Personality Cafe banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ... if you were taking an MBTI questionnaire/test and there was a section in which you were supposed to choose one word over another, and you got this one:

Who or what

What would you do, and why?

(note: this comes from a real life situation and a discussion about it last night)

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. Hey all, I'm loving these answers, keep 'em coming!

2. @OMG WTF BRO, I have an unholy love of that routine. The last time I got to see it was with an adorable 90-year-old guy in an assisted living facility who liked watching funny videos on youtube with me. He also introduced me to Victor Borge, different of course, but oh wow we laughed our asses off at that also (our favorite VB clip below the spoiler):

3. Not derailing my own thread too much! Back to the OP question!

·
Registered
924 Posts
This comes up a lot in my life.

"Blah blah blah, oh, and there's a guy named Brian who trains dogs, and his wife Allyssa who helps him run his business, oh and they brought their son Jared--" Stop! I always say. Tell me what happened, not who was involved. I don't even know these people and I certainly wouldn't care.

Unless I do know them, and in that case I still want to know what happened more than who was involved (and who is a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend's cousin to those involved).

·
Wielding the mafia banhammer
1,514 Posts
What, because a) I prefer things and ideas to people and b) it's what I said to myself when I read the question.

Although @OMG WTF BRO makes a strong case for Who with Abbott and Costello.:laughing:

Reactions: Aquarian

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Who. It's so much more personal when you add in an actual person, not just like "oh, a person just waved at you."
Har har very interesting. But who? Is it someone I know? Because if it is I'd like to know who it is. Then I can wave back. Maybe even hang out together. Or if it's a stranger I'd want to know who's that weird. Of course it's so much easier to just say "a person", but there are so many people in this world!

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Personally, I think that "what" is a much more flexible and encompassing question-word than "who." What circumstances made something happen (a rephrase of why)? whereas with who you're really only asking about a part of the whole.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Personally, I think that "what" is a much more flexible and encompassing question-word than "who." What circumstances made something happen (a rephrase of why)? whereas with who you're really only asking about a part of the whole.
Yes, there are quite more things or properties and relations of things (=whats) than persons around the world...:tongue:

·
Registered
297 Posts
I didn't even know there was a competition! 'What' allows an analysis on not only things (which can be people as well), but it can deal with concepts and abstracts. It can satisfy anyone's questioning.

Unless you are so much of a people's person you feel like 'what' is unnecessarily broad and only care to deal in 'who'. I could personally never understand that type, though.

·
1,514 Posts
@Aquarian

Out of curiosity, was there one about Why and How?

I'm guessing "who or what" was supposed to be about T vs. F preferences. Might "why vs. how" distinguish perceiving doms from judgers?

I'm more of a Why myself.

/or I could be completely off base. I'm just suddenly wondering.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Who. It's so much more personal when you add in an actual person, not just like "oh, a person just waved at you."
Har har very interesting. But who? Is it someone I know? Because if it is I'd like to know who it is. Then I can wave back. Maybe even hang out together. Or if it's a stranger I'd want to know who's that weird. Of course it's so much easier to just say "a person", but there are so many people in this world!
I have this habit of always saying "this friend" or "this person I know" in my stories even when I'm referring to someone we both know or someone my listener should know from my stories by now. I just can't get myself to get more specific and personal than that, lol. I always consider who it is to be the least relevant information even when it turns out to be pretty much the most relevant. :/

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@Aquarian

Out of curiosity, was there one about Why and How?

I'm guessing "who or what" was supposed to be about T vs. F preferences. Might "why vs. how" distinguish perceiving doms from judgers?

I'm more of a Why myself.

/or I could be completely off base. I'm just suddenly wondering.
You're not off base!

I have no idea what who vs what was about. At some point I'll post the specifics of why I put up this thread, but suffice it to say I have no clue what that question means. The person who took the test says she's reasonably certain it didn't have why versus how (it was years ago but she said she'd have remembered that one).

It's an interesting question. You say you're more of a why; do you map why to being Ni-dom (perceiving dom)?

·
1,514 Posts
It's an interesting question. You say you're more of a why; do you map why to being Ni-dom (perceiving dom)?
That's what I'm thinking, yes. Always looking for the why of a situation, so if I'm solving a problem we can dig down to the root of it; diagnose the disease, not just treat the symptoms. Pretty sure that's a Ni thing.

Although now that I think of it, my ESTP brother was always more of a "how" when he was young, so... hmm.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts