Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow INFJs, I'm sure you have all read stories about fictional characters who you admire, love and respect. So share with us:

-Who are your favourite fictional characters?

-Why are they your favourite?

P.S: Try to limit it to top 10. :crazy:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As long as we're on superheroes, my favorite was always Rogue (from the comics not the movie). I always identified with her struggle, her desire to simply be able to touch another human being without fear of destroying that person. She lived within herself, much as extremely introverted types do, never quite being able to participate. She had an abiding sadness and a vulnerability (though she was mostly impervious to physical harm) that she covered up with a glib, tough facade. She was also torn by her love for her mother (a villain) and former villainous teammates, and her new family, the X-men. She had to overcome the X-men's (especially Wolverine) mistrust of her, as well as her own guilt at having permanently absorbed Ms. Marvel's personality. Yet, she was also strong, both physically (due to Ms. Marvel's absorbed powers) and mentally.
Yeap, I totally know what you are talking about since I've read the X-Men growing up and I'm a pretty huge Marvel buff. But I prefer Cyclops; well at least the latest version where he takes the weight of the world on his shoulders and does all that is necessary to ensure that mutantkind survives...even killing enemies before they have a chance to strike. I always found it fascinating having to make tough decisions when you have such a heavy responsibility.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Batman
Because he's a normal man who still managed to help the others without super-powers and his mysterious mind (I liked a lot some episodes in which he had to deal with his own fears) makes him vulnerable, in spite for his tough guy appearance.

Colossus from X-Men
My nickname, of course.

Wolverine
Mostly the same as for Batman, except he actually had some powers so this made him a little less 'appealing' than Batman.

Sailor Moon
I liked her style a lot but I would say the hairstyle and bright colors makes her one of my childhood favorites although now I like her more because of the memories she brings to me.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Batman
Because he's a normal man who still managed to help the others without super-powers and his mysterious mind (I liked a lot some episodes in which he had to deal with his own fears) makes him vulnerable, in spite for his tough guy appearance.

Colossus from X-Men
My nickname, of course.

Wolverine
Mostly the same as for Batman, except he actually had some powers.

Sailor Moon
I liked her style a lot but I would say the hairstyle and bright colors makes her one of my childhood favorites although now I like her more because of the memories she brings to me.
Why Colossus? And what kind of memories do Sailor Moon bring to you?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Why Colossus? And what kind of memories do Sailor Moon bring to you?
Colossus because he looks like a tough guy but, although heroic at times, he tends to be quite childish. He doesn't seem to have any actual friends, although he never rejected anyone from his life. I like his image throughout as a quiet, shy character, honest and innocent. He's also from East Europe! (russian)
PS: He seems very INFJ to me.

Sailor Moon was the childhood series I actually enjoyed. DragonBall Z was far too violent and stupid for me. I remember that I always wanted to make my hair look like hers, I liked a lot the symbol of moon she was using and won my first prize when I answered correctly an answer about her in a coloring book. The colors also almost got me obsessed through the whole episodes (I like bright colors in high contrasts, and when I was a child I was even fascinated with it).

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'm familiar with Colossus but always found him too gentle for my liking. I still like his power, but always found that his gentleness withheld much of his potential. Still I did like the fact that he paints during his free time to relax. Russians are always fascinating characters for me in the Marvel Universe. But I prefer the Winter Guard to Colossus. I think Ursa Major is pretty cool. Colossus is too westernized for my liking.

I have not watched Sailor Moon so I have no comments. :tongue:

·
Registered
737 Posts
Captain Benjamin Sisko: "Throughout the series I came to identify with his characteristics. He was a damn single father after his wife was killed by the Borg (and, apparently, he was an excellent and encouraging father at that!). He was a Captain who was able to simultaneously care deeply about his people and their station yet be authoritative and firm if needed. He was a hell-raiser in his youth but turned out to be a demigod to the Bajorans. He was a straight-shooter; his strategy was not to be diplomatic (i.e., Picard) or cunning (i.e., Kirk) but to blow the hell out of everything. He could cook and play baseball. He was a manly man who wasn't afraid to cry in public. He was a firm believer in Federation morality and ethics, but was willing to set aside his beliefs to protect the entire Alpha Quadrant. I mean, seriously, that is an awesome character."

Dr. Hannibal Lecter: Despite the fact that at his core he is a twisted man, Dr. Lecter is one of my favorites because he is quite brilliant and captivating. Throughout both the films and the books he is an excellent physician and psychiatrist. What's beautiful to me is his ability to integrate the arts and humanities into his chosen profession. And, of course, he has such style. Again, it was a shame that he was a villain.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Rogue (X-men):
For reasons already stated.

Sabina (The Unbearable Lightness of Being):
The most extreme example of the theme of the novel, the lightness of being. She does not form unbreakable attachments, but rather lives wholly in the present. She rebels against conformity, Kitsch, and totalitarianism, but does not feel compelled to crusade. She is free of all constraints, responsibilities, and earthly ties. She just lives an unapologetic life of freedom. Possibly ESFP.

Raistlin Majere (Dragonlace):
I cannot say that I quite identify with him, certainly not with his ambition (I have none). Nevertheless, he is a fascinating and complex literary construct; his fierce intellect compensating for the frailty of his body, his exploitation of his brother’s love of him in order to secure his assistance, while simultaneously resenting his need for that help. I do identify with his feeling of isolation and the temptation he feels (and his cynicism and sarcasm). I am guessing INTJ.

Anne Shirley (Anne of Green Gables):
I identify strongly with this character. She has a vivid imagination that often gets her in trouble, and a keen ability to observe what is positive in people, to focus on and encourage their good traits. She is surrounded by people who do not understand her. She is bold and stubborn (which I am in my way). I had an incredibly strong imagination as a child, such that it overlapped into the real world, and refused to conform even in the face of hostility or ridicule. Plus, like me, she is well-acquainted with stress. Almost certainly INFP.

Howard Roark (The Fountainhead):
A man of uncompromising principles, motivated by rational self-interest. He wants to do what he loves, on his terms, and cares not at all what others may wish of him, or think he should be or do. Likewise, he makes no demands on anyone else, allowing them to live as they wish. I am guessing INTJ.

The Tin Man
Classic INFJ. If I only had a heart.

·
Registered
802 Posts
These aren't in any special order, except the order in which I thought of them.

1) Anne Shirley (Anne of Green Gables) - Perky, quirky, spirited, and caring. Who wouldn't love her?
2) Remus Lupin (Harry Potter series) - He was just so nice to Neville! He struck me as such a
compassionate person.
3) Elizabeth Bennet (Pride and Prejudice) - A clichéd choice perhaps, but she's just so darned witty!
5) Candide (Candide, or Optimism) - Don't we all feel at times that we want simple things, yet are thwarted
to unbelievable - even hyperbolic - degrees?

There are more, but these are the first five to pop into my head.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Uzumaki Naruto:
Give up? Why there's no giving up! It's my way of the ninja!
Edward Elric:
Nothing like being there for your family!
Alphonse Elric:
Love their family bond!
Sailor Moon:
I loved this series as a kid. LOVE it.
Captain Janeway (From the starship voyager!):
Talk about one strong willed lady who can lead her crew!

If I can think of 5 more, I'll type it.. but those are my top 5! I love

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Captain Benjamin Sisko: "Throughout the series I came to identify with his characteristics. He was a damn single father after his wife was killed by the Borg (and, apparently, he was an excellent and encouraging father at that!). He was a Captain who was able to simultaneously care deeply about his people and their station yet be authoritative and firm if needed. He was a hell-raiser in his youth but turned out to be a demigod to the Bajorans. He was a straight-shooter; his strategy was not to be diplomatic (i.e., Picard) or cunning (i.e., Kirk) but to blow the hell out of everything. He could cook and play baseball. He was a manly man who wasn't afraid to cry in public. He was a firm believer in Federation morality and ethics, but was willing to set aside his beliefs to protect the entire Alpha Quadrant. I mean, seriously, that is an awesome character."
I like your thorough explanation on your admiration for Captain Sisko. In truth, I like Star Trek, Star Wars and most of the movies or series set in space. I did want to watch Deep Space 9, but I always got distracted by other things. But from what you say, Sisko is an awesome character. Thanks for sharing! :D

Raistlin Majere (Dragonlace):
I cannot say that I quite identify with him, certainly not with his ambition (I have none). Nevertheless, he is a fascinating and complex literary construct; his fierce intellect compensating for the frailty of his body, his exploitation of his brother’s love of him in order to secure his assistance, while simultaneously resenting his need for that help. I do identify with his feeling of isolation and the temptation he feels (and his cynicism and sarcasm). I am guessing INTJ.

Anne Shirley (Anne of Green Gables):
I identify strongly with this character. She has a vivid imagination that often gets her in trouble, and a keen ability to observe what is positive in people, to focus on and encourage their good traits. She is surrounded by people who do not understand her. She is bold and stubborn (which I am in my way). I had an incredibly strong imagination as a child, such that it overlapped into the real world, and refused to conform even in the face of hostility or ridicule. Plus, like me, she is well-acquainted with stress. Almost certainly INFP.
I've never read Dragonlance before, but given your description of Raistlin Majere, he sure sounds like an INTJ.

Hmm you and Yellowbritt have signaled out Anne Shirley as your favourite character. It might warrant a closer look on my part at her.

These aren't in any special order, except the order in which I thought of them.

1) Anne Shirley (Anne of Green Gables) - Perky, quirky, spirited, and caring. Who wouldn't love her?
2) Remus Lupin (Harry Potter series) - He was just so nice to Neville! He struck me as such a
compassionate person.
3) Elizabeth Bennet (Pride and Prejudice) - A clichéd choice perhaps, but she's just so darned witty!
5) Candide (Candide, or Optimism) - Don't we all feel at times that we want simple things, yet are thwarted
to unbelievable - even hyperbolic - degrees?

Yeah Remus Lupin is truly one of the nicer characters in the Harry Potter series. He also happens to be the only person I'm familiar with in your list. :p

Uzumaki Naruto:
Give up? Why there's no giving up! It's my way of the ninja!
Edward Elric:
Nothing like being there for your family!
Alphonse Elric:
Love their family bond!
Sailor Moon:
I loved this series as a kid. LOVE it.
Captain Janeway (From the starship voyager!):
Talk about one strong willed lady who can lead her crew!
Naruto is alright, but a little too enthusiastic for my liking. I prefer Gaara and Rock Lee haha. But I like Rock Lee for his determination to overcome the odds.

Reactions: SuperunknownVortex

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These are my favourite fictional characters:

Kenshiro:

The main hero of the manga Fist of the North Star, he lives in a dystopian future where he fights to protect the weak and innocent. Although he has deadly martial arts, I like him for his great compassion. Because a lot of people believe he will be the saviour to bring peace to this chaotic era, many of his friends have given their lives for him so that he may live to fight the tyrant. Having lost so many dear friends because of pointless wars for dominance, Kenshiro has a lot of pain and sadness. But still he lives on to protect the people and to fulfil his destiny.

Hulk:

When I was young I liked the hulk for his immense strength. But as I got older, I liked him for being a tragic character. Feared by all for his rage and appearance as a monster, he still makes an effort to protect the people who cannot understand him. At the same time he struggles to control his own rage and inner demons. I don't like the dumb hulk that the public is familiar with, but the more complex and thinking versions that he evolved into.

Hellboy:

I suppose I have a thing for manly outcasts with sensitive sides. I like how Hellboy despite being a demon still tries to do the right thing and protect the innocent instead of giving into his intended destiny. It's probably that inner struggle against his darker urges that fascinates me. And despite all the cosmic forces that are in play around him, all he wants is to do his job and go home. The simple things in life I suppose.

Bender:

I love Bender from Futurama. He's such a badass robot with a tender and emotional side to him. I always feel sorry for him whenever he's hurt...don't know how those illustrators do it...especially when people can't appreciate his cooking.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
V from V for Vendetta

The Punisher

Kiddo from Kill Bill

Itachi from Naruto

Yes, I'm a fan of bad-ass characters. I love the way they make justice and go to great lengths to punish those who had done wrong. I'm a peacemaker and it's my philosophy to keep that peace in a world of chaos, and that's why I admire them.

Reactions: The Vizier

·
Registered
23 Posts
Huey Freeman (The Boondocks): I love how he always seems to miserable all the time because the world is so far away from harmony and that's what he fights for everyday. Also he's very introverted, wise, dedicated, and political which are all traits we share. I think he's an INFJ.

"V" which was already mentioned is also one of my favs. He shares many of the traits as Huey. I do his mysteriousness and soft heartless yet when the time calls to get violent and savage he will happily oblige you.

Scarecrow (Batman) Since the first time I saw him years ago, I've always had a fascination with him. Easily my favorite comic book villain. "The only thing to fear is fear itself."

Philip J Fry (Futurama) So misunderstood, unappreciated, unloved, unsuccessful at almost everything he does yet he keeps going on everyday with a smile on his face. Also he's hilarious even when he isn't even trying to be. His relationship with Leela is something of quite familiar with. To be in love with someone who you love but they don't love you back. Even knowing that he continues to try to gain her attention and affection.:sad:

Brock Samson (Venture Bros) How can you not like him?

Yoda (Star Wars) He defined the phrase "Big things come in small packages." He knows his way around a lightsabre and knows more about the force than probably any other jedi. He seems like the kind of guy you could always go to if you had a problem. Live forever my little green friend. :laughing:

·
Registered
571 Posts
1. Gandalf (The Lord of the Rings)
2. Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

These two have always invoked some admiration from me because of their wisdom and intelligence. They were level headed in a crisis and were always concerned with the welfare of the other characters. Both were considered the most powerful in their respective worlds (outside of Sauron for Gandalf), but they didn't toss around their abilities as if on some kind of power trip; in fact, it seemed like violence and war were their last resorts.

The dialogue from both of them made for some great quotes too. These two always had some eloquent one-liners. :tongue:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Professor X and Cyclops (X-Men): They are idealistic, fiercely dedicated to a dream / mission, and generally do not betray their principles in pursuit of that dream.

Captain Jean Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation): A wise, level-headed leader who excels at diplomacy and getting his crew to do their best.

Ikari Shinji (Neon Genesis Evangelion): An almost extreme introvert, underneath the loneliness he really did yearn for human connection.

Katara (Avatar: The Last Airbender): A caring, gentle, and responsible caretaker.

Elphaba Thropp (Wicked): Headstrong and determined, she knows what she believes and will defend her stance. But, she also knows her limitations and is open to learning.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Dave Robicheaux (James Lee Burke's main character) I love Dave because he does what he thinks is right, even when he knows he will pay for it. He is not a perfect person, and he treats people who deserve it with respect. He does not try to impress people and he is loyal to his family and friends. He is proud of his Cajun heritage.

Clarice Starling (Silence of the Lambs) She's flawed and admits she's not perfect. She's not one of those bad ass female types who wants to show she has a bigger penis then the guys. She starts out doing her job because it's the right thing to do. She's respectful. She is aware of the danger she has to put herself in and does not try to pretend she is super bad. She knew fear and knowing fear is what made her empathize with what the victims had gone through, and was going through.

Dolores Claiborne (Stephen King) Because sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has in life. She was loyal and hard working. She didn't mind suffering herself but she couldn't stand by and let others suffer. And when she did what she felt revealed the suffering she was punished. As an INFJ this rings of truth with me. You take on the worlds problems and instead of getting a thank you, you get a swift kick in the teeth. I'm with Dolores, I'd rather hang out with the dust bunnies.

Chyna Sheperd (Intensity-by Dean Koontz) She learned at an early age to trust her instincts. She ends up having to attempt to rescue a girl who has learned her own set of survival skills. Her since of obligation and responsibility forces her to remain in the presents of evil, even at her own risk. Her ability to remain calm, analyze a situation and move forward despite possible pain and death is one reason I enjoyed the character. This is another book with a great villain.

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
Mary Poppins
She is gentle yet stands her ground. Mary has a dry sense of humor (A sense of humor none the less.). Mary's cheekiness comes off in an less offensive way, because of her gentle firmness. She stops you in your tracks while you remain smiling. An intense personality to be sure. She says what she means & means what she says. She has a lightness about her~~a large heart. Mary taught me that it is ok to laugh at seriousness. Such a thing reduces stress enabling the ability to deal with said seriousness. I call her my Sparrow.

Wolverine
My favorite superhero is Wolverine. “He can wreak havoc in Wolverine form, yet when he is in his human form he has emotions & shows them through his eyes.” I wrote this last sentence on another post, but I re-thought that statement. Whether he is Wolverine or Logan, he shows his emotions through his eyes. Wolverine can be wild at times, but still holds onto his code of honor & morals. He is quiet, intelligent, intuitive, experienced, passionate & intense. I love the strength in is being, as well as, in his convictions. I call him my Blue Jay.

Dr. Hannibal Lecter: Despite the fact that at his core he is a twisted man, Dr. Lecter is one of my favorites because he is quite brilliant and captivating. Throughout both the films and the books he is an excellent physician and psychiatrist. What's beautiful to me is his ability to integrate the arts and humanities into his chosen profession. And, of course, he has such style. Again, it was a shame that he was a villain.

Hannibal Lecter fascinates me, yet he is not one of my favorites. He simply stands out. Lector scares the heck out of me. Yet, I read every book & watched the movies. To think a man can be as extremely twisted as he is with such intelligence. Could such a high level of intelligence have caused Hannibal to be so darn demoralized?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Locke Cole from Final Fantasy VI. He is very true to his emotions, has a sense of humour, is in love with a woman that he spends years looking for the phoenix esper to resurrect her and is able to love again.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts