Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Nothing but failures...

Edit: We (INTPs) are failures at life because we could change and improve the world in so many different levels, but we are just so lazy. We are failures because we find deepest philosophy easy and graspable, but we forget to do our homework or we just refuse because we are - so lazy.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Are you talking about INTPs or people in general or something else? Failures by what standards and why?

·
Registered
791 Posts
In the end, we are something. It depends on what you make of your life :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Work hard for what you want, nothing comes easy.

Reactions: nothingnew

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We (INTPs) are failures at life because we could change and improve the world in so many different levels, but we are just so lazy. We are failures because we find deepest philosophy easy and graspable, but we forget to do our homework or we just refuse because we are - so lazy... I could go on and on, for hours...

This probably isn't true, after all I think I'm actually having an emotional burst-out after a loooooooooong time of being a robot...

·
Registered
15 Posts
We (INTPs) are failures at life because we could change and improve the world in so many different levels, but we are just so lazy. We are failures because we find deepest philosophy easy and graspable, but we forget to do our homework or we just refuse because we are - so lazy... I could go on and on, for hours...

This probably isn't true, after all I think I'm actually having an emotional burst-out after a loooooooooong time of being a robot...
I know what you mean brother. I spend fair time reading the phil/psych stuff for a past time and put off my homework to engage in a different mode of thought, but have grown lazy too. Maybe our head gets scattered attempting to draw connections for an ideal situation that never materializes(probably a feeling function here). We probably just need to ease up on the philosophic tones and just take progressive action instead of being passive, something I was much better at in the past when I didn't care. Wouldn't say we are failures, but we are useless when in a rut, and there are lucky people out there.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Seems like you're just trying to find someone to agree with you so that you can blame your failures on something you're not in control of. :bored:

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seems like you're just trying to find someone to agree with you so that you can blame your failures on something you're not in control of. :bored:
Well, actually no... I wanted to know how many of you guys feel the way I feel, and that is the feeling of living under your potential.

I know that we INTPs almost never, if ever talk about how we 'feel'. But this feeling I have I think could be pretty common to INTPs, more so then other personalities exept probably INFP.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yup. I dig it. in the context you propose, that is. I consider life to be impossible to fail at objectively, since life is inherently meaningless. But that might just prove your point. I don't really care about the world, I have no reason to. I care about personal growth and self-actualization. That being said, my laziness inspires me to suck. I don;t do homework, have always gotten mediocre grades for my ability, don;t really care about homework. Actually, this laziness spills over into intellect too. We could learn a lot more than we know, but we often go "meh, don;t need to know that."

I'm so lazy I don;t even have that grammar nazi thing going on. I figure you folks can figure it out with a couple semicolons in place of apostrophes

Reactions: Angel1412kaitou

·
Registered
743 Posts
I consider life to be impossible to fail at objectively, since life is inherently meaningless.
Life isn't meaningless. The meaning of life is to enjoy it; to make good use of your time doing whatever you feel is worthwhile. The fact that you only have one and for such a short duration only adds to the meaningful nature of life. Life is everything.

A failure at life is not someone who dies poor and materially unsuccessful in the eyes of others, but someone who dies sad, alone, and unfulfilled inside. But none of us are dead yet, ergo none of us can be failures at life.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You're only making a generalization, but this is a good example of people trying too hard to fit into their type. I notice that it almost seems like some INTP's feel obliged to be one through-and-through. I think since this type is so "rare" some people want to make sure their uniqueness is seen.

I'm making a generalization myself, though. : |

I think our creativity ultimately makes up in the end, I've been lazy in the past, hell yes, but I've found ways around this. Be it by snagging myself a bitch or simply doing the work to a standard ability, it might infuriate me that I'm not doing something to the ability I know I can, but I'm not going to rot in failure. I'm pretty sure a lot of us feel this way and have at least made an effort to find alternatives of straying away from failure.

I mean, don't let a typing write out your whole life and your whole person. Fuck the dumbshit, I'd hop on the J-express in a heartbeat if it meant I could chill out stress-free in the long run.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Life isn't meaningless. The meaning of life is to enjoy it
That's Your definition of meaning. But in no way should your opinion apply to the fabric of reality. You essentially just agreed with me, but missed on the philosophical point. Regardless. Yes, none of us are dead yet, yes that means we're not absolute failures. All very optimistic. But, in the sense that he is proposing, which is that if you are not wholly productive, then you have failed at life, then many of us probably are. In his opinion.

Reactions: Angel1412kaitou

·
Registered
279 Posts
Nothing but failures...

Edit: We (INTPs) are failures at life because we could change and improve the world in so many different levels, but we are just so lazy. We are failures because we find deepest philosophy easy and graspable, but we forget to do our homework or we just refuse because we are - so lazy.
Maybe we're lazier because we tend to use a lot more energy (calories) thinking than other types? I don't know. The little I've read about brain energy consumption, it seems the brain uses up to 50% more energy when learning new things. What about when conceiving new ideas and trying to see things differently?

I think it would be interesting to see just how much energy the brain of an INTP uses during on of those episodes of brain storming (or hurricaning), which I think most INTPs experience? Something tells me our brain scans would be lit up like a christmas tree.

I know about failure. I've dropped out of high school... not once but three times. And this after having been told by teachers, during my entire pre-high-school years, that I have potential and yadda yadda, and my class mates expecting me to end up at NASA and other childish stuff like that. But I couldn't, I gradually started feeling like my mind was becoming trapped in a box. I was expected to take everything I was learning for granted (blame communist-era education - I was born in a country in the Eastern Block), and questions like "what if" and "why" were not permitted. Yet those questions lie at my core, they're in my nature, they're my very essence.

It's possible that I'm stuck in the mindset of a five-year old. :laughing:
And everyone tells me that I think way too much.

I was stuck thinking that I'm somehow defective. A failure.

Then, a few months ago, I realized that I can turn this "what if" towards myself. What if I'm not a failure? What if I can be something else? How do I go about finding out?
I enrolled in distance education, and in the quiet of my home, I managed to complete it in four months. My biggest issue was feeling like a moron for being 27, and stuck with basic, boring high school kids stuff. But I got over it, eventually.

So don't just believe that you're a failure, and don't believe that you are a complete success either. Simply try, even if your chances are .0001%. By not trying, the chances are 0. From a qualitative perspective, the difference between 0 and .0001 is infinite. And by never considering yourself to be the most you can be. that leaves room for constant self-improvement, which I think should be a life-long quest.

Anyway, I'm sorry if this sounds like one those dumb testimonials about "how quantum physics helped me discover happiness" and the likes. It just pains me to see so many INTPs hate what they are.

Without people who weren't content to just just take things as they are, and were compelled to ask stupid questions like 'what if" and "why", the earth would still be flat, at the center of the Universe.

I don't even know if it's an INTP thing, or something else. But I have admiration for people who do this, regardless of whether they ultimately achieve something of value or not. And I know my admiration means pretty much nothing in the great scheme of things, but I just felt like saying it.

Must be my F side.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You're only making a generalization, but this is a good example of people trying too hard to fit into their type. I notice that it almost seems like some INTP's feel obliged to be one through-and-through. I think since this type is so "rare" some people want to make sure their uniqueness is seen.
I know this was a BIG generalization. But i had a hunch a lot of us (especially INTPs from forums) could relate to what I was saying...

I dont feel obliged to be INTP through-and-through, I know I am, in my core, a real and a bit stereotypical INTP, but I also adore writing and poetry, which I asume would be more of an INFP trait.

Conclusion: 1) I definetly dont try too hard to fit into my type because I have no doubts about what type I am.
2) Because this type is so rare generalizations are more accurate, and my uniqueness is seen by everybody who knows me ( and I am just being myself... Not to mention most of them are seeing my uniqueness as a bad thing)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts