Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why do you think that is? Can't stop reading threads full of stereotypes where extroverts are made out to be brainless party animals who can't enjoy the true meaning of life.

Why are introverts often/always considered "better", smarter, or deeper than extroverts?

EDIT: I guess I'll be more clear... not saying I think either extroverts or introverts are better. I love both, and don't even think there are comparisons to be made. I'm just wondering about something I've noticed.

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
Because it's the internet. We're not valued IRL.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
It could be because those are the loudest most obvious extraverts, and probably they don't know any extravert well enough to counter act that mental image. They file extraverts as a 'them' group not worth trying to understand and follow stereotypes instead.

It could be a rebellion against the bias against introverts we feel quite a bit growing up. (It kind of sucks when those social butterflies want to fix you or treat you like you are weird for having a low tolerance to doing things.)

It could be that they misunderstand the term and type everyone who isn't that kind of extravert as an introvert. (because socialibility is an unreliable indicator of e/i)

Anyway, the loudest of a group isn't always the representative, both to the social butterflies and the bitter introvert.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the answers, I hope you guys didn't think I was criticizing introverts, I love them. In real life too, most of my best friends are introverts.

It's just hard seeing threads entitled "I hate extroverts" or else. I've always thought introverts and extroverts were equally as good, and that introversion and extroversion were mainly facades.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Also, it's typically thought that people who are independent, self sufficient, and don't need others as "strong". And people who like to be around others all the time as "needy", afraid to be alone, and "weak".

There are so many self help books with the theme of "Why can't you be alone? What's wrong with you? Do you hate yourself? Are you uncomfortable in your own skin? Why can't your pathetic ass just sit with your feelings for a moment? Do you wet the bed at night because you can't be alone for one minute? What are you running from?"

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Extroverts are often consider "better" than introverts(especially in western culture), I think you have it backwards, you should be asking why extroverts are considered better than introverts. Like for instance I get the feeling that some ENTPs(online/the internetz) think they are a "better", more improved versions of INTPs. It is very obvious that most of US society(and probably most of europe) is very very very biased in favor of extroverts that it is sickening. It could depend on what country you live in, like say Japan, introverts probably are favored over extroverts. I myself was actually placed in a "special education" class in grade school because I was a very quiet, introverted child and shit like that just pisses me off, like I'm defective or slow.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Why do you think that is? Can't stop reading threads full of stereotypes where extroverts are made out to be brainless party animals who can't enjoy the true meaning of life.
Yeah, I've read those also. The thing that gets to me about that is that it's one of the more ignorant of the MBTI stereotypes.

Anyway, I rarely see any extroverts speaking of introversion as if it's not as good(I'm using the word 'rarely', not 'never'). I see more often introverts speaking of extroversion as if it's not as good.

Extroverts are often consider "better" than introverts(especially in western culture), I think you have it backwards, you should be asking why extroverts are considered better than introverts. Like for instance I get the feeling that some ENTPs(online/the internetz) think they are a "better", more improved versions of INTPs. It is very obvious that most of society is very very very biased in favor of extroverts that it is sickening.
I think the person who made that thread used the word 'some' and was only asking because they saw that they had 'introverted' tendencies in their younger years...

Also, introversion and extroversion are different in Jungian terms.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
You're wrong, the world only has time for extroverts. I'm not sure why, I guess people see them as amazing qualities of some kind.
*shrugs*

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

Why are introverts often/always considered "better", smarter, or deeper than extroverts?
If you're talking about online MBTI/typology forums like this one, the people who make those threads probably had bad experiences with extroverts/or people who they thought were extroverts, they can express their frustration online with similar like-minded people who share their experiences and frustrations. Are introverts better, are extroverts better, it depends on who you ask and what they value, I think an open-minded person can see the strengths and weaknesses of both(like introversion is a deeper, but more specific, narrow cognitive attitude and extroversion is a more broad, all-encompassing cognitive attitude, if course people do have both attitudes to varying preferences).

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Are introverts better, are extroverts better, it depends on who you ask and what they value, I think an open-minded person can see the strengths and weaknesses of both(like introversion is a deeper, but more specific, narrow cognitive attitude and extroversion is a more broad, all-encompassing cognitive attitude).
I usually don't pay much attention to anyone who wants to argue that either is inherently 'better'(though this goes with any function dichotomy) since extroverted and introverted types have those different qualities that aren't easily quantified anyway.

Reactions: NinjaSwan

·
Registered
752 Posts
Introverts are not better than extroverts, lol. Vice versa as well; Extroverts are not necessarily better than introverts.

Everyone has their preference and neither E's or I's should be underestimated, or overestimated for that matter. Introverts can be just as extroverted as your natural extroverts, and extroverts can be just as introverted as natural introverts in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why are people assuming that I thought introverts were to blame? I've seen a few of them preaching prejudiced ideas... like extroverts being fond of socializing, and introverts wanting to be alone all the time, and I thought it was worth discussing. I'm kind of sad I was misunderstood but oh well...

·
Registered
752 Posts
Why are people assuming that I thought introverts were to blame? I've seen a few of them preaching prejudiced ideas... like extroverts being fond of socializing, and introverts wanting to be alone all the time, and I thought it was worth discussing. I'm kind of sad I was misunderstood but oh well...
...I knew I was forgetting to add something to my previous post .____. Thanks for reminding me.

I'm sick of those stereotypes. They are not always true. Introverts are not always shy, Extroverts do not always run their mouth.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Society is run by extroverts, but it was designed and advanced by introverts. Both play a crucial part to its functioning; one would be useless without the other.

Introverts might be favoured on "nerdy" social sites like this, but that's simply because we're the majority here. The internet is where we go instead of out into the real world, which is where all the extroverts are. In the real world the extroverted lifestyle is definitely favoured, and introverts are often considered weird and maladjusted.

·
MOTM Feb 2011
8,075 Posts
I have seen words to the contrary; that extroverts are more desirable types than introverts. I don't think one is better than the other though, just different... perhaps why I am so drawn to I's, because they are different to me.
And remember no matter what your type is you are still you, a unique person never to be repeated. Sometimes we tend to put people into too many boxes. I am guilty of this. Why do we need to label every aspect of ourselves? Sometimes mystery is inviting.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Stereotypes are everywhere. All kinds of 'em. Extroverts are shallow, introverts have self-esteem issues, intuitives are overrated, sensors are simple-minded, feelers are irrational, thinkers are cold, perceivers are unreliable, judgers are control freaks... You name it.

A lot of people have had issues with being stereotyped into one of those, but when you think about it - do people who are willing to put you in a box before getting to know you even worth the time? I don't think so. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses and is a part of the beautiful mess we call humanity. Yes, this has been repeated a thousand times and it's probably the biggest cliché ever, but it's still true - we're different. Live with it. :proud:

As for the question itself, as I got distracted being an annoying individualist again, I've been met with prejudice because of being a bit more on the extroverted side myself, yes. I am rather borderline, though, so I haven't had too much trouble with it, but I do think society values introverts a good deal. If nothing else, they seem to cause less trouble and get fewer displeased reactions upon opening their mouths.

I guess in the end it all comes down to everyone thinking they have it worse than the others.

·
Registered
89 Posts
1) The Internet is a haven for introverts
2) Introverts are bitter at the "extraverted is healthy; introverted is maladjusted" view that Western culture tends toward (NOT extraverts themselves. The PREFERENCE for extraversion as a personality trait).

Put the two together. That's why.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts