Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 402 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a question I have been wrestling with for the last 20-years. Yet, the reason(s) for its truth always seems to elude me. Might any other INTJs have some insight? :wink:

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I don't know many INTJs, but logan-prime is cool because he likes good music, has integrity, is constantly working toward perfection, cares about being useful to others, is polymathic, lives a healthy lifestyle and is good at prioritizing, among other things. :blushed:
He's also good at finding solutions to problems, and does so in a practical, efficient manner.

Reactions: Judson Joist

·
Registered
8 Posts
'Cause we choose to be ourselves and resist the rest of the world's attempts to make us conform. We calculate the cost of 'going along to get along' and find the price is too high. It takes guts to dance to the beat of your own drummer and in a strange way, other people find that attractive; hence the coolness factor.

However I warn all those who would dare get involved with us, INTJ's are no day at the beach! :proud:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
'Cause we choose to be ourselves and resist the rest of the world's attempts to make us conform. We calculate the cost of 'going along to get along' and find the price is too high. It takes guts to dance to the beat of your own drummer and in a strange way, other people find that attractive; hence the coolness factor.

However I warn all those who would dare get involved with us, INTJ's are no day at the beach! :proud:
Yep, we're impervious to social pressure. Have you ever read Asch's research on social pressure?
Very interesting. I can't believe that someone could "go with the flow" to that extent.

If everybody is agreeing, nobody is thinking.

·
Registered
103 Posts
This is a question I have been wrestling with for the last 20-years. Yet, the reason(s) for its truth always seems to elude me. Might any other INTJs have some insight? :wink:
What is this "coolness" you speak of? *Looks around to see if anyone is looking* :proud: We dare not divulge our secrets...THEY might start to understand us.*Gasp*

·
The Doer King
13,680 Posts
Isn't the real question "Why are the INTJ's so delusional?"

·
Banned
2,324 Posts
The others have said it already: because we go our own path and don't partecipate at "groupthinking".
I like to requote something at this point: "A good leader inspires others to be leaders themselves". I do believe we do that; and people like us for it. That and we just get admired for the "guts" we have.

Also: we know our strenghts and flaws (and work on them). People seem to be highly impressed by that.
PLUS we don't sound arrogant when we point out what we can do. Unlike some people from a certain other type that I am not gonna mention here now. =P

·
The Doer King
13,680 Posts
The others have said it already: because we go our own path and don't partecipate at "groupthinking".
I like to requote something at this point: "A good leader inspires others to be leaders themselves". I do believe we do that; and people like us for it. That and we just get admired for the "guts" we have.

Also: we know our strenghts and flaws (and work on them). People seem to be highly impressed by that.
PLUS we don't sound arrogant when we point out what we can do. Unlike some people from a certain other type that I am not gonna mention here now. =P
I am arrogant. :cool:

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Isn't the real question "Why are the INTJ's so delusional?"
Delusional? Umm.. What?
That is a matter of perspective, and a novel one coming from a perceiver.

Perception and reality said:
From Psychology WikiMany cognitive psychologists hold that, as we move about in the world, we create a model of how the world works. That is, we sense the objective world, but our sensations map to percepts, and these percepts are provisional, in the same sense that scientific hypotheses are provisional (cf. in the scientific method). As we acquire new information, our percepts shift. Abraham Pais' biography refers to the 'esemplastic' nature of imagination. In the case of visual perception, some people can actually see the percept shift in their mind's eye. Others who are not picture thinkers, may not necessarily perceive the 'shape-shifting' as their world changes. The 'esemplastic' nature has been shown by experiment: an ambiguous image has multiple interpretations on the perceptual level.

Just as one object can give rise to multiple percepts, so an object may fail to give rise to any percept at all: if the percept has no grounding in a person's experience, the person may literally not perceive it.

This confusing ambiguity of perception is exploited in human technologies such as camouflage, and also in biological mimicry, for example by Peacock butterflies, whose wings bear eye markings that birds respond to as though they were the eyes of a dangerous predator. Perceptual ambiguity is not restricted to vision. For example, recent touch perception research (Robles-De-La-Torre & Hayward 2001) found that kinesthesia-based haptic perception strongly relies on the forces experienced during touch. This makes it possible to produce illusory touch percepts (see also the MIT Technology Review article The Cutting Edge of Haptics).

Cognitive theories of perception assume there is a poverty of stimulus. This (with reference to perception) is the claim that sensations are, by themselves, unable to provide a unique description of the world. Sensations require 'enriching', which is the role of the mental model. A different type of theory is the perceptual ecology approach of James J. Gibson. Gibson rejected the assumption of a poverty of stimulus by rejecting the notion that perception is based in sensations. Instead, he investigated what information is actually presented to the perceptual systems. He (and the psychologists who work within this paradigm) detailed how the world could be specified to a mobile, exploring organism via the lawful projection of information about the world into energy arrays. Specification is a 1:1 mapping of some aspect of the world into a perceptual array; given such a mapping, no enrichment is required and perception is direct.
And as Sensations are empoverished in terms of truth, and Perception is an abstraction of this, the next evolutionary step is being able to somehow judge a balance between internal perceptions and external sensations.

So in all actuality. Delusion falls heavier on the over-exemplification of Sensation or Perception as accurate. A deception made by these processes, one could say.

Delusion said:
A delusion is commonly defined as a fixed false belief and is used in everyday language to describe a belief that is either false, fanciful or derived from deception. In psychiatry, the definition is necessarily more precise and implies that the belief is pathological (the result of an illness or illness process).

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

I cannot stand "groupthink" at all. It makes me want to punch people in the brain.
Thankyouverymuch, but I can do enough thinking for the whole room myself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I always thought INTJs were so cool because they were on their way to becoming ENTJs. I mean, that's what everyone strives to do, isn't it? And INTJs are doing a better job than most.
OH the HORROR!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I always thought INTJs were so cool because they were on their way to becoming ENTJs. I mean, that's what everyone strives to do, isn't it? And INTJs are doing a better job than most.

No surprise that an ENTJ would type such a bold statement. You are fully aware of the real truth...you like the INTJ's just the way we are. You wouldn't have it any other way.:cool:

·
Banned
2,324 Posts
Hm, I just thought about it again for a second. The coolest statement would probably have been:

Why are INTJs so cool?

- Because we can! =P

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Time to Ring Some Changes

Under the Perseus system (MTBI variant) all NJs groupthink to the science base. It is a grave situation. Cold as death.

The Bird of Paradise knows.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts

Under the Perseus system (MTBI variant) all NJs groupthink to the science base. It is a grave situation. Cold as death.

The Bird of Paradise knows.
That is what makes us cool huh? Thanks man.. You love grave situations then? And death apparently.. A bit morbid, but hey, to each their own right?

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Death is not the End

That is what makes us cool huh? Thanks man.. You love grave situations then? And death apparently.. A bit morbid, but hey, to each their own right?

No, that's what INTPs can think of INTJ coolness. Cold as death. Bring on the Fire Dragon ! (NP)

1 - 20 of 402 Posts