Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the way I learn is from coming up with questions then answering them. SJs generally dislike this method... they like to tell you what to memorize and expect that you drink it like soup. I like to wonder about things and then when I have a question (which i will have many) I just want to ask it... but a lot of people don't really have the answer.... or they have trouble explaining.... or they don't like the intervals in which I ask questions.... or what kind of questions I ask.... it makes them uncomfortable.... prolly because they don't understand my learning style.

Since as INTJ's you have a deep well of information and you REALLY understand it .... and since you are intuitive and I am intuitive as well. Also since we are known to get along with each other easily...... I'd like to ask you questions. I'd want to learn a different language.... I won't be too picky..... I also have questions about lifes tasks... like finances..... or income.... or mortgages.... or investing. .... let's organize this.

1. I'd like to learn a different language

2. I'd like to learn about investing and *money smarts*

.....oh.... looks like I didn't need to organize.

so yea! If anyone would like to help me that would be great. If not that's cool too. Thankssssss

·
Banned
48 Posts
Spanish is my frist language...

Besides that... Dunno. I'm trying to figure out a lot of things myself :D

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Not an INTJ, but imma stick my nose in here anyway =P

As far as speaking a foreign language is concerned, the best way to learn is to surround yourself by people who speak that language and make mistakes. I took over 4 years of "SJ" style spanish classes. It might work for some people for other subjects, but it doesn't work for learning foreign languages. Memorizing and rote rehearsing verb conjugations and spanish word=english word doesn't work. That's not the way the brain learns languages. Learning a language is a matter of making the appropriate associations, just like the way you learned english as a baby. This action or object is associated with this word. Not this word translates to that word which is associated with that action or object.

After over 4 years of those classes, I wasn't fluent. After 2 weeks in Ecuador where my host family spoke no English and I HAD to use spanish to communicate, even if it was bad spanish, I was speaking it quite well and could have gotten fluent had I stayed at least a year. They knew I didn't speak it well, so they were very forgiving of whatever horrific grammar or pronunciation errors I made and they gently corrected me. Believe me, when you are in a situation where you are forced to speak it, you learn to pay attention to whats being said. I even learned how to play rummy with a spanish explanation.

So my advice, and you can take it or leave it, is to find somebody that speaks the language you want to learn and schedule regular outings or activities together and just talk in that language. No english allowed. The person you are with can use hand gestures, pointing, demonstrations, pictures etc to explain what you don't understand. You will learn it much better that way than if you switch to English for the explanation.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not an INTJ, but imma stick my nose in here anyway =P

As far as speaking a foreign language is concerned, the best way to learn is to surround yourself by people who speak that language and make mistakes. I took over 4 years of "SJ" style spanish classes. It might work for some people for other subjects, but it doesn't work for learning foreign languages. Memorizing and rote rehearsing verb conjugations and spanish word=english word doesn't work. That's not the way the brain learns languages. Learning a language is a matter of making the appropriate associations, just like the way you learned english as a baby. This action or object is associated with this word. Not this word translates to that word which is associated with that action or object.

After over 4 years of those classes, I wasn't fluent. After 2 weeks in Ecuador where my host family spoke no English and I HAD to use spanish to communicate, even if it was bad spanish, I was speaking it quite well and could have gotten fluent had I stayed at least a year. They knew I didn't speak it well, so they were very forgiving of whatever horrific grammar or pronunciation errors I made and they gently corrected me. Believe me, when you are in a situation where you are forced to speak it, you learn to pay attention to whats being said. I even learned how to play rummy with a spanish explanation.

So my advice, and you can take it or leave it, is to find somebody that speaks the language you want to learn and schedule regular outings or activities together and just talk in that language. No english allowed. The person you are with can use hand gestures, pointing, demonstrations, pictures etc to explain what you don't understand. You will learn it much better that way than if you switch to English for the explanation.

K totally wrote two paragraphs of a response then realized my internet cut out :dry:. SO I'm gonna try and say what I said again cept now it's gonna be all contrived and weird.

Alright. I completelllllly agree. My mom speaks tagalog and whenever she speaks to her relatives I randomly hear phrases that she says more often than others and they get stuck in my head.... and then I wonder what they mean... and then I can ask her.... and bam. *thinks to remember what else I said*. It's nice having an entp back up your intuitions. Makes me feel like I'm not a crazy person who's learning style is wack xD

oh this wasn't in the paragraph..... my moms aunt is actually an english teacher in the Philippines. My mom recommended I ask her about my questions. My aunt is an esfj though. And whenever I'd do this with her .... I'd ask questions and she'd be like...... I don't understand you...... and I was like.... uhhhh k? So yea... I dunno where I was going with that! YEA! COOL!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Nah, you aren't crazy.

I have an odd learning style too and it often puts me at a disadvantage in my classes. I need to have an understanding of the big picture, the whole concept, before I can understand the individual pieces or steps. This is basically the total opposite of the way they teach things in most classes...They assume that if you learn in steps first, learn fragments one or two at a time, then you can put the big picture together at the end. Grasping the big picture first really makes no sense and I'm not sure even I can explain it, but its like a lightbulb turns on and all the pieces or steps make sense.

So sometimes when somebody is explaining something, I will stop them and ask questions in an attempt to get the big picture explained. This can sometimes cause confusion since they don't know how to explain it without going through the steps first.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nah, you aren't crazy.

I have an odd learning style too and it often puts me at a disadvantage in my classes. I need to have an understanding of the big picture, the whole concept, before I can understand the individual pieces or steps. This is basically the total opposite of the way they teach things in most classes...They assume that if you learn in steps first, learn fragments one or two at a time, then you can put the big picture together at the end. Grasping the big picture first really makes no sense and I'm not sure even I can explain it, but its like a lightbulb turns on and all the pieces or steps make sense.

So sometimes when somebody is explaining something, I will stop them and ask questions in an attempt to get the big picture explained. This can sometimes cause confusion since they don't know how to explain it without going through the steps first.
gahh yep im exactly the same way. Do you have anything else that you do in order to get the big picture?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Aside from asking questions, sometimes some kind of visual aid will help. Like a video or picture or diagram. Something that really over simplifies the whole process. If the textbook breaks something down in steps, sometimes I read the chapter backwards starting with the last section that pieces all the steps together.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I am pretty competent in two languages that could be foreign to you (Dutch and German as a first and third language, respectively). Also, I know a lot about finance, given that it is my job. What would you like to know?

As for your way of learning, I've noticed I learn much more easily if I read words in a context (book) or listen to them (music) than just plain rote memorization. Which I figured out way too late for it to be of any help in high school.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts