Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I just posted this into a blog but it is basically a document i've been writing about those who inspire me. I'd love for you guys to write about the people who inspire you guys ^^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish to speak of those of whom I hold great reverence for, those who have taught me and inspired me to be more than what I am. These men are good men... no they are great men, they are(or were) inspirers of change and a higher calling just by being who they are. The lessons they taught me and the people that they were will live on in who I am, I shall carry on the traditions of these great gentleman and strive to deserve to join them as an inspiration to others if life so permits. Thus concludes the prelude, so on that note, let us begin with the master of the verbal and visual word - Sidney Poitier

Sidney Poitier
I first chanced upon Sidney several years ago while rummaging through my mother's DVD collection looking for something to watch and in doing so I saw an old movie amongst the others, it was entitled "To Sir, With Love". As I watched it I saw for the first time an elegance of which I had never experienced before. His speech and manner were of the highest class, always polite and calm, always displaying a commanding intellect that demanded recognition from his peers and students in the movies. His mannerisms and elegance did not change one iota off the camera either, on the contrary, it appeared that they increased without the presence of a script, which was very much to my amazement. His acting skills are superb and his skills as a man are equally so. He taught me that there is more to respect than being intellegent or having a high status, but rather in the power of the spoken word(politeness and complexity) and in the kinesthetic word(body language, elegance). He showed me how to apply theoretical concepts into practical ones through the medium of sociability and elegance of mind, body and speech. See, anyone can be brilliant of mind, however the ability to charm or express ones intellectualism in such a way that people listen intently is a rare gift indeed. So to the master demagogue Sidney Poitier I say "Thank you, Mr Tibbs".

C.S. Lewis
One cannot look at elegace without incorperating eloquence, which is where this brilliant man comes to the fore. C.S. Lewis, the eloquent master of the written word. This brilliant man had been right under my nose for many years, alluding my attention until he reappeared a few months ago. Little did I realise that he was the writer of my favourite fiction tale of all time - The Chronicles of Narnia- which was vividly brilliant. He compressed eloquence into such a form that even children could learn the art that he had perfected and revel in it. However his brilliance was only noticed subconsciously until, perhaps by fate, his famous book "Mere Christianity" chanced upon me through a friend. From the first word to the last he had me captured in the world of that which is written. He made the spoken word seem a brutish comparison to his writing and vocabulary, of which he was not stingy in using. Yet while his words were complex and the issues he was dealing with were equally so, he seemed to cut through it so that even the simple could follow without any issue. Even more apparent than his eloquence was his rationality and moderate stance. My heart immediately connected to him when I began to read his words. He took problems that had plagued philosophers and theologians for centuries and rationalised them and expressed it in such a way that it made all feel quite the fool for not seeing it as easily as he did. For me at least, his rationality mixed with eloquence and kindness away from the life of the scribe made me wish with all my heart to emulate him. He brought me away from off balance actions, statements and thoughts and taught me instead to keep a balanced and calm mind that seeks rationality in all things, but not at the expense of the feelings of others. He taught me that elegance is not limited to the spoken word(of which I have yet to perfect), and that the written word can flow and encapsulate people in much the same way even without detectable emotion. He taught me a great deal of things about my religion and gave me the tools with which to let go of stereotypical or simple thoughts and dwell instead on the deeper aspects of everything and to not disregard someone or something based off of feelings alone. He taught me that of all the things we must question, the one we have to question the most is ourselves. To C.S Lewis, the man that set me free from my own mind, may you rest in peace.

Patch Adams
Patch Adams is a very recent addition to my hall of inspiration, however he is one of the most amazing of them all in that he appeals to compassion within his ambient intellegence. His intellegence appears to be natural in that he could get magnificent scores without studying, almost as though he was a born proffesional in that field(medicine). He was a man who had been through depression and committed himself to a mental institution where he met people who he cured and those who inspired him. He believed that all people need help and that all people can help. He believed that doctors should care and not just see people as a condition or by what they are, but by who they are. He was a person that healed through the power of laughter, joy and compassion, not merely by medicine. I feel very close to Patch because he reminds me of myself, especially in his quote "Let us fight one of the greatest diseases of all - Indifference." He took a dream and made it a reality and continues to forge ahead in his path of idealism, something of which I falter on. I wish to gain his initiate one day so that I may turn my idealistic theories into a proper realistic model of which I can apply to assist this world. He taught me that I don't have to be a tin-man to be intellegence, and that true intellegence is seen in compassionate application, not in emotionally void theory. Furthermore, he reminded me to not see the world as a mass but rather as a collection of individuals, each with their own problems of which I can help. Thus I shall follow in his footsteps and continue to help anyone and everyone that I can, creating ripples of happiness of which have no logical end. And, with any luck, I hope that those affected by this will in turn give love to others and help to heal the world of it's indifference and apathy. To Patch, the master of selfless compassion I leave you a quote - "Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves. ~James Matthew Barrie"

Sir John Monash
Several years ago I became highly interested in military history and as a result I read extensively on the topic, especially Australian military history. I found myself most fascinated and amazed by the daring and ingenuity of the Australian soldiers as well as their incredible endurance and sense of mateship which drew me in instantly. However for me it was World War One that captured my attention the most. It was a time in which Australia showed it's bravado for the first time on a world stage and it performed beautifully, becoming the talk of the world, feared by her enemies and respected and valued by her allies. However as I read deeper I heard of the amazing tactical genious who was behind the Australian victories. His name was John Monash. This man was born of jewish-german immigrants and was for all intents and purposes a prodigy. He learnt at a stellar rate, becoming one of the country's top minds before the age of thirty. He became a civil engineer and a colnel in the army before he was called up. However it was on the battlefields of the western front where he would be elevated to a position of which he could apply his brilliance, of which he did readily. He was promoted in 1917, just a short while prior to the german advance of 1917 of which, under his command, the Australians and a few other colonial powers and a British corps pushed back the advance and countered, practically winning the war single handedly. During his time in power he had overseen the implementation of tanks, and the still standing battlefield heierarchy in regards to them. In addition to this he revolutionised the way battles are fought by using tanks, planes, artillery and infantry all at the same time for the first time. He had great compassion for his troops and always found ways to appease their problems, even going as far as having hot meals sent out into the battlefield. His compassion and concern for the well-being of his troops was also a new thought, of which he expessed by saying "The true role of infantry was not to expend itself upon heroic physical effort, not to wither away under merciless machine-gun fire, not to impale itself on hostile bayonets, but...to advance under the maximum possible protection of the maximum possible array of mechanical resources...guns, machine-guns, tanks, mortars and aeroplanes."In fact, he was so brilliant that we can see just a fraction of it in his emmense honours and awards. He was the member of several orders, was the last man to be knighted on a battlefield, was regarded by Field Marshal Montgomery(ww2 brittish commander) as the best general on the western front and when he died, 300,000 people(one third of the population of Melbourne) lined the streets to watch and blinds were drawn all across the city as a mark of respect. Over 60,000 people attended his funeral service. After his death universities, roads and even a town in Israel was named after him. Sir John Monash taught me that no matter what the case, we must protect our fellow man in whatever way possible and that we must do everything we can to comfort and take care of them. He also taught me that this can be done without selling out to emotion and that we can still have this compassion while remaining unaffected, rational and balanced. To the master of modern warfare I say thank you for showing this world your brilliance.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Hi guys I just posted this into a blog but it is basically a document i've been writing about those who inspire me. I'd love for you guys to write about the people who inspire you guys ^^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish to speak of those of whom I hold great reverence for, those who have taught me and inspired me to be more than what I am. These men are good men... no they are great men, they are(or were) inspirers of change and a higher calling just by being who they are. The lessons they taught me and the people that they were will live on in who I am, I shall carry on the traditions of these great gentleman and strive to deserve to join them as an inspiration to others if life so permits. Thus concludes the prelude, so on that note, let us begin with the master of the verbal and visual word - Sidney Poitier

Sidney Poitier
I first chanced upon Sidney several years ago while rummaging through my mother's DVD collection looking for something to watch and in doing so I saw an old movie amongst the others, it was entitled "To Sir, With Love". As I watched it I saw for the first time an elegance of which I had never experienced before. His speech and manner were of the highest class, always polite and calm, always displaying a commanding intellect that demanded recognition from his peers and students in the movies. His mannerisms and elegance did not change one iota off the camera either, on the contrary, it appeared that they increased without the presence of a script, which was very much to my amazement. His acting skills are superb and his skills as a man are equally so. He taught me that there is more to respect than being intellegent or having a high status, but rather in the power of the spoken word(politeness and complexity) and in the kinesthetic word(body language, elegance). He showed me how to apply theoretical concepts into practical ones through the medium of sociability and elegance of mind, body and speech. See, anyone can be brilliant of mind, however the ability to charm or express ones intellectualism in such a way that people listen intently is a rare gift indeed. So to the master demagogue Sidney Poitier I say "Thank you, Mr Tibbs".
Yes. "To Sir, With Love"... Good movie...

- William Shakespeare.
- Ludwig Van Beethoven
- Sun Tzu.
- George Washington.
- Hercule Poirot (fictional, but none the less).
- Edgar Martinez.
- Cal Ripkin Jr.
- Amy Lee.
- John Barry (Naval Officer).

Varied? Oh yes...

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Lahiri Mahasaya - I like this guy because he practiced and taught others Kriya Yoga, even though he was an ordinary guy and married man. I don't know a lot about him, but when I first looked upon his picture, I felt a rare spiritually awakened moment. To me it was a confirmation that there's truth in his teachings and that he is a person of divinity. Lahiri Mahasaya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He preferred Kriya Yoga to spread naturally, rather than forming an organized religion. The practice of Kriya Yoga is an activity, rather than a dogma, which suits me.

That's it for now... not something I give much thought to!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Kathryn Bigelow - the first female director to win the Oscar. I've always wanted to be a film director, winning the Oscar was something that I thought I'd never achieve. but she did it, this strong woman gives me hope.

Ellen Degeneres - such a incredible woman with a beautiful soul. love how courageous she was when she decided to come out at the time when she was a budding television host.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Oscar Peterson - Probably the most gifted human who ever lived in my view

Margaret Thatcher - Didn't let unpopularity prevent her from doing what she knew to be right

Abraham Lincoln - Was prepared to risk losing half his country to do what he knew to be right

Janel Moloney - Because she is more beautiful than a summers day (sigh!)

Reactions: Vaan

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well, I'll be the oddball here. Everyone's mentioning better-known people, but the person who has the greatest impact on me has to be my older sister, @Monkey King . :proud:

Reactions: Zech

·
Registered
643 Posts
Sam Harris, Voltaire, Walt Whitman

I'm just waking up so I'm not gonna get into writing about them atm :z But they are Z best and not being savvy of them is an unforgivable fail as an INFJ

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I'll be the oddball here. Everyone's mentioning better-known people, but the person who has the greatest impact on me has to be my older sister, @Monkey King . :proud:
I knew I was forgetting to add someone to my list :p. Yes @Monkey King should be added to all lists from now on ^_^

Reactions: Llamarider

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I just checked out "Mere Christianity" from the library a few days ago and am excited to read it. I'm glad you posted about it! :]

·
Registered
175 Posts

Waris Dirie. She was born in Somalia and at age 5 had a female circumcision. Her parents sold her to a man for 5 camels at 13, and not wanting to live a life of enslavement, she ran away. She traveled through the desert barefoot for 9 days, which left her with scars and disfigured her feet. Not having a clear idea of where she was going, she luckily made it to Mogadishu and managed to locate relatives, one of which happened to be an ambassador to England. He offered her a job as a maid and when it was time for them to return to Somalia, she hid her passport and lied saying she lost it. She stayed in London as an illegal alien and received aid to get a job at a McDonald's. A fashion photographer noticed her and offered her a job as model, and she eventually worked for companies like L'Oreal, Revlon, and Chanel. Later she became a human's rights activist and worked to educate people about the dangers of female genital mutilation. She also founded an organization to help build schools in Somalia.

I find her to be a truly remarkable and captivating person. I can't believe she isn't more well-known, she's such an inspiring person.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I think you can take a little bit of inspiration from just about anyone, if you're willing to look at them.

I'm inspired by my biological father, who went against the grain and against the odds to do what he wanted and what he loves. He never sacrificed his love for music or his ideals as a human being. He gives me hope that I can pursue the career I want and still have a family.

I'm inspired by my uncle, who actually might also be an INFJ now that I think about it. He worked as a band teacher in a small town, where he encouraged his students to go to college, presented them with opportunities to travel, left food in the backroom out of his own pocket so that the poorer students could have breakfast. At home he is quiet, thoughtful, and sometimes even brooding. I've never met anyone as compassionate and supportive. An ordinary man who will be so fondly remembered by so many people, changed and improved so many lives.

Career wise, I'm inspired by Arjen Lucassen. I want to be Arjen Lucassen. I admire his ability to write, perform, and produce music. How he pushes the musicians he invites to perform on his albums, and gets so many people with so many different styles backgrounds and personalities to become passionate about his vision. I hope that some day I will be creating albums, pushing myself and those around me the limits of our potential as musicians and making something beautiful.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
The only person who's ever truly inspired me was a woman I dated once. At this time last year we'd have been dating for a couple weeks. She's such a vibrant and affectionate individual. When she broke things off, I started writing a cello sonata (cello is her favorite instrument). I don't think I ever intended to present it to her - I wanted to respect her decision - but it wasn't something I could ignore, either. After all, she inspired me, and that happens so rarely; who am I to ignore it?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Firstly nature :) Then Carl Jung,Sigmund Freud,William Shakespeare and Amy Lee

Reactions: Vexilla Regis

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
-Soren Kierkegaard
-Fyodor Dostoyevsky
-Emily Dickinson
-Vincent Van Gogh
-Paul Cezanne
-Josephine Wall (an amazing modern fantasy artist)
-I agree, C.S. Lewis

Edit: Also Rachel Weisz, especially about my body image issues since she is usually not underweight thin, but looks how I wish I could look.

·
Registered
477 Posts
- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
- Martin Luther King
- Richard Stallman
- Linus Torvalds
- John Perry Barlow ( EFF founder )
- Bouddha in some way
- Duke Zhou and King Wen (Founder of Chinese cultural root)
- LaoTzi
- Sun Tzu
- Norbert Wiener (Founder of cybernetic) , for both his achievement in science (without cybernetic no computer and digital thing now ) and his ethical and philosophical questionning about machine and man
- Mcluhan in some way (for his vision of digital age )
- White hat Hackers , free software and culture community (linux , wikipedia , firefox , jamendo ... ) . Political Activist (human right activist ) . Cause Lawyer (pro bon lawyer ) .
- anarchist
- the 60 ' s era
- The enlightenment era and the
revolutionary of this time.
- Vilfredo Pareto

·
Registered
381 Posts

Waris Dirie. She was born in Somalia and at age 5 had a female circumcision. Her parents sold her to a man for 5 camels at 13, and not wanting to live a life of enslavement, she ran away. She traveled through the desert barefoot for 9 days, which left her with scars and disfigured her feet. Not having a clear idea of where she was going, she luckily made it to Mogadishu and managed to locate relatives, one of which happened to be an ambassador to England. He offered her a job as a maid and when it was time for them to return to Somalia, she hid her passport and lied saying she lost it. She stayed in London as an illegal alien and received aid to get a job at a McDonald's. A fashion photographer noticed her and offered her a job as model, and she eventually worked for companies like L'Oreal, Revlon, and Chanel. Later she became a human's rights activist and worked to educate people about the dangers of female genital mutilation. She also founded an organization to help build schools in Somalia.

I find her to be a truly remarkable and captivating person. I can't believe she isn't more well-known, she's such an inspiring person.
I became familiar with her through the movie Desert Flower, which I presume you've seen. It was a great movie...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts