Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started an ESFJ blog if anyone is interested :) Anyway, for real- such a dumb stereotype!

I think this is the stereotype that has bothered me the most, because I can’t see the truth in it in contrary of other stereotypes. I mean, SINCE WHEN DOES EXTROVERTED FEELING = EVIL BITCH???

I’ve seen ESFJ’s hate threads, I ain’t kidding. So many people (looking at you, INxx’s) tend to type the mean girls who picked up on you in school as ESFJ without thinking much while not considering he actual behvaior- is that really ESFJ, or just unhealthy? It seems like emotional, whiny, annoying bitches are typed as ESFJ while cold, angry and basically evil bitches are typed as ESTJ. However, I noticed that many times ESFJs really aren’t the mean girl- quite the contrary, they might even be nerds.

My first example is myself, an ESFJ. Let me say this- I was never bullied. But as a kid, I didn’t really liked anyone and I preferred to be alone. I was quite socially avoidant actually. As I grew up I opened up and now while I have many friends (both close and not so close) I wouldn’t classify myself as popular, while more well liked probably. Though let me tell you this- I don’t like going out to parties like ESFJs might do, I enjoy staying at home watching American Horror Story and Parks and Recreation. I like it when friends come over, I like it when they don’t I don’t depend on social interaction and definitely not on being mean and making sure my reputation still has Queen B written on it. I have another ESFJ friend who’s just like me, and all she does is watching Law & Order: SVU and meeting mainly with her boyfriend. She doesn’t care for social events or status one bit. But to tell you the truth on why I’m not a popular girl? Because my friends are the outcasts, the weirdos. Yep, me, an ESFJ, befriending the weird kids. I’ll tell you why- other than the fact they’re interesting as shit, all of my friends are pretty troubled. They have deep problems, while I don’t. And what I do? I help. ESFJs generally enjoy helping others and I’m an extreme mother hen to everyone around me. I enjoy helping them, fixing them, and if that means giving up status, so be it.

But if I’m not enough, let me provide you with some more examples:

Melanie Moretti from the show Hot In Cleveland (a show you probably don’t watch but you should if you want to see some non-stereotypical ESFJ’s, as Joy is definitely not a stereotypical ESFJ as well, but that’s for another post).

Anyway, Melanie is blatantly ESFJ. Leads with extrovert feeling, a care for the group and being kind and polite paried with introverted sensing which causes her to be detail oriented, freak out over the unknown and rely on her experience. If you’ve ever watched the show, you’d notice she constantly references her high school experience, which wasn’t very good. She suffered from all kind of physical diseases, was teased about it and was the subject of gossip among her peers, and when it was time for her prom what did she do? She stayed home with her mom and played Scrabbles. Not something you’d expect from an ESFJ, right? But you know, bullying happens to ESFJs too, not only INxx’s.

Anyone here remembers the show Victorious?

Tori was also an ESFJ. Definitely not a mean girl. Probably one of the nicest girls out there. Creative as well! A very good example of how an ESFJ in real life would look like, actually. On the other hand, who is the mean girl? Jade, interestingly an ISFP. Talking about ESFJ x ISFP pairs-

Come on, how can you say Leslie can be a mean girl? I’d say April, an ISFP, is a lot meaner. Not to be a bitch to ISFPs (they’re honestly my best friends), but I’m just making a point- ESFJs in general really isn’t a popular mean girl stereotype.

More examples are Mia Thermopolis from Princess Diaries (she’s had pretty much one friend during high school and was unpopular), Bernadette Rostenkowski from The Big Bang Theory (was probably more of a nerd rather than popular, especially when compared to Penny, an ESFP), Jenna from 13 Going On 30 (wasn’t that how the movie started?), and a lot more.

Of course, there’s always the Regina Georges and Gretchen Wieners’s, but what type doesn’t? Any MBTI type when unhealthy is a mean girl. Why is ESFJ any different?

·
Registered
400 Posts
(I'm sorry, I was waiting to see what others would say, but so far there haven't been any others! Hopefully my response isn't too bad;;;)

It basically has to do with the dominant Fe, which corresponds and sometimes shows itself through others in wanting to fit in, to be liked. We are an assertive type, that speaks its mind and can be a bit bossy, or at least that's how we may be perceived. God I feel really dizzy and the words seem to be sounding weird to me right now, but I hope I'm conveying the right idea, like how people may see us like this.

In high school, I was a bit nerdy and quirky myself. I used to think I was an introvert because I would be alone a lot and too shy to approach others, which may have made me looked stuck up. (Though I was always very excited and did my best to be as polite as possible to anyone who spoke to me, I really do love people~) Another thing is that I used to get comments during and after high school about seeming like a "queen bee", in simplest terms. How? I'm not very sure, it could be the eyebrows! Hehe but seriously, I somehow give off this sort of vibe, just by how I looked and carried myself. It's the simplest things, the most subtle, that can really create an impact, one I really wasn't aware of until I received these curious words from others, which makes me blush, laugh and apologize simultaneously.

And I won't even lie. Before I had a better understanding of cognitive functions, I used to label "mean girls" as Fe doms. I knew of characters of the personality type who are really healthy and sweet and just all the wonderful things we could be, but just always saw how the stereotypical mean girl could be one too. Like, pertaining to the ones looking for popularity specifically, being fake and wanting to win favor of everyone and needed to be adored. There is a stigma associated with Fe that it means we're fake, because we generally wish for harmony among others, some taking it farther than others. (If that makes any sense??)

And honestly, I feel embarrassed and apologetic for my personality type, which is pretty sad. I'm really happy I'm with someone who favors ESFJs, but in general, I feel like we are one of the least liked type, and either others have had awful experiences with one, or they had awful experiences with people they mistyped as ESFJ because of stereotypes like this.

And ooh my god yes, I was really excited when I found out characters like Jenna from 13 Going on 3O, Kitty from That 7O's Show, Steven from Steven Universe and Starfire from Teen Titans were ESFJs, just because of how genuinely fun and sweet they were, and truly themselves, not being two-faced, but being the side of ESFJ that is expressive of their thoughts and emotions, because that's what I relate to. Hopefully there'll be more wonderful and true portrayals of our type that'll help people to realize we really aren't as bad as some characters make us seem! :blushed:

·
Registered
788 Posts
And honestly, I feel embarrassed and apologetic for my personality type, which is pretty sad. I'm really happy I'm with someone who favors ESFJs, but in general, I feel like we are one of the least liked type, and either others have had awful experiences with one, or they had awful experiences with people they mistyped as ESFJ because of stereotypes like this.
:shocked: Don't feel bad about your type! On these forums I've seen more people bitch about ESFJ's than any other type, but I've yet to see ESFJ's bitch. The formation of these stereotypes, and the bitching says more about the other types than it does ESFJ's. Be proud, there don't seem to be many of you guys here. :kitteh:

·
Registered
604 Posts
To be honest, I definitely feel you. Most people don't even bother to really examine the person who is being mean or hurtful towards them. "They hurt my feelings so they must be an ESxJ!!!" <- People who don't have a good grasp on what MBTI actually is, lmao. Most of them end up being mistyped Sensors who actually end up realising that they are, in fact an ESFJ themselves!! It's sometimes hilarious to watch them go from being totally aggressive towards ESFJ to desperately try to cover up previous hateful and typist statements towards the entire type.

·
Registered
627 Posts
ESFJs are actually kinda cute, in terms of mannerisms. Now, these can get annoying, but everything in mediation. :laughing:
I know a male ESFJ who:
1. Constantly gets excited about technology and tries to figure it out.
2. Really likes helping you out.
3. Makes these awkward jokes, and tries to catch your eye in order to get you to laugh.
4. Is very warm and effusive.

·
Banned
4,281 Posts
My lovely lovely ESFJ's.

Never change ! .... I dont care what stereotypes or whatever people put on you!

Keep being you! You make the other types work properly!

Whats wrong with being adamant about social zen? (some people would say bitchy)
But they just dont understand that is needed from time to time.
I do believe that is an absolute MUST in social interactions.

My Wife is an ESFJ I post in this forum from time to time just to get opinions from people like her.

I can say without a doubt that because she is a stereotypical ESFJ we work awesome as a team.

I have long excepted the fact that without ESFJ and similar types social structure would be
a mess at best.

I have said it before .. and I will say it again ESFJ's are the social glue.

So I say F' the nay-sayers cause they dont mean a thing just keep doing your own thing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I never really typed people in high school or give it any thought to what kind of type a person might be if they are mean spirited. I always thought that no matter what type you are in there is always a sense of wanting to fit in or belong somewhere.

Then again I was bullied for numbers of reasons, from color of my skin to what I wore.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I was a 'weirdo' in highschool, and bullied by small minded jerks. But I also had a lot of cool, diverse friends. Now in my mid-twenties, I have a small number of close friends and most days I enjoy just hanging out with my husband and cat at home. The only thing about my friends is that they are all introverts, which makes them really interesting to me, but I also have to rotate who I am spending time with so I don't exhaust them too much with my extrovertedness. I occasionally like to host small parties (again, small cause... I'm surrounded by introverts) and cook/bake goodies for my friends.

I wish people could see the good in ESFJs. It is very disheartening to learn about your type, become excited to realize that who you are is ok because that is just how you function in the world, and then go online to try to connect with other ESFJs and learn that the rest of the world hates you. How is it that someone can dislike me before they even talk to me based on my type? Typism is real, and it sucks. :(

·
Banned
4,281 Posts
I was a 'weirdo' in highschool, and bullied by small minded jerks. But I also had a lot of cool, diverse friends. Now in my mid-twenties, I have a small number of close friends and most days I enjoy just hanging out with my husband and cat at home. The only thing about my friends is that they are all introverts, which makes them really interesting to me, but I also have to rotate who I am spending time with so I don't exhaust them too much with my extrovertedness. I occasionally like to host small parties (again, small cause... I'm surrounded by introverts) and cook/bake goodies for my friends.

I wish people could see the good in ESFJs. It is very disheartening to learn about your type, become excited to realize that who you are is ok because that is just how you function in the world, and then go online to try to connect with other ESFJs and learn that the rest of the world hates you. How is it that someone can dislike me before they even talk to me based on my type? Typism is real, and it sucks. :(
Its not all that bad you do have many supporters!

Just by sheer percentage there are many of you over most types.

I think, by default your "type" is less prone to doing the online thing
for this type of item. Facebook sure, online gossip columns yeah,
family tree kinda stuff, recipes.

Forums about cognitive functions is not really your
stomping ground.

This is all based on a stereotypical view of said type ESFJ.

I do go to bat for ESFJ's a lot and I love you guys and gals
I am surrounded by ESFJ's in my life and wouldn't have it any other way.

We all need you and you know it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Its not all that bad you do have many supporters!

Just by sheer percentage there are many of you over most types.

I think, by default your "type" is less prone to doing the online thing
for this type of item. Facebook sure, online gossip columns yeah,
family tree kinda stuff, recipes.

Forums about cognitive functions is not really your
stomping ground.

This is all based on a stereotypical view of said type ESFJ.

I do go to bat for ESFJ's a lot and I love you guys and gals
I am surrounded by ESFJ's in my life and wouldn't have it any other way.

We all need you and you know it.
Thanks! I do appreciate the posts I've seen where you are supporting ESFJs. It warms my heart! I guess the trouble is that I don't really know an ESFJs in real life. Weird, huh? I am surrounded by INTPs, ISFPs, INFPs, INFJs, and INTJs. I really don't buy into the 'rare' and 'common' theories about type, because in my experience it really isn't true at all! Haha

·
Banned
4,281 Posts
Thanks! I do appreciate the posts I've seen where you are supporting ESFJs. It warms my heart! I guess the trouble is that I don't really know an ESFJs in real life. Weird, huh? I am surrounded by INTPs, ISFPs, INFPs, INFJs, and INTJs. I really don't buy into the 'rare' and 'common' theories about type, because in my experience it really isn't true at all! Haha
It may just be the types you draw an/or drawn to.

I know I need ESJF and like types so I have subconsciously surrounded myself with them.

I know this as most of the people I have in my life I chose before I knew types at all.

After I found out about MBTi I started to ask around and get people close to me
"typed" and was not really surprised that I had surrounded myself with ESFJ as
they compliment my lazy procrastinating head in the clouds scatterbrain ENTP type :)

They also supply me with emotional support which I have a hard time
noticing when I need it ...they do not.

In saying that , could the same ring true for you ?

I know the ESFJ's in my life typically migrate to people who
need them and people who recognize what they offer.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease so to speak and ESFJ's love to "solve"
emotionally related items. and help the people going through them.

·
Registered
855 Posts
In my opinion, most of the mean girls in highschools are either unhealthy ESFJ's or other types projecting the image of uhealthy ESFJ's. But every type has negative stereotypes, don't worry.
Btw, everyone knows the original "Mean Girl" is an ExTJ.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts