Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In honor of Labor Day, though not really, do any of you guys enjoy working? I'm still young and I just recently graduated from college so needless to say that I'm still completely confused as to what I want to do with my life. I've had several jobs throughout my life and they were all fine initially but a few months later I often became very dissatisfied with them. Now, I've heard it time and time again, let your career be your passion or find something you love and you will never have to work a day in your life! That's solid advice except that I feel as if it doesn't really pertain to me. My passions and interests change as often as the seasons do. I may be interested in programming one day but after awhile of immersing myself in it I'm done and can't even stand to think about it. I have a job now that's always been a dream job of mine and I've been there for going on three months now. I loved it when I initially started and wouldn't dream of wanting to do anything else! Now I'm just like meh. Normally I'd just say I'm in a bit of a funk and that this is totally normal but this seems to be a pattern with me. I'm really starting to think that I'm utter and entirely opposed to the concept of working, even if it is centered around something that I would normally enjoy. Why can't I enjoy working? Am I lazy? Ahaha!

What do you guys think of this whole working business? What do you do? What would you like to do?

I think the ideal life for me would be to live out in the middle of nowhere, running my own business yet still having plenty of free time to do whatever it is that I want to do. Yup, that would be the life!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Ha
You made me laugh.
Because it is so true.
And this topic never gets old.

Maybe work isn't meant to be the be-all and end-all that we seem to want it to be. If it were, well I sure suck at it also.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I work in a mountain shop selling climbing and backcountry skiing gear. I don't like the retail hours and I don't like the administrative part of my job (I'm a manager). But I love helping people learn what they need to enjoy the mountains, getting them a great deal on it, and I love hearing that I was very helpful from my customers. I had a pretty good day today at the shop. A couple of customers even thanked me for working on Labor Day.

I don't make much money but the stress levels are low and I get to play with skis and boots and ropes and ice tools all day when it's 100 degrees F outside. That helps me get through the summer in one piece.

I did this job right after college in the same location where I work today (different business but the same location). I got fired from that job for disagreeing with the owner about paying some bills so we could get more gear to sell. I don't have that problem now--if anything I'm not aggressive enough as a buyer. Having come full circle in my life I try not to have any regrets about what I have done in the intervening 30+ years, but I sometimes wish I had stayed with my passion rather than selling my soul for a high salary for a couple of decades.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
In honor of Labor Day, though not really, do any of you guys enjoy working? I'm still young and I just recently graduated from college so needless to say that I'm still completely confused as to what I want to do with my life. I've had several jobs throughout my life and they were all fine initially but a few months later I often became very dissatisfied with them. Now, I've heard it time and time again, let your career be your passion or find something you love and you will never have to work a day in your life! That's solid advice except that I feel as if it doesn't really pertain to me. My passions and interests change as often as the seasons do. I may be interested in programming one day but after awhile of immersing myself in it I'm done and can't even stand to think about it. I have a job now that's always been a dream job of mine and I've been there for going on three months now. I loved it when I initially started and wouldn't dream of wanting to do anything else! Now I'm just like meh. Normally I'd just say I'm in a bit of a funk and that this is totally normal but this seems to be a pattern with me. I'm really starting to think that I'm utter and entirely opposed to the concept of working, even if it is centered around something that I would normally enjoy. Why can't I enjoy working? Am I lazy? Ahaha!

What do you guys think of this whole working business? What do you do? What would you like to do?

I think the ideal life for me would be to live out in the middle of nowhere, running my own business yet still having plenty of free time to do whatever it is that I want to do. Yup, that would be the life!
I used to think like this, but then I realized my parents will die eventually and at the very least I'd have to take care of myself and pay bills etc. The truth is that all jobs are jobs and eventually they all suck more or less on one or more levels. To add to this I could die any day from some freak accident, so is it really worth trying to find happyness in a job? NO.

I have a job in order to secure finances for the stuff I want to do in my life, so a job has to be a good ballance between income and levels of stress, it doesen't have to be fun all the time, but the more enjoyable you can make it, the better, because you'll get lower levels of stress with things you are good at / do all the time (in my case IT stuff).

I ultimately chose network administrator and photgrapher as my jobs (yes I have 2 for more income), so I can do more with my life.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The only reason one would like to be employed is to acquire money, and to obtain things that require money. If you don't want to work there are alternative lifestyles to live money "free". It all depends on what you want to do in life, and if the sacrifice of your limited time here on earth spent doing labor is worth it in the end.

And also here is a video that best explains my opinions about work, labor, jobs, etc.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just retired after working for the last 33 years. The last 26 years as a sysadmin. I didn't always like working. Sometimes I hated it. Sometimes I loved it. But I stuck with it. I raised three daughters and put them through college. I saved for the retirement. Had you asked me if it was worth it at the time I would have been hard pressed to say yes. Ask me know and I can look back and say yes it was more than worth it. I supported my family and gave my children the chance to become what they wanted to be. Money is a fact of life. Find a work/life balance that works for you.

·
MOTM January 2013
10,669 Posts
I enjoy working, as long as it is a flexible job, not degrading on myself and a nice atmosphere to work in in general. It makes me feel productive no matter how many people dislike the notion of going to work. Having been unemployed for a quite some time, I would say I prefer working to not working. Im also incredibly organized and efficient when I put the effort in, I want to be good at what I do and if im always filling the time, then it makes the days go faster. Nearly all the places I have worked at, I have recieved lots of praise for my hardwork and efficiency in my job. The social aspect of jobs is a weak point though, interacting too much with the public.

·
Registered
16,149 Posts
I retired last year after working 25 years. I cannot believe how fantastic life is now that I am retired. I am glad I put in my 25 years, as I was afforded many benefits, not all related to money. I hope I never have to work another day of my life. One guy, just before I retired, told me, after a few months of retirement, he went a little crazy and hated not working. This just goes to show you how many different people there are out there.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
So last year I had my first "job" (it's unpaid, har) interning with a fashion designer. I was kind of surprised that I was able to work like 8 hours+ straight, sometimes with no or very short break (because I'd come in at noon). I really would lose myself when I'm making stuff, then I'd get up and realize I'm dizzy. Haha, ok that last part is kinda bad. But then I also come to work only about 3 times a week, and I didn't do anything else when I wasn't at work because it was summer break. So I still don't know how it would be like if I work this kind of job full time. Also, another thing I was bad at was waking up and coming in on time (hence I ended up coming in at noon mostly). Dangit, I hate waking up.

But still, I think having a job that I can really lose myself into would greatly help, which is why I'm going to pursue a fashion degree. I really can't imagine being able to work like that at an office job. I would get really sleepy the whole time, get nothing done, and just want to go home, and hate my life.

Having said that, I'm not especially passionate with fashion or anything. I like making things that have interesting look/shape/construction, but when I talk to people who really like fashion, sometimes I'd feel like an impostor. Well, but among those sort of people I've met, most of them aren't doing design, they seem to be more interested in fashion business/management or whatever. That latter one I DON'T want to do, I'd rather have a job at a completely different field that is creative (object design, furniture, art stuff, etc).

Also sometimes I'd think in passing, "maybe it would be fun to be a carpenter." But then if I do that, there's a risk of me cutting off my finger. And that would mean I can't play bass. So no to carpenting.

·
Banned
2,581 Posts
I'm officially sick of work. 40 years on the grind & I'm effing tired of it. I was eligible to retire with a pension & benefits in a year but the company moved that out to 4 years. If they do that again we're going on strike. Part of the misery is the 400 miles a week in rush hour traffic. They relocated after I bought a house, now I want to move so I can spend less of my life sitting in a car. Anyway, I'll grind out 4 more years of "character building" & after that........LIFE BEGINS!!! If I'm still healthy.

·
Banned
573 Posts
My job needs to be physical. I think I get the trait from my "duty-fulfiller" mother. It makes me irk to think about my first job as proofreader for a book manufacturer! lmao what a joke.. My problem is that I do not work well with others. Something always ends up happening, wherever I work! I found out about the characteristics and traits of the INFP that I am AFTER I've worked for a few companies with other employees (as a team). I understand, now, why I would always want to work alone and why things never work out between me and other co-workers. I do enjoy work...but only if I feel that my work is being appreciated. I know I'm a hard worker with a great work ethic, but that usually gets taken advantage of. sigh

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
No, I hate it.
I love helping people, being of service, even conversing with strangers some days when I feel particularly hyper or excited for no special reason, I like when I make people smile or laugh while I'm selling them something they probably don't need, I enjoy being physically active, and feeling like I did something good. I also enjoy receiving money very much so I can spend it on having a fun and cozy life.
But "working"? No, because it implies obligation, a schedule, and rules you must follow. And unless I find a job I totally love, it feels like I'm wasting 8 hours of my already short day (another 8 hours go for sleeping) to do shit I don't love. I could be hiking or swimming in the ocean instead, helping some kid build a sand castle and helping some handicapped person get into the water.
Working is pretty much a nightmare and a waste of life.

Reactions: Ode to Trees

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I'm not fond of work, at least nothing I've ever done : / I wouldn't stop, as I consider it a social duty and all that (erm, I mean, even if I didn't need the money somehow, and was still physically able enough/not too old)

Most people aren't terribly fond of work, really... that's why "Labour" Day is a day *off* of work for most people ; P

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I actually enjoy working,I obviously need money to live but it also keeps me busy.I've been thinking of adding on a second job I've been at the job I have now for a little more than a year.I'm a cashier some days I do get stressed(I work alone at a small store,but we get busy) but I also have regulars that can be great and I have a routine.I however would add a second job because i'm living back at home again and I need to get my OWN apartment,not get stuck renting a room.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't mind working hard if I feel like there is a point to the work: if it interests me, if I am learning through it, or if it is of benefit to someone else. It is actually good for me because I feel productive.

But I can't stand working when it it is just for the paycheck, and the work itself is meaningless. I had a summer job once as a salesperson at a clothing store. When there were no customers and everything had been put back in place, the boss would have us unfold and refold clothes just for the sake of having us do something, because she was paying us by the hour. Words cannot describe how insanely boring and useless it felt. I just can't stand that kind of work!! :angry:

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I love working when I need money; I hate it when it is not for a good cause or when I am surrounded by close-minded and unhealthy people. I am not actually afraid of work, but I dislike organizational politics and environments that stifle, automatize, and make monsters of people. Enjoyment from work has to come from somewhere else than just money. For most companies - it is about bottom line - we are just human capital - input and output is our work. Something has to change. I would like to think that crafty and artistic INFPs can find enjoyment in being their own boss and having their own business (a small souvenir store where they sell different goods from home-made lavender soaps placed in creative packages to stained glass objects). Something like that. Or, perhaps working in NGO advocating for important issues to them. Fear-for-existence based employment is never satisfying but actually very hard on INFPs. I also think that INFPs would make great article writers, art photographers, and editors. My INFX mother was a teacher for 30 years. She enjoyed it. She loved her students. She never complained of her job. She was even ESE teacher to students who had behavioral and mental health problems (some of the brought knifes to school), and she was able to reason with them. She actually was born to do that job. That is some luck. I do not believe that unless you love to do something you could mentally and physically stand it for a prolonged time. Personally, I would like to work to help people not to feel afraid of them. Also, as an INFP I need rest - mental rest from all impressions on the job, so that I do not think about job when I am at home. Flexible work schedules and good companies could provide such type of work where introverted feeler person could have actually time to unwind from all stresses and forced extroverting that happens during work. I studied about such companies, I have a difficult time finding them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts