Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
i disagree completely. ive had many partners, but ive let each of them know what type of relationship it is and where i stand. ive never 'cheated' on anybody - which is doing something behind their back.

if we are exclusive, we are... if we aint, we aint.

·
Beer Guardian
PerC Host, ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE
14,952 Posts
Well, I'm an ENTP and I got cheated on by my ISTJ ex wife after 15 years of marriage (20 years together) so I think it really has very little to do with type. I think it has more to do with circumstances.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well, I'm an ENTP and I got cheated on by my ISTJ ex wife after 15 years of marriage (20 years together) so I think it really has very little to do with type. I think it has more to do with circumstances.
Well it definitely does come down to the individual and their morals/values as well as their level of self control. You were cheated on by what is listed as the least likely type istj and I know a esfp the most likely to cheat type whom she has been faithfully married over 30 years.

·
Beer Guardian
PerC Host, ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE
14,952 Posts
Well it definitely does come down to the individual and their morals/values as well as their level of self control. You were cheated on by what is listed as the least likely type istj and I know a esfp the most likely to cheat type whom she has been faithfully married over 30 years.
Long story short: I was with her for 20 years and married to her for 15. We drifted apart. Definitely issues on both sides. My long-term goals were not as well-defined as hers. She was ambitious and worked multiple jobs while I was content to work one full-time job with benefits. I did not help out around the house as much as I could have. She was a bit of a neat freak with some OCD tendencies. I was more of a slob. She brought her work with her on vacations. I wanted a partner who spent more time with me. She was struggling with her main job and had an opportunity to cheat while on one of her side jobs out of town. Apparently, she gave up on the marriage 6 months before I even knew something was wrong. She was working up the courage to tell me, but then I caught her out on Valentine's Day 2015.

·
Registered
Why do you want to know my vehicle details.
4,926 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I'd say P types more than J types, strictly because there's correlation between J/P and Conscientiousness.
Yeah, probably the most logical answer so far that's based on science.

Although a statistically empirical approach isn't that bad either.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It could easily be either.

Probably most likely to cheat in terms of a one-night stand would be an ESTP or another high Se type. Just my guess. They’re adrenaline junkies and extremely physically driven.

Probably most likely to cheat in terms of an affair would be an emotionally immature ENFP. They’re always looking for new experiences and better possibilities.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
It could easily be either.

Probably most likely to cheat in terms of a one-night stand would be an ESTP or another high Se type. Just my guess. They’re adrenaline junkies and extremely physically driven.

Probably most likely to cheat in terms of an affair would be an emotionally immature ENFP. They’re always looking for new experiences and better possibilities.
Problem is they may not find a better possibility

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I'd say P types more than J types, strictly because there's correlation between J/P and Conscientiousness.
I agree p types I think will cheat more likely than j types are they tend to not like to make a plan or commitment and stick to it.

·
Registered
INFJ less than 1%
6,996 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
You dont have to cheat to be called a slut ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Someone implied that I'm a slut on reddit the other day. :\ The topic wasn't even anything close to sex, so he said it just to insult me. >:|

But we obviously had pretty big differences in opinion about the topic, so maybe that's why he called me a slut and I called him a wannabe criminal. lol

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
It’s unrelated to type- base on people I know irl and reading posts on perC - perceivers are more likely to cheat due to temptations and then regret it - j- type bc they’re unsatisfied with the attention or efforts that their partner puts into their relationships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cthulhu And Coffee

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
I'm an ISFP, and will admit that I have cheated once which could be purely anecdotal. But I'm gonna go into what my thought process was (or lack thereof) so people can decide for themselves whether it was Se-related or not.

I had just officially started dating a guy I had been after for 2 years. He'd been afraid of commitment but had finally agreed to give it a try. However at that time, I had also been hanging out with another guy in a more casual way, having thought that my then-boyfriend wasn't gonna come around up until that point. For some reason it hadn't fully clicked in my brain yet that I was officially dating someone, I guess because it was such a spontaneous thing of "Ok, so let's go out," which I wasn't used to.

So, soon after that, the guy I had a casual thing with had asked if he could come over. And all I can remember is that my brain was centered on fooling around with him per our routine. I agreed, not even thinking about my boyfriend (I had legitimately forgotten we were actually dating.) And it wasn't until after we finished fooling around that I realized I had just cheated. Of course, I told my boyfriend very soon after that. He didn't speak to me for 3 months after. But he gave me another chance, and I never cheated again. On anyone.

To this day I still don't fully know what to make of that. You could call it an Se thing but at the same time I usually don't just forget my obligations like that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm an ISFP, and will admit that I have cheated once which could be purely anecdotal. But I'm gonna go into what my thought process was (or lack thereof) so people can decide for themselves whether it was Se-related or not.

I had just officially started dating a guy I had been after for 2 years. He'd been afraid of commitment but had finally agreed to give it a try. However at that time, I had also been hanging out with another guy in a more casual way, having thought that my then-boyfriend wasn't gonna come around up until that point. For some reason it hadn't fully clicked in my brain yet that I was officially dating someone, I guess because it was such a spontaneous thing of "Ok, so let's go out," which I wasn't used to.

So, soon after that, the guy I had a casual thing with had asked if he could come over. And all I can remember is that my brain was centered on fooling around with him per our routine. I agreed, not even thinking about my boyfriend (I had legitimately forgotten we were actually dating.) And it wasn't until after we finished fooling around that I realized I had just cheated. Of course, I told my boyfriend very soon after that. He didn't speak to me for 3 months after. But he gave me another chance, and I never cheated again. On anyone.

To this day I still don't fully know what to make of that. You could call it an Se thing but at the same time I usually don't just forget my obligations like that.
Oh wow that must have been a hell of a realization afterwards.

I would think it's more a consequence of an undeveloped Ni than Se maybe, or of Se overriding Ni altogether for a while, with Ni being all about processing the data, putting it together, and keeping the big picture view in mind. Like you'd been given too little sensory input relating to the new relationship so Ni didn't do its job of acknowledging and integrating it into its big picture view of your life. Not only that but it's also supposed to visualize future outcomes. As far as I understand it, I think it's basically the function that sort of keeps a web of information in the background of your mind, constantly expanding it through new input and linking everything together.

Anyway, I think some types might be more likely to cheat because it's easier for them to go through with it--like some extroverts might have an easier time picking someone up at the bar for a hookup--but I don't think that correlates to which types are most tempted by cheating necessarily.

Reactions: Cthulhu And Coffee
21 - 40 of 61 Posts