Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly: Thank you for this, @Nissa Nissa.

1. How would an author describe you in a book? Write the paragraph that would introduce you in a novel.

Skip, because I could go about explaining how an author could introduce me in a novel, but the way that I'm perceived seems to depend on the person perceiving me, and kind of person I am is rather flexible.

2. Think over the past day or week and make a mental list (you can also write it here) of ways other people have annoyed, angered, or otherwise bothered you - any situation where people have done one thing, while you wished they would have done another. Look at each of these instances and answer (you can make a list or make note of general patterns - an example is good):
a. How would I characterize the trait that bothered me?
b. Why did it bother me?
c. How did I react?
d. How do I wish I would have reacted?
e. If there was a discrepancy between c. and d., why did it come up?

Skip, because I sat here for a couple hours trying to think of something, but my awful tendency of acknowledging my anger as not worth expressing, then filing it away prevented me from coming up with anything.

3. What holds you back in life? This can be an internal or external force. If that thing were gone, what would be different? What would you do?

Frankly, what holds me back in life is my tendency to disregard almost anything that prevents me from being as adaptable as possible.
Example:
- My anger might prevent me from forging new connections, seeing the entire situation, and waste my time? Can't have that.
- Sticking to one viewpoint might make me feel rigid and unaccepting to other viewpoints? Can't have that.

4. Your deepest secret has just been revealed to the person or people from whom you most wished to keep it. How do you feel? How do you react? What are the results on your life?

I can't say that I would feel embarrassed, ashamed, or anything regarding it, really.
I might react by acknowledging that they now know the truth, and discussing it with them if they wish to talk about it.
I can't really say that it would have any specific impact on my life. I don't tend to keep major secrets, unless they're something that someone else told me in confidence.

5. You are offered one of three gifts: a bottle filled with water from the Fountain of Life, a crown which will give you peaceful dominion over the world's people for your entire (full) lifetime, and a ring which will unite you with your true love and ensure a happy, passionate marriage. Which do you choose and why? What are your hesitations and motivations?

I would have to say a bottle filled with water from the Fountain of Life, because the prospect of immortality is something that I would love to experience. Of course it would be sad to watch the people I care about die, and outlive all of them, but I could witness events unfold that I would not have been able to live long enough to experience without the water. I wouldn't choose the crown, because that kind of power isn't something I want, even if peace comes with it. I also wouldn't choose the ring because I don't know that I believe the idea of a 'true love' exists, per say, and if the ring simply united us/ensured a happy, passionate marriage, it wouldn't feel like I deserved it.

6. You are offered one of three houses. The first is located in a big city and has historic and artistic value: it was designed by a great architect and was owned by interesting people in the past. Owning this house is very prestigious and guarantees you social status and a circle of friends, but it also comes with responsibility - you must keep the house up to code, manage the household, and give parties and events. The second house you may design using your imagination - literally your dream house - it is located in a very secluded location and no one is allowed to visit this house except you and your immediate family. The third house is very nice, but has no particular aesthetic appeal - a McMansion in short. It is in an extremely convenient location and is very secure. It is impossible for thieves to break in and it has no danger of natural disasters. You are guaranteed to be able to sell the house for double the price in twenty years. Which do you choose and why? What are your hesitations and motivations?

First house: No thank you. I respect its historic value, but I'm not a fan of the responsibilities that come with it, and I'd much rather be pursuing the future than preserving the past.
Second house: Tempting, but no once again.
Third house: Yes.

I would choose the third house not because of the security, nor of its protection from natural disasters, nor of the fact that the price could be doubled by selling it in twenty years, but because with it comes less restrictions.

7. You are offered one of three doors. The first opens to a world that is dangerous and demands mental or physical skill to navigate through, but also has great rewards to be gained: think of the worlds portrayed on the shows Game of Thrones or Supernatural. The second opens to a world that is full of wonders, magic, and knowledge, which can be learned or experienced, but there is little solid resting ground - think of the worlds portrayed in the shows Doctor Who or in the multi-media phenomenon A Hitchkiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The third opens to a world where you may experience a life of peaceful, uneventful poverty - think of the hobbits in the series Lord of the Rings or most of the animals living in Narnia. Which do you choose and why? What are your hesitations and motivations?

I would choose the second door, because of the fact tat there are wonders, magic, and knowledge to be gained/experienced. The fact that there is little resting ground doesn't necessarily bother me.

8. What do you wish people understood about you? Talk about a time you were misunderstood.

Frankly, I wish that people understood my adaptability more. More often that not times in which I'm misunderstood are when people expect me to take a side on issues. Especially when it's a subjective vs subjective argument, I don't find that there's a point to me choosing one over the other. In the sense that I'm referring to between two people arguing, and they ask "Who do you think is right?" I say something like "Well, I see both of your points, but neither of you are right, but neither of you are wrong either. There's just not one right answer here". The misunderstanding then stems here, because both act as though I've insulted them by not taking their side, when really all I've done is remain neutral, which I think is more fair.

9. What do you hope people won't notice about you? What are you uncomfortable being teased about?

I can't say there's anything I hope people won't notice about me. Likewise, I'm not uncomfortable about being teased about anything.

10. What's worse - to be seen as caring more than you do or less than you do? Why? Do you think you come across one way or the other? Do you typically pretend to care more or to care less?

Neither are inherently worse, in my opinion, because both stem from the way someone sees you, which could or more likely not be correct. Generally, though: If someone sees you as being more caring than you are, it's typically seen in a better light, unless in that instance to be seen as more caring could create awkwardness. Alternatively: If someone sees you as caring less than you do, it's typically seen with a more negative connotation, and follows the assumption that someone doesn't care if they don't 'seem' like they don't. I think more often than not I come across as caring less than I do, because my neutrality is often seen negatively, and people take it personally that I don't bend to anyone's perspective. I don't pretend to do either; I care, I don't care. I don't rely on what 'seems' to be when determining if other people care.

11. Think about a time that someone else tried to control your actions - to tell you what to do, to manipulate you, or influence you. How did you feel and how did you react? What went through your mind?

I felt slightly annoyed, but I played along, as I do. I simply made note of it, and brought it up afterwords by saying something like: "I realize that you felt that attempting to control, manipulate, influence, make (or however you wish to phrase it) me was a good idea, but try asking nicely next time."

12. When you first meet someone, what are your first thoughts? What judgments do you make and what kinds of considerations do you have? Are you more concerned with what they think of you or what you think of them? If you are preparing to meet someone new, what do you hope about them and what do you fear about them?

My first thoughts are typically something like: "Ah, a new person, interesting". I don't like to make judgments right after meeting someone, merely observations. I'm concerned with what they think of me more than I'm concerned what I think of them. I can't say that I hope or fear anything about someone I'm preparing to meet. I'm merely intrigued by the idea of meeting someone new and discovering another personality.

13. Think about the last time you cried (if you've recently lost a loved one or gone through another similarly difficult experience, you can go back further and choose a random instance). What caused this? Who was around? Were you crying out of sadness, joy, frustration, or some other factor? How did you feel afterwards? Did it change anything? Is this typical for you?

While I could pick out each factor that overall contributed to what caused it over the span of a month, I'll say that I allowed things to pile up for too long emotionally. I was alone. I was crying out of every emotion that I think of, because over the span of a month, I become sad, happy, frustrated. angry, etc quite a bit, but typically I have to set that aside for someone else's problems, so I go over them as I'm crying. I felt relieved. It cleansed my emotional state. It's quite typical, as I have a set day for every month.

14. Think about the last time you felt really happy, joyful, or satisfied. What caused this feeling? What was different? What keeps you from feeling this way all the time?

This happens every time I'm able to discovering some new aspect of knowledge and add it to what I already know: Learning something. What was different was what I learned. Nothing keeps me from feeling it all the time, because nothing can keep me from learning.

15. If you were a tragic hero, what would be your fatal flaw? If you were a character in a comedy, what would be your distinguishing trait (i.e. stingy with money, fastidious, shallow, pretentious, etc.) Do you think others would agree with these?

Martyrism. I think that others would agree with this, because I tend to enjoy being the person who sacrifices for others to my own detriment.

16. Think over the past day or week and make a mental list (you can also write it here) of ways that you have done badly - by yourself, by others, etc. - any time that you have done something, and wish you would have done better. How would you characterize these instances? What caused you to fail and what was your reaction? Are you more likely to be hard on yourself or to find excuses for yourself?

My apologies, but I prefer to keep my failures to myself. Around 99% of the time, I know exactly what I did wrong, and get it right the second time. I caused myself to fail by not paying close enough attention. I'm more likely to be hard on myself.

17. a. Imagine meeting an evil version of yourself - your 'dark side' - and describe this person.
b. Describe your ideal self.

A.) Stubborn, conservative, narrow-minded, superficial.
B.) My ideal self is essentially who I am; Someone who is able to adapt as the situation calls for it.

18. What is your experience with and how do you deal with the following:

a. Loneliness: My experience with loneliness is that I experience it rarely. I deal with it by calling one of my friends, or the person I'm dating, then I hang out with them.
b. Doubt: My experience with doubt is something that doesn't really never 'leave'. Doubt follows adaptability as being one of my core traits. I deal with it by simply using it in my favor.
c. Boredom: My experience with boredom only really shows up when I'm forced to do something or be somewhere that doesn't provide entertainment for me. I get bored whenever I have do something I don't think is meaningful or intriguing. I deal with it by researching.
d. Laziness: My experience with laziness is that it's often present. My way of dealing with it is by surrounding myself with people who constantly need help, since it's difficult to be lazy when people keep me busy.
e. Temper: My experience with temper is that I'm calm 90% percent of the time, but on very rare occasions, I can't control my temper. I deal with it by distracting myself.

19. Which of the 'seven deadly sins' - pride, wrath, sloth, envy, lust, gluttony, avarice - do you relate to most and why? Which do you relate to least and why? Feel free to go into depth about these.

Most: Pride. I'm insanely confident that there's nothing I cannot understood given enough time, and I will die before I admit I can't understand something.
Least: Wrath. Wrath symbolizes the very things I wish to avoid such as uncontrolled anger/hatred.

20. Link a song you relate to and explain why.

I can relate to this song because I know what it's like to suffer, to feel worthless because I couldn't save someone from suicide, to have to force myself to keep going every time I wake up.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
@Paradigm. If I may borrow a moment of your time, could you please offer your thoughts? I'm especially curious on what you think regarding my instinctual stacking, if so.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I see 9 and sp quite a bit. Punching anger down by distracting yourself, etc.

I'm not as good at spotting instincts in questionnaire, but I didn't see a ton of evidence for soc or sx, and there were hints of sp. But nothing that was 100% clear to me. Again, I'm not used to looking out for instincts.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I can't edit my response for some reason, but I'd scratch sp, doesn't seem dominant. Anything wrong with soc? You seem to have a general awareness of how others see you, whether or not you like certain social conventions, etc. Nothing conclusive, but maybe check soc out?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for commenting your thoughts. I'm certain that I'm a 9w1, but I'm still seeking outside opinions. Especially on my instinctual stacking. I can relate somewhat to Sp, Sx, and So 9 descriptions.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
Thank you for commenting your thoughts. I'm certain that I'm a 9w1, but I'm still seeking outside opinions. Especially on my instinctual stacking. I can relate somewhat to Sp, Sx, and So 9 descriptions.
I had a nagging feeling you had already decided on 9, so my input would've been... underwhelming :tongue:

SO/SX maybe. But I've not read into detail and I don't like posting with the way the site is bugging out, so I'm sorry for not giving you your due diligence.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I go all in.
My chips are on SO.

You seem very focused on those around you, it seems like you pay a lot of attention to the social dynamics and care a lot about them. You also seem to be far more other-focused than self-centered. From what I can gather from this thread and a couple other things you posted, I'd be disinclined to say you are SP. Following what you wrote, you'd be inclined to sacrifice for others at a cost to yourself. Perhaps there is a little SX in you, but your focus on other's seems more congenial and related to a general intrest in social dynamics and an interesting in fulfilling social obligations rather than it being a specific focus on inviduals or a general seeking for the people or things that really speak to you.

Reactions: Rouskyrie

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I go all in.
My chips are on SO.

You seem very focused on those around you, it seems like you pay a lot of attention to the social dynamics and care a lot about them. You also seem to be far more other-focused than self-centered. From what I can gather from this thread and a couple other things you posted, I'd be disinclined to say you are SP. Following what you wrote, you'd be inclined to sacrifice for others at a cost to yourself. Perhaps there is a little SX in you, but your focus on other's seems more congenial and related to a general intrest in social dynamics and an interesting in fulfilling social obligations rather than it being a specific focus on inviduals or a general seeking for the people or things that really speak to you.
Thank you for your thoughts. I do think that I pay quite a bit of attention to social dynamics. I would also agree that I tend to be more other-focused than self-centered, as it's a tendency of mine to pay more attention to someone else's needs than my own. Sacrificing for other people is something that I like to do, and although I do regret the negatives that come with doing so, I find it's often worth it because I'm able to further connect with someone in doing so. I am quite particular about my likes and dislikes and my pursuit of individuality, but it's something that I do when I'm not being watched by others, because I don't particularly enjoy when people criticize my interests/preferences. It's for that reason that I remain adaptable to other people, so as to connect with people on a level of their interests.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts