Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about this, because I have a couple friends born in 1989 who love Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber and Carly Rae Jepsen and I've known people even older than that who are Twilight fans, are obsessed with texting, etc.

Obviously these are just stereotypes and I know it's just as common for Gen Zers to be metal fans or not to really care about new technology at all. In fact I'd argue there's a bit of a "Luddite" faction within the current under-18 crowd that eschews modern corporate and technological hegemony that doesn't exist on the same level among Millennials.

In general, I'd say even though I'd define Gen Z as running from about 1997-98 up to maybe the beginning of the 2010s in terms of birth years, the Millennials born from say 1987 or 1988 onward could relate to the younger part of Gen Z on some level, such as remembering the pop culture of the Bush 43 era and early Obama era.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Depends... Does anyone actually know what is the deffinition of "Generation Z" ?
Cause its just people who like Justin Bieber or Miley Cyrus only people from the Anglosphere where he is popular would be part of Generation Z . Half of the world doesn't even know them :rolleyes: .

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,504 Posts
The younger part of Gen Z is two to five years old...

In general, I'd say even though I'd define Gen Z as running from about 1997-98 up to maybe the beginning of the 2010s in terms of birth years, the Millennials born from say 1987 or 1988 onward could relate to the younger part of Gen Z on some level, such as remembering the pop culture of the Bush 43 era and early Obama era.

Reactions: Helios

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends... Does anyone actually know what is the deffinition of "Generation Z" ?
Cause its just people who like Justin Bieber or Miley Cyrus only people from the Anglosphere where he is popular would be part of Generation Z . Half of the world doesn't even know them :rolleyes: .
That's actually not true. My friend has been to Taiwan and Sri Lanka recently and even in rural areas there you see kids with JB shirts! :shocked:

·
Registered
607 Posts
That's actually not true. My friend has been to Taiwan and Sri Lanka recently and even in rural areas there you see kids with JB shirts! :shocked:
Ok my mistake, the Anglosphere + Taiwan and Sri Lanka :laughing:
My point was that its silly that the requirements to be in a generation is weather you like JB or not.
There should be a clear deffinition on what is Generation Z.

·
Faceless
7,169 Posts
Ok my mistake, the Anglosphere + Taiwan and Sri Lanka :laughing:
My point was that its silly that the requirements to be in a generation is weather you like JB or not.
There should be a clear deffinition on what is Generation Z.
They key point of belonging to any generation is being aware of the world outside of your immediate existence and local sphere. Supposedly this shapes your outlook on life or something. Being a part of Gen Z could be awareness of pop cultural phenomena such as Justin Bieber or the Twilight saga, but it doesn't mean you necessarily have to like them.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
I don't even think we can relate within our own generation,
We're still so culturally,
Religiously and linguistically different.

I'd like to see the generation after us and how THEY share similar links,
Given the continuous march of globalization!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts