Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wanted to hear anyone else's opinion on this, especially someone who knows about mbti.
I figured I could start with the infjs that have read it and have some discussion. I would think that a lot of infjs would probably consider saying they're divergent with a mix of amity, abnegation, and maybe some erudite

What faction do you guys think infjs would fit under best? Do you think you'd have a difficult time choosing your faction, knowing that you won't be able to take it back and you'd have to live on that one path your whole life?

Reactions: imaginaryrobot

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have read it, though it was maybe two years ago.

I think I fit in with Amity the most. The others would be Candor or Erudite, in that order. Dauntless would be the last thing I could be, honestly. And although Abnegation is admirable, I don't think I could quite do it. Perhaps I'd be Divergent with an emphasis on Amity, Candor, and Erudite.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'm a little bit more than halfway through the first book right now. And the ones you listed are for sure the ones I identify with most. But I think I fit in with Amity too much so I don't know if I'd actually be divergent. I think Abnegation has really nice values in theory, but the way they go about it is just ridiculous and I'd need more of a life and personality than that. >_< And Erudites seem a little too cold right now, but my opinions of them might change as I read more.

I'm glad I got to talk just a bit about the book 'cause nobody I know in real life is reading it yet.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm a little bit more than halfway through the first book right now. And the ones you listed are for sure the ones I identify with most. But I think I fit in with Amity too much so I don't know if I'd actually be divergent. I think Abnegation has really nice values in theory, but the way they go about it is just ridiculous and I'd need more of a life and personality than that. >_< And Erudites seem a little too cold right now, but my opinions of them might change as I read more.

I'm glad I got to talk just a bit about the book 'cause nobody I know in real life is reading it yet.
haha really? well a movie of it is coming out next year. I'm doing a novel project on it actually. the book only gets better :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there. I recently was forced into taking the MBTI by some of my friends, and I'm an INFJ. I usually take extremely little notice of online tests, etc., but the description matched me so perfectly that this one was hard to ignore. It was honestly a little unsettling and makes sense of a lot of the problems I have my life and why I always feel like there's a glass wall between other people and myself.

I've been doing as much research on INFJs as I can, and it seems that we fit the role of some sort of Peaceful Protector. I think we'd be Divergent, as INFJs have that special ability to sense something more and find intricate meaning in the world around us. We literally think outside the box, through no choice of our own, but through whatever strange science supports our personality type. But I know personally that I would be Dauntless…surprisingly for the same reasons I'm an INFJ. People around me have told me I'd definitely be Dauntless, as I'm always ready for an adrenaline rush or to kick ass if something goes down; but they also aren't aware of the deep emotions and metaphorically poetic pictorial connections that occur in my head. I'm also in Marine Corps ROTC; the decision to pursue a commission as a USMC Officer was made because I value peace above everything else, and I want to protect those I love and be able to care for them if the worst happens. Marines are also the best warriors and protectors the world's military has seen, and I love the dedication to relentless excellence, service before self, and love of Honor, Courage, and Commitment. I really don't care much about my personal safety, and I have a dark side that would definitely fit in with the Dauntless stereotype. However, inside, I'm not blunt, rude, or loud by any stretch of the imagination (see Dauntless Manifesto below), and I would probably be marked as a little bit of an anomaly if I lived among the Dauntless. But I would love every minute of it, as I do with ROTC.

"We believe that cowardice is to blame for the world’s injustices. We believe that peace is hard-won, that sometimes it is necessary to fight for peace.
But more than that:
We believe that justice is more important than peace.
We believe in freedom from fear, in denying fear the power to influence our decisions.
We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.
We believe in acknowledging fear and the extent to which it rules us.
We believe in facing that fear no matter what the cost to our comfort, our happiness, or even our sanity.
We believe in shouting for those who can only whisper, in defending those who cannot defend themselves.
We believe, not just in bold words but in bold deeds to match them.
We believe that pain and death are better than cowardice and inaction because we believe in action.
We do not believe in living comfortable lives.
We do not believe that silence is useful.
We do not believe in good manners.
We do not believe in empty heads, empty mouths, or empty hands.
We do not believe that learning to master violence encourages unnecessary violence.
We do not believe that we should be allowed to stand idly by.
We do not believe that any other virtue is more important than bravery.”
-Dauntless Manifesto

I love the idea behind Abnegation, but peace can not always win against evil and pure terror. Sometimes action, even violent action is better than letting evil happen and staying peacefully to oneself. There's also an unhealthy lack of self-expression.

Like other INFJs, I also have a creative side that would fit Amity pretty darn well. I would be perfectly at home living a hippie-type lifestyle, except for the fact that I'm not protecting other people or actively working to make the world a less evil place. I can play practically any instrument given to me, though I can't read music well and I'm lousy at music theory. I also paint and draw, and when I'm in a situation where I can't create or write for prolonged periods, I start to go a little crazy. (Example A: I have a physics final tomorrow but haven't written or thought deeply about anything but math for several days, and I end up reading about MBTI and responding to year-old threads).

However, not sure about Erudite or Candor. I lie a lot to protect my inner self and the thoughts really going on in my head, so much to the point where I start to believe the lies myself. I'd be pretty screwed in Candor, and I think many other INFJs would be too. We prefer others not to know what's going on truthfully for a reason, usually not a malicious one at all, but because other types typically just Do Not Understand.
Erudite… I mean, I'm smart(ish). I don't feel smart but I make myself work very hard and therefore get good grades. But I'm not naturally intelligent like Erudites seem to me. At least in a traditional school setting sense. I just can't think very technically or linearly. (Hence the procrastinating for Physics exam that will whip my butt tomorrow).
So there's my take. I think we'd be Divergent but fit well in Amity, Dauntless, and Abnegation in the same way we're able to fit in in the real world: by hiding that "Divergent" part of ourselves and creating a bit of an exterior that's extremely personable and able to meld into various social scenes provided we have the means to create and recharge on our own.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts