Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, Everyone, this is my first thread starter! I'm excited. I hope it is not a boring question. I have been wanting to do one, but feel a little timid about doing so. I chose to start with something simple to test the waters. So, please come on and give me a boost by posting an answer to:"Who or what is/are your Protector(s)?" ( I thought, since INFJ's are protectors, who/what are ours?)

My protectors are laughter & learning. They keep me going!

·
Registered
801 Posts
I'm sure some will say God, close friends, a significant other, or perhaps keeping our own distance in order to protect ourselves. By nature we don't just "let people in". Beyond that, my own way of protecting myself is to not expect too much. Whether it be from others or from circumstance, if I don't expect a lot I am less likely to be disappointed or hurt. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a pessimist...I just accept the fact things will be as they are meant to be, and I'm happy with that! The possibilities are endless!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hey, Everyone, this is my first thread starter! I'm excited. I hope it is not a boring question. I have been wanting to do one, but feel a little timid about doing so. I chose to start with something simple to test the waters. So, please come on and give me a boost by posting an answer to:"Who or what is/are your Protector(s)?" ( I thought, since INFJ's are protectors, who/what are ours?)

My protectors are laughter & learning. They keep me going!
That's great! I love learning too. I'm especially happy when I'm learning new things!

As for my protector, I suppose it's "God." But on my part I do what I can and plan to make sure that things go well for me, so you could also say I am my own protector. Since INFJs are protectors, we have to become strong for the people we want to protect; that's probably why my protectors are pretty abstract.

Reactions: Dalien

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I will rationalize situations and thereby keep myself protected from harm

I strive to need no protector but myself

After allowing people to control me and take advantage of who I am for many years, I have adapted to isolation and can subsist entirely on my own

I do enjoy the time I spent with my friends and such, but I know that in the long run, our paths will stray and we will continue our lives on our own. And if not, well, they will die someday. In the end, separation is unavoidable. Therefore, since it is an ultimatum, rationality tells me not to worry after they're gone, but to treasure the time you spend together

Long post, but I hope it answered your question

[/tangent]

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
My own self and the things I do. I have made recovering from bad things an art form. Haha!

I have been through a lot so I always tell myself "Ok, I have been through worse, this is just a bump in the road. Time to metaphorically pick up my stuff and move on. Gotta keep going, gotta keep going can't let myself become stagnant. Over obsessing things and letting them own me does not get me anywhere. Gotta keep pushing and keep my head up. In a race one does not win by standing still."

The process is helped by writing, drawing listening to music, driving at night around town with windows down when the roads are empty. Writing or drawing at night in the dark helps a lot, I find it soothing. I have a few people I am able to go but I always find it most beneficial to just crawl under my INFJ rock and lick my wounds.

Reactions: Dalien

·
Registered
264 Posts
My Protectors are : Understanding Patterns and Seeking Knowledge

Understanding Patterns has me watching for where that "thought, action, belief, mindset" will lead, if it continues. (I can make better decisions for myself and those around me.)

Seeking knowledge has me tolerant to mistakes, and the silly things myself and others do sometimes. (There is a lesson in it all that leads to wiser decisions later.)

Combining those two leads to a peaceful state within me, and about life in general. (The only times that I seem to have issues is when I forget these two personal truths of mine.)

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want to thank you all for answering. I hope no one minds that I sound a bit like a nurturer in my response to each of you. After all, I am an INFJ & this is what I think we do best naturally. :wink: Please don't be offended. I mean no ill towards anyone. My responses are only my opinions & one may not agree, nor has to. I am just being me. Thanks again! :happy:

I'm sure some will say God, close friends, a significant other, or perhaps keeping our own distance in order to protect ourselves. By nature we don't just "let people in". Beyond that, my own way of protecting myself is to not expect too much. Whether it be from others or from circumstance, if I don't expect a lot I am less likely to be disappointed or hurt. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a pessimist...I just accept the fact things will be as they are meant to be, and I'm happy with that! The possibilities are endless!
I like your post very much. About not expecting too much, I don't do that with other people. But, I use to expect more out of myself. In the past I have been very hard on myself. To a much slighter extent, I still am. I have learned through the years to accept things as they are. I help what I can and let go of the rest.

That's great! I love learning too. I'm especially happy when I'm learning new things!

As for my protector, I suppose it's "God." But on my part I do what I can and plan to make sure that things go well for me, so you could also say I am my own protector. Since INFJs are protectors, we have to become strong for the people we want to protect; that's probably why my protectors are pretty abstract.

After allowing people to control me and take advantage of who I am for many years, I have adapted to isolation and can subsist entirely on my own

I do enjoy the time I spent with my friends and such, but I know that in the long run, our paths will stray and we will continue our lives on our own. And if not, well, they will die someday. In the end, separation is unavoidable. Therefore, since it is an ultimatum, rationality tells me not to worry after they're gone, but to treasure the time you spend together

[/tangent]
All my life from childhood on, I have had people that were very close to me come & go. Some have hurt me badly, some have not. Yes, when a close friend moves on or I move on, it does it hurt. But, I can honestly say that I have no regrets in my life. I have done what I have done. I have learned from my mistakes & from what I have done well. Yes, cherish the good times & bad. Sounds strange doesn't it to cherish the bad? An ultimatum? Did you place that thought there? I love to love. I sincerely enjoy having friends on many different levels, whether they stay or go. Aren't you lonely with just your self? I always have myself, yet I do not like lonely one bit. Therefore, I give freely & take it as it goes.

Long post?...Naw, mine is. lol

My own self and the things I do. I have made recovering from bad things an art form. Haha!

I have been through a lot so I always tell myself "Ok, I have been through worse, this is just a bump in the road. Time to metaphorically pick up my stuff and move on. Gotta keep going, gotta keep going can't let myself become stagnant. Over obsessing things and letting them own me does not get me anywhere. Gotta keep pushing and keep my head up. In a race one does not win by standing still."

The process is helped by writing, drawing listening to music, driving at night around town with windows down when the roads are empty. Writing or drawing at night in the dark helps a lot, I find it soothing. I have a few people I am able to go but I always find it most beneficial to just crawl under my INFJ rock and lick my wounds.
I hear ya! I have done the same...made recovering from bad things an art. Some were my own doing & some were not. I whole heartedly agree: I just keep going learning & laughing as I go. This keeps me sane... or so I think!

My Protectors are : Understanding Patterns and Seeking Knowledge

Understanding Patterns has me watching for where that "thought, action, belief, mindset" will lead, if it continues. (I can make better decisions for myself and those around me.)

Seeking knowledge has me tolerant to mistakes, and the silly things myself and others do sometimes. (There is a lesson in it all that leads to wiser decisions later.)

Combining those two leads to a peaceful state within me, and about life in general. (The only times that I seem to have issues is when I forget these two personal truths of mine.)
What an interesting way to put it...understanding patterns. I like that analytical thought, along with knowledge, to reach peace, which to me leans towards a spiritual abstract feeling/thought/emotion.

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Vizier, I apologize. I had you in my last message yet managed to miss responding to your post. Yes, I love to learn. I am most happy when I can put my brain somewhere! LOL Ahhhh...but, I believe if you add laughter to that learning then one will be closer to peace (an abstract thought/feeling/emotion), so therefore; strength to protect people will be that much easier& sweeter. A balance between the two is what I have learned through my life. I can be very serious when I need to, as with laughter. Both knowledge & laughter relieves stress for me. Then I can deal better with life.

I went to college 14 yrs. out of highschool. It has been 14 yrs. since I graduated. If only they would have paid me to stay, I would still be there! :wink:

·
Registered
802 Posts
This might sound strange, but happy memories are really powerful for me. When I'm feeling low, I pull out a box where I keep all the notes friends have written me, all the birthday cards I've been sent, favorite pictures, and other memorabilia. I reflect on those good times until I start to feel better. For those Harry Potter fans out there, it's kind of like casting a patronus. :tongue:

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This might sound strange, but happy memories are really powerful for me. When I'm feeling low, I pull out a box where I keep all the notes friends have written me, all the birthday cards I've been sent, favorite pictures, and other memorabilia. I reflect on those good times until I start to feel better. For those Harry Potter fans out there, it's kind of like casting a patronus. :tongue:
Not strange at all! A happy place is the same as laughter in my book, which is a wonderful! :wink:

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

God is my protector and guide.
Vizier, planning is an important key to me, as well. But guess what, not everything I planned went the way I thought it would. When I came to a place where my plans were waylaid, I went around what caused this to happen...readjusted, so to speak. Yet, I always stay true to myself. I still plan. I think planning keeps one on a more even keel than not planning. :happy:

Vizier & INFJGirlie,

God...a deep faith in love, compassion, empathy, understanding, harmony... (So many words to choose from, I think the jist of it is there!) Faith comes from within, does it not?

Reactions: The Vizier

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
All my life from childhood on, I have had people that were very close to me come & go. Some have hurt me badly, some have not. Yes, when a close friend moves on or I move on, it does it hurt. But, I can honestly say that I have no regrets in my life. I have done what I have done. I have learned from my mistakes & from what I have done well. Yes, cherish the good times & bad. Sounds strange doesn't it to cherish the bad? An ultimatum? Did you place that thought there? I love to love. I sincerely enjoy having friends on many different levels, whether they stay or go. Aren't you lonely with just your self? I always have myself, yet I do not like lonely one bit. Therefore, I give freely & take it as it goes.

Long post?...Naw, mine is. lol
When I am alone is when I get the time to build a storyline I'm hoping to turn into a cartoon

So basically I retreat to my imagination

Escapism is fun

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I am alone is when I get the time to build a storyline I'm hoping to turn into a cartoon

So basically I retreat to my imagination

Escapism is fun
I see...escaping to create. Looking forward to seeing your cartoon. :happy:

·
Banned
14 Posts

[/tangent]

I agree with you I protect myself, and that we should cherish our friends, loved ones whoever they may be now and live life to the best cause we'll all end up six feet under.

·
Registered
733 Posts
If anyone is without a protector, I am for hire. I have years of experience as a guard dog, keep my wits about me, and come highly recommended. :happy:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm reminiscing a prayer I learned as a child...

"O God, guide me, protect me, make of me a shining lamp and a brilliant star. Thou art the Mighty and the Powerful." - ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

1 - 20 of 36 Posts