Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
WHAAT NO WAY!! :( :( I guess I can settle for an Elemental or a Mesmer.. *sadness* I love raising team mates' HP bars more than lowering enemy HP bars...
The support character is the the guardian, many buffs, shields that protect others. While there is only one slot for a spell that only heals, some the abilities that do dps also heal at the same time. Its support but goes beyond just watching health bars. read reviews of people that have played it during beta, ti'll give you a clearer picture of the guardian than I can.

I'm definitely playing GW2, I already pre-purchased. Its a whole new way of thinking and its different and that is why I have to try it. Although I'm also excited about diablo 3, its a successful and enjoyable formula I've already experienced and know I'll enjoy again, so gonna hold off on that one a bit.

·
Banned
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Guys the beta is coming along next week starting Friday. I'm going to open up with a day or two of group PvEing with PvPing at night time and finishing up on Sunday with a full-day PvP.

I'm recruiting a few players to join me, and am going to be using Ventrilo so we can explore/collaborate more effectively. My goal is going to be to explore as much of the game as possible in as little time, with a particular emphasis on developing combat finesse and skill (since this combat system is going to be particularly "artistic"). I'll refer back to this thread again somewhere around Wednesday next week but reply to this comment if you're interested in joining me.

By the way, the support class which most closely resembles the monk from Guild Wars 1 is actually a water-attuned elementalist. That class has the most non self-heals and is the most supportive.

I will be playing a human mesmer.

(btw, in order to get into all the betas from here on out you must pre-purchase from their website).

·
Registered
544 Posts
By the way, the support class which most closely resembles the monk from Guild Wars 1 is actually a water-attuned elementalist. That class has the most non self-heals and is the most supportive.
Huh? From the articles of beta testers, the guardian is most monk-like. Water elementist look to be a little bit of healing and more crowd control (slowing, chilling effects).

there are some serious prot-Monk aspects to the Guardian, and I don't think that's an accident. The Monk is a core and well-loved profession, one that a lot of members of the current Guild Wars community didn't want to see eliminated. src

·
Banned
7,928 Posts
If I get a better computer to play it on, I'll definitely play!

I usually focus all my energy on one full-support (FS) character. Any other character classes are for money farming. I never could enjoy playing a non-FS character. I love being the supporter and keeping people alive. I loved my Monk! :D

I, myself, am a jack of all trades. I can play anything that's needed and do a fairly good job at it. Better players will outshine me and I'll smoke worse ones.

However, in every online game I've played, I can't stand playing pure support for too long. Being entirely reliant on other people to do their job so I can do mine makes me rage.

I mean, I've been told off for getting aggro as a heal in multiple games. And every time I say healing draws aggro they start insulting me. I've TANKED instances as a healer because the tanks were terrible. I remember doing Razorfen Kraul on a priest back in vanilla WoW. I spent the whole time running around in circles keeping myself alive while the DPS did what they could to help. Meanwhile, the "tank" is standing somewhere attacking his one target, which he has miraculously been able to keep the attention of. When I'd tell him to help, he'd do what I mentioned: insult me for drawing aggro as a healer.

It's those kinds of experiences that make me rage quit every time I make a healer in any game I've played. Even in TF2, I can't play medic.

How can you stand that crap? Or am I just incredibly unlucky whenever I try playing a full support character?

·
Banned
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I, myself, am a jack of all trades. I can play anything that's needed and do a fairly good job at it. Better players will outshine me and I'll smoke worse ones.

However, in every online game I've played, I can't stand playing pure support for too long. Being entirely reliant on other people to do their job so I can do mine makes me rage.

I mean, I've been told off for getting aggro as a heal in multiple games. And every time I say healing draws aggro they start insulting me. I've TANKED instances as a healer because the tanks were terrible. I remember doing Razorfen Kraul on a priest back in vanilla WoW. I spent the whole time running around in circles keeping myself alive while the DPS did what they could to help. Meanwhile, the "tank" is standing somewhere attacking his one target, which he has miraculously been able to keep the attention of. When I'd tell him to help, he'd do what I mentioned: insult me for drawing aggro as a healer.

It's those kinds of experiences that make me rage quit every time I make a healer in any game I've played. Even in TF2, I can't play medic.

How can you stand that crap? Or am I just incredibly unlucky whenever I try playing a full support character?
You gotta sell yourself to the right crowd -- put some value on your worth -- market your credentials.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Hmm.. I played monk as my first character and went through all the campaigns and the expansion in a month or two with her. I just kept doing all my research on forums and wikis to figure out the best practices on how to keep the team alive. I'm really thorough when I play MMOs/RPGs, so I literally invest all my time learning all the skills, about all the equips, aggro thresholds, etc.

Even when I finished the first campaign, I would team with people and noobs for fun to help them complete their missions. I made it my goal to try to beat all the missions being the only FS monk in the team. (Except maybe that HP draining dragon stage. That one's a biznatch!)

I guess I'm a little bit obsessive with MMOs and mastering full-support class. >.<

I've seen some bad monks and non-monk players who would blame me for their silly mistakes. Usually those guys can't survive without a healer. It's a nice lesson to teach them by leaving voluntarily and letting them figure out how to survive without your help. ;)

I miss my good old gamer days! :D

I don't have time to game anymore with real life and having to work to survive now, but back when I'd play 18+ hours a day in the summer.. those were the days. ^__^

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
My daughter never played GW!, BUT has been all over the hype for GW2 for months. Sad part is, we are Mac owners. She is going to have to borrow a PC to play, which might not work, depending on the system requirments for such vid/graphics.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My daughter never played GW!, BUT has been all over the hype for GW2 for months. Sad part is, we are Mac owners. She is going to have to borrow a PC to play, which might not work, depending on the system requirments for such vid/graphics.
Despite GW2's amazing graphics, the minimum system requirements (so far) are actually relatively low!
There's a good chance it'll be able to run it.

·
Banned
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
They added the world feature. This sucks.

Anyway, I'll be playing on Vasburg. Anyone who will be joining that world is welcome to join me in-game: Domzz will be my un.

·
Banned
7,928 Posts
Have you tried giving Bootcamp a look?
It's something that allows mac users to run windows on their systems, thus allowing them to play PC only games and use PC only programs. I don't know anything about it as I'm purely a PC person, but it is supposed to be free with certain mac OS.

You will have to buy the windows OS, which can run you from 100 bucks to like 200 depending on which you buy. If you have more than 4 GB of ram, I suggest trying to get a 64 bit version as well, as 32 bit versions don't support more than 4 gigs of ram.

I'm buying D3 for sure. Hopefully I'll have the funds for GW2. I'm making a Wizard in D3, and I'd like to make either a Norn or Human Ele in GW2 as well.
Did you get a chance to hop in during the free Diablo 3 beta weekend thing?
Basically, anyone who wanted it could download and play the beta for their last beta weekend.

I was surprised, and have seen others mention the same, about how the beta influenced which character I'm going to play first once the game goes live. I was originally planning to play a monk first, but after trying all the classes during the weekend, I found Witch Doctor to be the most fun. In terms of fun, after the free for all weekend, I'd rank the classes in this order:
1. Witch Doctor
2. Barbarian
3. Witch Hunter
4. Monk
5. Wizard

I've seen people on Reddit talk about abandoning Wizards after trying other classes and others talk about abandoning other classes when they got to try Wizard.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yeah, I did. Honestly, I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Aside from not playing Diablo 2 since my junior high days (roughly) and having a vague memory of what the game was like then, I think my perception of games when I was younger was quite a bit over-exaggerated in comparison to my perception present day, and I was letting the memory on the pedestal get in the way of my reasoning prior to trying the beta. I could see myself getting a bit bored of it after a month roughly, so I decided to pre-purchase GW2 so that I could participate in the BWE. I don't regret choosing GW instead.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'll probably give it a whirl once I'm finished with my classes, but there are too many games to play as is and not currently enough time! (FFXIV, WoW, Diablo 3, RP MUDs, etc.). Come on world, let me have a solid week of no strings attached game playing. It's the only way I can fully enjoy GW2 D:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Basically, anyone who wanted it could download and play the beta for their last beta weekend.

I was surprised, and have seen others mention the same, about how the beta influenced which character I'm going to play first once the game goes live. I was originally planning to play a monk first, but after trying all the classes during the weekend, I found Witch Doctor to be the most fun. In terms of fun, after the free for all weekend, I'd rank the classes in this order:
1. Witch Doctor
2. Barbarian
3. Witch Hunter
4. Monk
5. Wizard

I've seen people on Reddit talk about abandoning Wizards after trying other classes and others talk about abandoning other classes when they got to try Wizard.
I haven't really been following it on Reddit *slumps over to do so...* but out of all of the classes I did try I also thought WD was the most fun. Didn't get around to trying them all so I won't make my own ranking order (yet), but yours seems pretty spot on for my own opinion (save wizard, which I'd place above monk). Oh dear, I bet there's another thread about D3 and I haven't looked yet and instead am hijacking one about GW2. My bad :ninja:

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm new to this game. I'm trying out the beta first, see where it goes. I'm also a big Diablo fan. I saw the gameplay videos of GW2 and it looks like The Old Republic type of interface. I got kind of bored with TOR, so I'll see.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I played engi and thief, engi is mostly defensive with mines and a lot of guns, plus some chemical concoctions for healing and buffing, immobilize him and he dies in seconds

thief is mostly offensive and very much the same gameplay as the assassin from GW with more acrobatics

thieves can also do the matrix gunfight thing

not a bad story if you play human, the norn one is like FOR THE GLORY OF MY LEGEND and the charr one is like RAAAAAAAARGH GUNS AND TANKS AND BLOOD also good for people who like spikes on everything, including underwear

not sure why anyone would want to play charr, they're all psychotic murderers with a veneer of military discipline, while norn get drunk out of their minds and brag about all the stuff they killed, I found the human thief most relatable

·
Registered
201 Posts
awwwww, my (real) life ends at 28.8.2012

and Im totally looking forward to it!

not sure what I will play yet, but most likely a female Sylvari, or a male human
and some magic class (either elementalist or necro, maybe meszmer too though)

and btw, Is it just me or was Diablo3 really really dissapointing?
(sad that I bought it for 60€ ..)

·
Registered
272 Posts
The game actually seems like it'd be a ton of fun and I love how they're making the gameplay in real time, so the game will be more skill based than gear based (which I'm hoping will separate the good players from the crappy ones). Still, I don't have a desktop powerful enough to run the game, so I'll sadly have to pass on it til I have enough money to buy one.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I'll be playing it. I played on GW quite a bit so this will be nothing new to me. The only thing that pisses me off is the lack of MP now....that's unrealistic. MP has been around since.....Final Fantasy I.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts