Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't know where to start this thread honestly, first considered the INTP-forum but not all INTPs play video games; then considered Generation Y forum but Gen Z and Xers also play video games; thought about the Trends forum but this topic isn't really about a trend per se... so I said screw it and went for the default, General Chat.

Now you can make as many kinds of distinguishable traits as you want, such as Male vs Female vs Boss/Monster or by genre or console generations. Just try to have some sort of coherence...

And you should/can tell us why the top 3 or more are your favorites just to give us a reason as to why these characters are so awesome.

Anyways I'll start with mine:

1.) Solid Snake (Metal Gear Solid Series)

Badass. No other more proper word to describe him. 180 I.Q., Spec Ops, and gets EVE what? I have played every Metal Gear that has been on PlayStation and his ranking never falls short for me. My favorite version of him would be in Snake Eater as Big Boss, in fact the entire game was awesome, with each main character being unique.

2.) Dante (Devil May Cry Series)

Badass, not as much as Snake, but pretty freaking close. He is half demon/half human and all the perks that come with both. His character is rebellious, slick and lively compared to Snake, plus he fights in a Gun/Sword Combo style that complete his badassery. I haven't actually played all the DMC games but his character just stands out, in my opinion, to be #2 on my list.

3.) Pikachu (Pokemon/Super Smash Bros.)

Besides the fact that he's iconic, he's my favorite character to use in Super Smash Bros. and reminds me of my favorite Pokemon version... Pokemon Yellow. That's about it really. I like Pikachu because he's pretty much just cause he's f*cking Pikachu. He's not the best electric pokemon in the series, but he's pretty decent in the NU tier.

4.) Cloud Strife (Final Fantasy VII)
5.) Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII)
6.) Thane Krios (Mass Effect 2)
7.) Commander Shepherd (Mass Effect Series)
8.) Kratos (God of War Series)
9.) Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad (Assassin's Creed)
10.) Albert Wesker (Resident Evil Series)

·
Registered
828 Posts
I like Sonic the Hedgehog and Knuckles the Echidna. I like sonic because of his care free attitude and his love of adventure. I like knuckles because I like his story of how he is a loner that is the last of his kind and has to protect the Master Emerald.

·
Registered
376 Posts
My favourite character would have to be Agent 47 of the Hitman series. What appeals mostly is that his emotions never interfere with his actions or train of thought. He moves quickly and efficiently through the crowd and he dresses himself with style and class.

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
Captain Price- Call of Duty Modern Warfare (2 and 3, I don't remember if he was in the first) He was an awesome guy, fiercely loyal to his friends and the causes he believed to be right.

Attila the Hun - Civilization 5. He pissed me off SO MUCH. It seemed like every other game I started, I started directly next to him and within a few turns he had an army big enough to wipe me off the planet, and he always took that chance. Why would I put him on my favorites list if he pissed me off? Because he was a total badass (at least early game) who I wish I could have been like lol.

Bebe Hart - The Sims 3. No idea why I like her so much, but ever since I first played the Sims 3 she's been my favorite character, maybe it's the fact that she seems so sweet when her parents are wild crazy people.

Franklin- Grand Theft Auto 5. My favorite of all 3 protagonists of GTA V, I like him because he doesn't start off insanely rich (like Michael) and he's not a psychopath who enjoys hurting people just for the sake of hurting people (like Trevor). He also has a kind of attitude I like, not sure how.

·
Banned
2,886 Posts
Jessie from FF VII

Really insecure about her work, but she's really competent and sweet in an awkward way. I think she has good intentions and actually wants to do a good job with intense interest in technical things (computers and "bombs and flashy things"). Plus, I thought she was a guy for a long time too. Without her, Avalanche would be a complete joke.

Tron Bonne from Mega Man Legends

Cute and really bossy. Always all about being efficient, but she has a crush on Mega Man...but she won't really acknowledge it too openly. Entertaining and intense character.

Jack Russell from Radiata Stories

Kind of a fool and not the smartest guy, but there's still something likable about him. He's competent, but I think he does need a team behind him. He seems like the everyday kind of guy with excitement of new experiences...he's kind of a really likable underdog who lives under the shadow of his father who was one of the greatest knights. He isn't really bitter about having to live under his father's shadow...he just goes for it with gusto with people who are kind of full of themselves and are overly formal compared to his approach. He fails sometimes along the way as well...including getting beaten by girl(Ridley, a major character in the game as well and potential love interest of him) early in the game, which he takes hard.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Zevran Arainai from Dragon Age: Origins- This character intrigues me with his Machiavellian attitude. He does not lack empathy, but openly admits to his own selfishness, unlike so many who would attempt to rationalize why they are more deserving than somebody else or why what they are doing is the absolute "right" thing.

Aria T'Loak from Mass Effect 2- I admire her dominant female persona and laissez-faire style of ruling. People respect her because they are wise enough not to cross her or bring chaos to into her arena. In her words, Omega has only one rule: "Don't fuck with Aria".

Nana from Luigi's Mansion- I always felt somewhat remorseful about capturing the ghost of Nana. She seemed so lonely and peaceful, and was not disturbed by my presence. I just wanted to sit in the room with her and listen to her tell stories as she knitted.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Haha possibly very unoriginal. I like the messed up, moral less and witty Trevor in GTA V. His storyline was pretty hillarious.
I'll never forget when he was telling Wade about the troll Michelle aka Michael DeSanta..... I died at that one. His exclamations when he crashes his car/someone crashes into his car are great too. "Turd!"

Michael's quotes when crashing his car are funny too. "I've seen some bad drivers, but YOU!? Whohoho!". I think he's my favorite video game character, followed closely by Duke Nukem and Trevor Phillips. They're all just really funny, in their own way.

·
Banned
2,886 Posts
Nana from Luigi's Mansion- I always felt somewhat remorseful about capturing the ghost of Nana. She seemed so lonely and peaceful, and was not disturbed by my presence. I just wanted to sit in the room with her and listen to her tell stories as she knitted.
It's cool that they included a ghost like this...I really like the game too...under-rated in my opinion...

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
Guybrush Threepwood (Monkey Island), for being extremely funny and incompetent yet always manages to succeed.

Mass Effect: Wrex, for being a badass, Garrus, for being a badass with a sniper, and Mordin, for being badass, super intelligent and has very loose morals.

Agent 47 is pretty badass too.

GLaDOS

Claptrap, for being Claptrap. Handsome Jack is also pretty interesting.

I'm probably forgetting tons of characters though.

·
Banned
2,205 Posts
Aria T'Loak from Mass Effect 2- I admire her dominant female persona and laissez-faire style of ruling. People respect her because they are wise enough not to cross her or bring chaos to into her arena. In her words, Omega has only one rule: "Don't fuck with Aria".
I suppose that makes sense, though to this day I can't see any reason why the plot should insist that she's any less a villain or badguy than any of the other two-bit thugs in the Mass Effect series. She's no less murderous or treacherous, she has no grand vision. She doesn't even bring peace or stability to the table. She just happens to not be overtly against us. (don't misunderstand, I'm not arguing with your choice of her as a favorite character, just making a comment)

Saren from Mass Effect - he's pretty believable and even understandable. He's a cynical man who believes there is no hope. The only salvation he see's is in submission. He's given up and become a pawn of the very evil he ultimately, wanted to defeat. He's tragic in a way... but still totally villainous. Cruel, perhaps even sadistic, and hateful. Saren is also kind of a rival; he was the best of the best and he set a very violent, ruthless standard. Can you live up to it, or will you try to subvert it?

Kane from Command & Conquer (namely the first game) - the hype for him is just done very well. His influence is seen and far reaching, while he himself is used pretty sparingly in the story. Even if you choose to fight for his faction you have to earn your way into his favor. We don't really learn much about him in the game except that he is intelligent and confident, and passionate about his vision for the future. What sells him as a character, as a villain, is the presentation. It's done very, very well. I find him very realistic in terms of his personality and philosophy... compared to other real-life cult leaders, warmongers, tyrants, and other madmen. It's entirely appropriate considering what he wants to achieve and what obstacles he needs to overcome.

Kain.jpg

·
Banned
95 Posts
I suppose that makes sense, though to this day I can't see any reason why the plot should insist that she's any less a villain or badguy than any of the other two-bit thugs in the Mass Effect series. She's no less murderous or treacherous, she has no grand vision. She doesn't even bring peace or stability to the table. She just happens to not be overtly against us. (don't misunderstand, I'm not arguing with your choice of her as a favorite character, just making a comment)
I'm not concerned about whether she is classified as a villain or not. I'm drawn to her attitude either way. For some reason, I tend to prefer self-serving characters who know how to manipulate the situation in their favor, yet who still show traces of humanity. I tried to hint at that in my reasoning for liking her, but now that I read over what I said, I guess it could have been interpreted differently. I never meant to imply that she was a noble and just woman of the people, and if that were the case, I would probably find her less interesting. My point was that she does not come across as an idealistic control freak as much as she seems interested in power for her own survival.

·
Banned
2,205 Posts
I never meant to imply that she was a noble and just woman of the people,
Oh... well I didn't mean to imply that you did, actually. Just seeing someone praise her in any way I automatically recall other people who just seem to adore her unspecified reasons. Namely that I think the game is written in such a way to kind of try and make you like her. Like, Shepard can't really ever take a hostile stance toward her (not in ME2 anyway), and so since your choices are restricted she's kind of set-up to be your superior. Then you have characters similar to her, like TIM, or Vido, or any of the other merc leaders but they are portrayed as (ultimately) bad people that we're supposed to dislike. I just never saw what made Aria different from Nassana Dantius, say. Granted her more ruthless side is conveyed chiefly in the novels, not the games.

Really my comment wasn't even directed at you but I probably should have worded it better. I like characters even when I don't necessarily agree with them or think they are "good". I like characters that work well. That have an effect on you. Though certainly characters I can empathize with, sympathize with, tend to stick in my mind the longest.

I understand your reasons quite well enough. If anything though, I feel like Mass Effect kind of wastes Aria. ME2 especially does nothing with her. She's introduced to you in such a way that you're like "oh yeah, she's gonna be important in the story" Then... she isn't. Even ME3 only gets around to really using her in a DLC. Just not sure why they did that. I digress, I could and have gone on for hours about things wrong with Mass Effect and how it could be better.

I sense that last line kind of compares her to the Illusive Man. He was at one time one of my favorite characters and remains a memorable one, but the problem with him was Bioware introduced and billed him as one thing, but then consistently portrayed him as something else. Just felt inept to me.

I think one of Mass Effect's best and underrated characters was Donnel Udina. Mainly in the first game. He's the perfect jerk who you want to see get his comeuppance in the end, but in that game at least he doesn't go overboard and become an actual villain. I was disappointed with what they did with him in ME3.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Oh... well I didn't mean to imply that you did, actually. Just seeing someone praise her in any way I automatically recall other people who just seem to adore her unspecified reasons. Namely that I think the game is written in such a way to kind of try and make you like her. Like, Shepard can't really ever take a hostile stance toward her (not in ME2 anyway), and so since your choices are restricted she's kind of set-up to be your superior. Then you have characters similar to her, like TIM, or Vido, or any of the other merc leaders but they are portrayed as (ultimately) bad people that we're supposed to dislike. I just never saw what made Aria different from Nassana Dantius, say. Granted her more ruthless side is conveyed chiefly in the novels, not the games.

Really my comment wasn't even directed at you but I probably should have worded it better. I like characters even when I don't necessarily agree with them or think they are "good". I like characters that work well. That have an effect on you. Though certainly characters I can empathize with, sympathize with, tend to stick in my mind the longest.
Well, I was quoted, and you seemed to be indirectly challenging my particular choice, so forgive me for thinking you were. What makes them different in my opinion is their presence and relatability with certain aspects of our idealized selves. Nassana's demeanor (at least in the game, never read the novels) was more understated and focused--less dramatic than Aria's, so I was not impressed by her as much. Aria had more of this easygoing confidence and expressive quality to her, yet she still had the vibe of a 'boss woman'. I wouldn't care if she was Mass Effect's Wicked Witch of the West. Also, I've only played ME2. TIM reminded me of an old politician. I did care for his character more than most of the people on my ship, but he was not humorous or indulgent, just isolated and constantly conniving. Aria struck me more as an individualistic, pleasure-seeking hostess, although the two's core motivations may have been similar. I enjoyed the game for what it is, so I'll let you be the constructive critic. I appreciate your input, though. It did make me further question my subjective impressions of these characters.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
- Darth Revan (KOTOR)
- Mithos Yggdrasil (Tales of Symphonia)
- Mitsuhide Akechi (Samurai Warriors)
- Magoichi Saika (Samurai Warriors)
- Cid Highwind (Final Fantasy 7)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts