTI made me understand that this could be a weakness related to my type, and that there were processes I could set up to fix that.
About the #1 I'm not a Se at all. I really don't care about details at all and am absolutely unable to enjoy the simple beauty of things. A magnificient sunrise ? I really don't care. Not interested at all.
#3 : I definitely have Fe in my 4 functions. But it's definitely a weakness as my Fe is not developed enough. -even if I work on that.
#4 Nevermind ;p
#5 : No practical at all ! Last time I tried to wash the floor, it turned into a swimming pool. I break everything I touch.
#6 : Raising a kid involves practice of course but the point is more in the willingness. I want people to be responsible. I could forgive someone who doesn't raise his child properly but who tries to. I can't stand people who give up, stating that they don't have the strength or the knowledge to succeed in raising a child properly. I mean - shouting at a child because you think it's a good way to make him understand things, ok. But shouting at a child because you're tired or you don't care, hell no. Not sure if it makes things clearer.

8,9 & 10 were pretty relevant, I think. I'm not sure they're true, but they may be.
In fact, I'm 99% sure of my 2 main functions. But I wonder what are the first and the second one.

·
Registered
INFJ less than 1%
7,202 Posts
What do you think your two functions are?

What do you think of these short descriptions of the inferior functions?
I know these are not ideal, they don't have a lot of depth to them. It is just to give you a general idea of the inferior functions (the 4th function) and there are examples too, but they are a little oversimplified. I am not certain about any type, but the inferior functions that I chosen below does indicate what types I think, maybe could a possibility. It's okay to say neither, I can give a link for entire article.
;

IxTP - example of inferior Fe

Fe: I’d like to be able to comfort people, but I’m terrible at it. I wish I didn’t feel so responsible for other people’s feelings and needs. I long for others’ approval and to be accepted, but I can’t quite manage the social niceties, so often I just shut it off and can be insensitive. I get annoyed if people hit me with their feelings or act irrationally, and sometimes I get angry at them for it. I usually try to blend in socially, but I soon tire of it. I don’t always know how to talk about my feelings and am uncomfortable offering too much praise to others.

IxFP

Te: I want to be organized and efficient, but I’m totally disorganized. I hate schedules and trying to keep to them wears me out. I know that things are not working in my life, but I don’t know how to fix it and am angry at myself for being so disorganized. I’m learning to be more time-efficient, though, and I do like it when my DVD collection is alphabetical. I used to think less about the realistic consequences of my actions than I do now. I like to stick to the facts and can prove most of my arguments with evidence, but when others challenge my position I become defensive and irritated. Sometimes, I become abrasive and insensitive toward others in pushing my agenda.

INxJ;

Se: I want to anchor my ideas in reality but reality is overwhelming. I get sensory overload. Life is too loud, bright, and moves too fast. It feels like I am either totally detached from them or over-indulging in them. I really want to see my visions become real, but I’m not sure how to make that happen. I want to look my best. Exercising is a nice way to get rid of my stress, but sometimes I feel like I place too much emphasis on my appearance. I wish I wasn’t so impulsive.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fe : I really don't care at all if people think I'm sympathetic or not. I really don't care at being approved by anyone else as long as I'm pretty sure that the result of my thoughts is the truth - except if the person has a different point of view than mine that results from a efficient and convincing logical process. I'm pretty sure I have a weak Fe. I've always been shy and way too polite when not comfortable with the people I am with or when I know that there are social conventions I have to deal with. My family in law, for example - I've never been able to use the "tu" (a regular "you" in french) instead of the "vous" (very respectful version of "you") even if they want me to use the "tu". Now that I'm older, I let it go way more easily but I have to use my "Ne". I think something like "f*ck my Ti and don't think about what could the thoughts of others be" and just let the speaking go, even if it may often be nonsense (especially if there are small talks involved which I really can't stand without switching my Ti off). It's true that I get annoyed if people act irrationally, and I can quite often get angry at them then. It's less true now that socializing exhaust me because I decided (and it worked !) to look for my own fun in "testing" people reactions to eventually shocking or nonsense talks.

Te : I really, really don't care in being organized or not. I've been living in a total mess for like 30 years, and it really didn't bother me at all. Now that I live with someone and realize that lacking of organization might be a weakness in both my professionnal and personnal life (thanks to MBTI), I decided to create agendas and adopt some efficient basic cleaning routine. It's quite efficient and doesn't bother me at all as long as I do stuff that please me in the same time, like listening to music and dancing.

Se : Nah. I can deal with reality.

I'm pretty sure my two strong functions are Ne and Ti, but I don't know in what order I should put them. I thought I was INTP because of shyness and not wanting to meet people in the first place. But I really appreciate (need ?) socializing when it is with people I'm close to, interested in or don't care of, once the socializing phase has begun. For example, I've been to a pub alone a few weeks ago and have been talked to by a bunch of drunk and quite funny people. I had a really good time.
So, ENTP or INTP ? That's the question.
Plus, I really don't feel like an INTP at work. In the research department, there are some INTPs : really, really unable to socialize, really always in their head. It's not me at work : I speak quite often with people, give advices (that's part of my job), I can even shout at people (part of my job too and I deal way more easily with that than the INTPs I know).
Plus, I really want to have higher responsibilities, I want to manage and to be a more important part of the strategy of my company. Not an INTP thing IMO.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I deal pretty easily with concepts (always have been the best in maths when I was a child) and if I don't restrain myself, I say 100% of bullshit / nonsense things. Typically Ne, in my mind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts