Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And why?

Well, mine is Nikola Tesla as an electrical engineer student.He was way ahead of his time and with his numerous patents and systems brought the world to a whole new level.Despite the fact that scientists like edison,marconi and others, became more popular while expanding his original work.

Reactions: jeffbobs

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
And why?

Well, mine is Nikola Tesla as an electrical engineer student.He was way ahead of his time and with his numerous patents and systems brought the world to a whole new level.Despite the fact that scientists like edison,marconi and others, became more popular while expanding his original work.
it's gotta be tesla for me too.

He was a genius.

·
Registered
ENTP
821 Posts
Mine is Newton. He (co)invented calculus, the theory of forces, gravity, a type of reflecting telescope, tracked down criminals as warden of the mint, did industrial engineering to improve mint processes, and explained light, all while being a master alchemist (which was sort of like being a gamer with furnaces).

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reactions: Juan M

·
Registered
384 Posts
I think Feynman would have to be my favourite. The man was incredibly versatile, funny and interesting. I've avidly watched what interviews I could find with him on youtube and am currently looking to get my hands on some of his books. He was also one of the most graceful brilliant scientists I know of. He never flinched from admitting he was wrong. He didn't care about what people thought of his intelligence, in fact he took pleasure in being proved wrong because then he got to learn more!

·
Registered
67 Posts
This is hard. Possibly Richard Feynman. Maybe J. Robert Oppenheimer. Maybe even Gauss. I'm also a Darwin fanboy. But I think my vote goes to William Thomson AKA Lord Kelvin. He did some pretty impressive stuff, most notable being discovering absolute zero.

Edit: And while he can't claim the spot as my favorite scientist I've always been a huge fan of Newton as well, one of the most important reasons of which is that we share our birthday.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am another one in the Tesla corner.

·
Registered
369 Posts
This is hard. Possibly Richard Feynman. Maybe J. Robert Oppenheimer. Maybe even Gauss. I'm also a Darwin fanboy. But I think my vote goes to William Thomson AKA Lord Kelvin. He did some pretty impressive stuff, most notable being discovering absolute zero.

Edit: And while he can't claim the spot as my favorite scientist I've always been a huge fan of Newton as well, one of the most important reasons of which is that we share our birthday.
Wait... another Christmas birthday? Unite! We should start a club.

As to my favorite scientist, I really have no idea. I mean... all the people listed here were geniuses. I really couldn't begin to rate them. For now though I'll go with Hawking just because I read A Brief(er) History of Time and it was very informative, understandable, and entertaining as well.

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
Living? That's a tough one... probably Robert Sapolsky, just because he's such an engaging lecturer.

Recently dead? I'd go with Joshua Lederberg, one of the people who built up the field of microbiology, ludicrously smart guy whom I was lucky to meet before he died.

Of all time? Newton from Western Europe. But going back a little farther, I'd say it's a tie between Democritus and Averroes.

I have some Feynman books I need to read. The Strange Theory of Light and Matter and a few others. I've seen some of his lectures and they seem good.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Feynman is a master at explaining incredibly difficult things. I taught myself quantum physics and vector algebra when I was 13 by reading QED.

Gauss is my second. I don't even know how he managed to dabble in so many fields at once, but however he did it, we now owe much of today's science to his work.

Tesla, Darwin, and Newton are somewhere up there as well.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts