Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
75 Posts
I'm with you. My Mom is my best friend. I say, " is " because she is still very much with me and she's been gone 10 years. When I have a serious question or decision to make I think very hard what she would say. I then go on my gut instinct because that's her. First I check with my second best friend, just to make sure Mom was right.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My Aunt

I guess If I had to choose it would be my aunt. She lives 1500 miles away but she saved my life. In fact I bought her a card today to tell her that if it wasn't for her encouragement, direction, and support I would not be doing the great things I am doing today. My parents are also gone.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I’m the oldest of five siblings, all with children who have children. I often feel like the head of a clan. I hate to think what it would be like without them at this stage in my life.

Friends come and go. I think family wins hands down.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My mom and I kind of fought like cats and dogs. We were so different. She was a conformist and I wasn't. She and I were opposites in a lot of ways and it made for some very difficult times. She didn't have a good sense of boundaries, either and this caused friction. She is dead now, however, and I miss her so.

My husband is my best friend, almost forgot him, I take him for granted, it's awful, but we are close as spouses can be.

I have a friend from middle school and we are still friends. Her mother was my surrogate mother growing up but she, too, is gone.

My husband is the only one I know that still has both parents alive. Not alive and well, but alive, nonetheless.

My mother used to say "you cannot make someone else's your own". Truer words were never spoken, IMO.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Why is it that in our culture we try to quantify everything?

I believe there is not a best friend, they each give me diferent things at diferent times.

·
Registered
266 Posts

I believe there is not a best friend, they each give me diferent things at diferent times.
The human condition....we are competitive by nature.

·
Registered
74 Posts

I think perhaps "best friend" is an unfortunate choice of words -- it implies comparing your friends and making a judgement about who is "best".

To me a best friend is someone who in times of crisis, you naturally turn to for comfort, to confide in, to share your true self with, who won't judge you, who 'gets' you, etc. If your friends are all equally able to do that, wow, wonderful! Most of us I'd say, have one person, if any, who fits that description, or comes closest to it.

For me it was my Mom. I lost her when I was 14, but I know I could've told her anything and she would've loved me no matter what.

After that, I grew closest to one of my sisters. I have three sisters, but she and I have a special relationship. When I told her I was gay it didn't affect her opinion of me except to be more concerned for me (it was the early years of the AIDS epidemic).

Right now it's my partner. He's really my only true friend now; I've let most of my friendships wither on the vine. I decided most of them were just big flakes and not worth the time/effort to keep in touch with.

Friends come and go. I think family wins hands down.
Given how many here consider a family member to be their best friend, I'd say you're correct.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Probably a girlfriend of mine in MN - who now has cancer and probably won't live another year. My dad is gone, am not close to my mom. Am close enough to brothers and definitely tight with my kids, so that's cool. Have never had a partner who treated me well enough to be considered a best friend. That is the hardest thing about growing old, losing loved people. Statistically, it just happens....the worst shock was losing my dad to a drunk driver when I was 18.

·
Registered
83 Posts

Yes. Like when you came over to help me with the divorce and moving home. I never knew I needed the help, yet it was the best thing that happened to me last year. I will never forget...

·
Super Moderator
11,651 Posts
My daughters. My oldest daughter. She is the only person who gets me. She is the only person I know that will even try to understand and not shut me down or out during that process. It is amazing, I can talk to her about anything...I mean anything! Then my youngest daughter...she is my voice of reason. I wonder...when did she become so wise. This one is always there when I need her. I try not to lay much in her hands; she is a single mom and has her own struggles. Both of my daughters are wonderful, kind, loving women. I'd lay down and die for them. Yep, family is the best friend...

Reactions: dreamer706

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I don't understand why some posters have to make a perfectly simple question into an issue.
To me a best friend or just a friend is someone I trust. Nowadays I only rust my dad.
Centuries ago I had a girlfriend in Singapore whom I trusted and before that I would use the term friend more loosely so I've had best friends in my childhood.

·
Premium Member
15,511 Posts
Must be ranked in order of preference-

1st best friend: husband
2nd best friend: she is devoted
3rd best friend: she is fun

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I've been going back in time sort of, digging up old Boomer threads here & it's been interesting. People have come & gone, so many names I don't remember now. Joined awhile & left maybe. Can't believe I've been here since '09 already. Anyway, the OP's question made me wonder if "best friends" get replaced with a spouse or kids or we just outgrow the need. Or we don't. Maybe it's a guy thing to have fewer friends at middle age. If so I wonder if that's socialization or what. My mom & sister had lots of friends, my dad & brother didn't. I had best friends all my life & just drifted away from that around 36. Never thought about it until now.

·
Spam-I-am
13,760 Posts
My mother was my best friend. She is no more. She died about 8 years ago. I lost the best companion I ever had. Who is your best friend?
mine as well, she battled cancer for 16 years before she made her final exit and joined the choir invisible.it will be 9 years this Christmas which ironically was her birthday as well. I think she was the only person that ever understood and truly accepted me but now to answer your question, I have 4 best friends that I have had ranging from 10-50 years. we INTJ's only have either acquaintances or best friends and being a INTJ I even analyzed what we had in common that made our friendship so endearing ....results- we were raised in dysfunctional [you can't spell dysfunctional without fun, oh the irony] households by one parent, we are close in height and weight and we have been there through good times as well as bad only to embrace each other and never judge. I have never argued with them [ha go figure] they are more like brothers then friends

·
Registered
81 Posts
It was my daughter, but life so now I would more so say my friend is a woman who has my back, and I hers. It has been like this since my marriage abruptly ended in 2008. She has literally pawned jewelry to get me through a rough patch, and I paid back every penny. She is brilliant. We met in a forum on the net.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My mother was my best friend when she was still alive. Now, me and my sister spend so much time together since she lost her husband last year. We consider each other bestfriends, although we always have misunderstandings before.

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,504 Posts
I'm not sure which of my friends is my best friend but I have several close friends. We make each other happy. It is a pleasure to have them in my world. We've been through a lot together and we didn't give up. Life is beautiful.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts