Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's pretty obvious that ISTPs are extremely territorial in almost every sense. Why why why?

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
I think it's an introvert thing. I have a bubble. I value privacy. I don't like people looking at my stuff, much less touching it. Why? Because it's mine. Mine, I tell ya! :wink:

Maybe we come across as more territorial than the other introverts because we tend not to mince words. Like, I've noticed that some ISTPs have a low tolerance level...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Get the hell off our foru-

~oh

Wait...

It actually is dependant on the person. I have differant levels of tollerance for differant kinds of people.

----
Some people, i don't want in my home at all. :Few

Some people, can come into my home so long as they don't talk to touch anything. They're not welcome for long. :Few

Some people can come in, and talk about relivant things, and pick things up if they ask. : The, "norm."

Some people can come in, talk a lot, pick things up if they ask. : few

There's a very rare select few group of people who can come in, flop on the couch, rant about their day, get some coffee from the machine and a mug, and do whatever the hell they want withen reasonable boundries. : Very, very few... EVER.

--
It all depends on my level of patience with you.

If you're an Exxx, it's likely i won't have very much... Ussualy you grind on my nerves. (ENFPs are a bit of an exception)

If you're an ISTP an ISTJ or an INFJ with simular hobies and we've known each other for a long while... We've gotten close... That's very, very differant.

The other thing is, It's not based soley on type. There's exceptions to every rule.

There's a level of patience for a single indevidual, and there's a level of patience for everyone and every thing as a whole...

Once i run out of the overall patience, i just need to be left alone for a while... Left alone to relax and work on a project... Drink some coffee.... Ect. To not be nagged or bugged every hour on the hour.

It's really not complicated to get on an ISTPs good side. Just learn to give us a bit of time to rest.

Now that i've poured out my deepest most heartfelt feelings on the matter, i'm going to go get some coffee and prepare to teach search and rescue.

·
Registered
889 Posts
My territoriality is essentially a need to protect my personal space and personal freedom. Even my dog is territorially aggressive, by nature.

This could sum up my general feelings on strange people invading my space.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet because they may want to kill you."
-Taken from "Rules for a Gunfight"

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
I have noticed, from my pervious thread that ISTP's seem to be very sensitive, maybe not emotional but sensitive. So maybe that has something to do with it. I have also noticed that a lot of S' types and SP's types are territorial. So it might have less to do with the ISTP aspect of it but the SP/S aspect of it. But that's just a guess.

·
Registered
547 Posts
It actually is dependant on the person. I have differant levels of tollerance for differant kinds of people.
----
Some people, i don't want in my home at all. :Few

Some people, can come into my home so long as they don't talk to touch anything. They're not welcome for long. :Few

Some people can come in, and talk about relivant things, and pick things up if they ask. : The, "norm."

Some people can come in, talk a lot, pick things up if they ask. : few

There's a very rare select few group of people who can come in, flop on the couch, rant about their day, get some coffee from the machine and a mug, and do whatever the hell they want withen reasonable boundries. : Very, very few... EVER.

--
Yeah this is pretty much me, too. It's just protecting my energy levels and my privacy. I have very little energy for people's issues, and so the number of friends who can call me at any time and get free advice is a small handful.
I have one close friend that I've known for 8 years now, and she calls me from out of state for advice on her problems and it always sucks up at least an hour or 2. I don't mind because she's gotten past my filter, but I'm always exhausted afterward. She's not a T, so she desperately needs practical Ti intervention and that's why I get the phone calls. lol [she could spend 2 hours just listing all the details of her problem, but within a few sentences I've already got it figured out and then I just have to convince her of the proper plan of action]

It's like people are energy vampires and I've only got enough blood for a few. :happy:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Yeah this is pretty much me, too. It's just protecting my energy levels and my privacy. I have very little energy for people's issues, and so the number of friends who can call me at any time and get free advice is a small handful.
I have one close friend that I've known for 8 years now, and she calls me from out of state for advice on her problems and it always sucks up at least an hour or 2. I don't mind because she's gotten past my filter, but I'm always exhausted afterward. She's not a T, so she desperately needs practical Ti intervention and that's why I get the phone calls. lol

It's like people are energy vampires and I've only got enough blood for a few. :happy:
I know what you mean. Getting to know my newly found family is extremely exhausting. I'll chat with one of them for about an hour and then need to recharge for a few hours.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I don't find my husband to be all that territorial. He lets me play with his "toys" (i.e. gadgets freely, as I have proven I can be trusted with them) but maybe it's just because he likes me. As for sensitivity, my husband definitely has a sensitive side, but I think that's because he's human. I've yet to find anyone who's not sensitive about something. (If you exist, I envy the heck out of you)

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
"Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again."

What Miss Fixit, OctoberSkye, ThoughtProcess, and FearsomeCritter said. (I'll say more later).

Reactions: Frannyy

·
Banned
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I am getting that any sort of unwanted contact is viewed by the ISTP as someone imposing on their privacy and independence even if it is not an objective or a publicly known and marked off 'space'.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
But it could also be from what FearsomeCritter wrote.

Maybe we just don't like you.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts