Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that I get my feelings hurt very easily, I can have some friends who say things even when I know they are joking hurt me or make me feel bad.

I cant talk to certain people without feeling insecure or feeling like they think I'm annoying or ECT.

I can't be myself around people because I just feel like they are going to look down on me. My teachers even make me feel terrible when I make a mistake in class like blurting out (rarely). I just feel like people hate me for some reason.

Like I can't tell if people dislike me or not I get really strong feelings that they do. (How can you tell the difference between insecurity and gut feelings??)

·
Electronica Wizard
ISFP
6,709 Posts
You might have some form of anxiety. Sometimes when the anxiety is at its peak, you would get these thoughts in your head about what other people think about you and mostly it's about negative things. However, when you are calm, it's as though you are at the top of the world; talking about everything and everyone.

·
Registered
ENTP
3,276 Posts
I used to be like this too when I was younger. It's anxienty and especially social anxienty. I definitely believe that thick skin comes with age, but if you feel that these thoughts don't allow you to live your life you could get some professional help (even though being an ENTP the last thing you probably want to do is ask for help and appear weak :tongue:).

Like I can't tell if people dislike me or not
^this I still do and it's so frustrating sometimes, cos I'm an ENTP dammit! I want to know that people like me and respect me! :laughing:

Also you might be mistyped, I can't say since I don't know you and I'm not experienced in typing, but that definitely doesn't depend on how sensitive your are or aren't. It rather indicates a mental issue (lack of self esteem/anxienty) rather than an order of cognitive functions.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Why is it that I get my feelings hurt very easily, I can have some friends who say things even when I know they are joking hurt me or make me feel bad.

I cant talk to certain people without feeling insecure or feeling like they think I'm annoying or ECT.

I can't be myself around people because I just feel like they are going to look down on me. My teachers even make me feel terrible when I make a mistake in class like blurting out (rarely). I just feel like people hate me for some reason.

Like I can't tell if people dislike me or not I get really strong feelings that they do. (How can you tell the difference between insecurity and gut feelings??)

Sounds like depression to me.

I have depression myself and I often feel the same way too, I often feel that people hate me, but then again maybe it's just in my own imagination.

Maybe try finding ways to build your self-confidence so that you will no longer feel the need to let other people's opinions define who you are?

1,162 Posts
chances are you mistyped.

ENTP's like all the intellects only get irritated if their intelligence is insulted.
Likely, but if he's a hormonal teenager and/or grew up being told he's a worthless POS, that doesn't really apply.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
You're mistyped. Or 13.

Reactions: the401
1,162 Posts
A few possibilities

1) Anxiety, depression or the confusion that comes from wanting to fit in and being unable to do so. (Here's a tip: NOBODY DOES THAT PERFECTLY. Everybody's a little weird and awkward at times, the trick lies in embracing this instead of trying to be something you're not.) Or a miserable childhood from which the spillover is thinking you're not worthy and that secretly everybody hates you.

You deal with all of these a little differently, but ultimately the buck should end with "why do I care so much about what other people think about me?" Think on that for a while. It's OK to pay attention to what the people around you think and feel and to want to get along with others, but it can be self defeating if you don't approach it from a place of emotional contentment and accepting yourself as you are. Your first priority is to be good to yourself.

Also, work on separating feelings of anxiety from your thinking-- maybe you just respond strongly to stimuli. That's FINE. Sometimes anxious people, or people who have intense feelings that then get coded as anxiety, get stuck in a loop of trying to apply (misguided) logic to how strongly they emote, like looking for a reason for the emotional response instead of just accepting it for what it is. It's OK to have strong feelings. It's OK to react to your surroundings. But if you approach this with some perspective instead of getting stuck on "oh god, I feel horrible, people probably hate me" you can just acknowledge that feeling for what it is and move on. This is something I think T types sometimes have trouble with, the concept that feelings JUST ARE. Sometimes you'll have strong emotional responses to completely innocent things. Maybe it's because you emote strongly, maybe it's because you grew up being told you're not good enough, maybe it's you being uncomfortable with feelings, maybe it's something else, but it's DEFINITELY exacerbated by the panicky thinking that follows. The trick lies in being self aware instead of getting stuck in a loop of "it must be something horrible in me." Feelings happen. You deal. I'm not saying don't self analyse ever, just that you're getting stuck in a negative feedback loop here. And your self analysis reeks more of assigning blame on yourself instead of actually looking at WHY this shit happens. Take a broader perspective instead of one where all the roads lead to self hatred.

2) Mistype.

·
Registered
ENTP 7w6 so/sp
3,078 Posts
Work on building self esteem.
It sounds like you need to have more confidence in yourself.
That will fix a lot of issues. Be proud of who you are.
I don't think this is type related.

1,162 Posts
You might be mistyped. I can be sensitive & emotional but it's a voluntary response to external stimulus, genuine and spontaneous. Beyond that, I'm rather immune to emotional assault, it reveals more of their emotional state, which gives me further advantage in dealing with them.
I'm fairly emotional, and when I'm stressed I can be quite sensitive. By my standards, anyway, my so called sensitivity is still miles away from any ISFJ I know even when I'm miserable and they're on top of the world. But although malice and meanness bother me (I think this is one of those few Fe things about me, ha) I'm also prone to taking an approach of "that's YOUR shit, not mine." I haven't felt unworthy, hypersensitive or like there was something wrong with me since I was a fucked up teenager, and that was because of depression/social anxiety plus some fucked up immature thinking.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Kid definitely sounds as though he's in his early adolescence. I used to be very sensitive too as a young adult, and I'm as ENTP as it can get. There is a degree of teenage anxiety that affects all types, it's an environmental factor. I had a late puberty, being only 5' tall when entering high school. I was bullied by one asshole for a year. Makes you angrier and sensitive. I finished highschool at 6', but still a 110lb skeleton. I got massively depressed in university. It took another year until I started getting out of my slump. Im 180lbs of muscle right now, with more charm and confidence than anyone of my friends. When I speak, people listen. And that's important for an ENTP. Whats the point of debating and arguing when no one will give you the time of day? The kid feels he's annoying people and they hate him. He's probably sensitive right now and that it's partially true. No one gave a fuck about me early on and just thought I was some asshole. People told me to keep my opinions to myself. The road to ENTP isn't all cocky assured debater from the start, especially during vulnerable years. He's probably going through something like this.

·
Banned
2,244 Posts
I'm fairly emotional, and when I'm stressed I can be quite sensitive. By my standards, anyway, my so called sensitivity is still miles away from any ISFJ I know even when I'm miserable and they're on top of the world. But although malice and meanness bother me (I think this is one of those few Fe things about me, ha) I'm also prone to taking an approach of "that's YOUR shit, not mine." I haven't felt unworthy, hypersensitive or like there was something wrong with me since I was a fucked up teenager, and that was because of depression/social anxiety plus some fucked up immature thinking.

Yeah, what other people say or do reflects on them, not on me. Sticks & stones... Is that what you meant?

1,162 Posts
Yeah, what other people say or do reflects on them, not on me. Sticks & stones... Is that what you meant?
Yup. Like, say, if a lot of the people whose opinions I value are saying the same thing about me, I'll listen and consider their perspectives. But actual meanness or full blown assaults from other people... they might startle me in the moment, and in fact this often happens because it's so far outside how I operate. (I'm snarky, but I can't see any purpose in being hurtful on purpose. I don't make my problems other people's problems, unless they get between me and my first cup of coffee in the morning.) But after I'm over my surprise? It's really THEIR shit, not mine, and my typical emotional response besides bafflement is irritation, which will generally be followed by a decision to limit contact with that person or cut them out completely from my life is possible, although some exceptions here exist for my in-laws. (Sigh.) I know I'm a decent person, I'm aware of my flaws such as they are, and I think that a hugely negative reaction to anything that I do is totally unwarranted and out of proportion. It's not me, it's them. So I shrug and move on.

Reactions: yentipeee

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
why should you care if people ''like you''?
the only person that has to deal with you is you
only you know yourself, don't try to be ''liked'' otherwise you will set yourself up to fail
I mean I guess its because I'm alone, I'm the only child.
You're right

I actually just feel like I irritate people. Its weird because I don't care who dislikes me depending on who it is for some reason.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
chances are you mistyped.

ENTP's like all the intellects only get irritated if their intelligence is insulted.
Yup if someone insults my beliefs or intelligence I get pretty irritated
Or if someone is wrong about something I become really irritable haha

·
Banned
2,244 Posts
Yup. Like, say, if a lot of the people whose opinions I value are saying the same thing about me, I'll listen and consider their perspectives. But actual meanness or full blown assaults from other people... they might startle me in the moment, and in fact this often happens because it's so far outside how I operate. (I'm snarky, but I can't see any purpose in being hurtful on purpose. I don't make my problems other people's problems, unless they get between me and my first cup of coffee in the morning.) But after I'm over my surprise? It's really THEIR shit, not mine, and my typical emotional response besides bafflement is irritation, which will generally be followed by a decision to limit contact with that person or cut them out completely from my life is possible, although some exceptions here exist for my in-laws. (Sigh.) I know I'm a decent person, I'm aware of my flaws such as they are, and I think that a hugely negative reaction to anything that I do is totally unwarranted and out of proportion. It's not me, it's them. So I shrug and move on.

I’m the same way.

I know people that will remember something you said 10 yrs ago and still hate you for it. I’m incapable of that. Harboring such emotions only hurts the owner. That’s the Feelers’ downside, as sweet as they can be, twisted emotions can turn them into monsters.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.