Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is plenty of research showing that trauma can biologically damage memory, ability to absorb information, concentration, etc. but when normies see someone struggling at school, they invent delusional stories about how someone doesn't care or doesn't want to put effort or whatever slogans they invent.

Maybe normies aren't normies at all but instead they are suffering from a form of mild psychosis that makes them experience delusions about other people?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Probably because for every student who suffered a trauma that effects their ability to learn and absorb information, there are 2 or more who just don't care about schooling and willfully choose to slack? It's easy for those who need help to slip through the cracks when there are myriads of careless students who simply won't work because they don't feel like it. It's not a willful ignoring of those in need in most cases.

Source: I'm a pretty lazy student.

·
Banned
659 Posts
I'll agree with you that there is a general tendency toward the stance you outline but the basis for it is hardly grounded in fantasy.

Succeeding is hard, really hard. So hard, some people can't or simply resolve not to do it. I include myself in that - I have a decent job but I don't aspire to one day head my own firm because it's a gigantic pain in the arse. Yeah, you're paid great money in many such positions but you sacrifice a normal life for it and I don't see that as a trade off I'd be happy with on my deathbed. Like most people I seek a comfortable balance.

If you have lost under the present rules of the game then why would you not try to circumvent the rules?

The reason some people believe some other people, sometimes, lie about their circumstances, physical or mental condition or about the characteristics of wider society - is because they literally have every incentive to do so.

Reactions: ShatteredHeart

·
Registered
5 Posts
Because they haven't experienced that sort of trauma, and when they have, they've had an abundant support circle to help them cope. People also tend to view others' failings as a result of personal choice and character, while they ascribe their own (and their loved ones') shortcomings to outside factors.

E.G: I failed my midterm cause I didn't have time to study, but that socially unpalatable kid in the corner failed cause he never pays attention in class.

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,502 Posts
What is a "normie"?

Reactions: Jewl

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I honestly think calling certain people "normies" is the most astoundingly arrogant thing I've ever heard. Especially when paired with labeling them something extreme without any basis, such as "psychotic."

Also psychosis = real mental health problem, not a label to just throw around when people irritate you.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
I really hate that term "normies."
You just don’t get it cuz you’re not edgey enough. :dry:

Mental health is not the norm, it is the exception.
Right?! I’m pretty sure that not having anxiety is a mental illness now.

And the cocauphanous cries of “ no one understands!” which they echo off each other is just another meme.

Having said that; this was definitley my school life. I was sick constantly because of the medication I take to not die. No one believed me.
Said medication smells awful and leaks through my pores.
So the students and teachers alike used to treat me really badly. The teachers would send home notes telling my parents to bath me even though I showered everday. Furthermore- fucking idiots, the meds smell like sulpher, B.O. does not.
When I insisted that it had nothing to do with hygene they decided I was just a bad kid. I ended up in the remedial classes for subjects where I did poorly enough to warrent an excuse and the res t just isolated me in the corner of the room, facing the wall.

It was pretty awful but I’m an adult now. I don’t need to rail against some ill-concieved notion of “ normalism” to make myself feel better. They were assholes, they should no t have been teachers most of them are probably dead now and I’m doing fine.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I see what you mean but you're kinda doing the same thing. I think people just assume that something they don't like and/or understand must be bad.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Sure people can lie, hurt and manipulate others but if you feel that then it’s important to just rise above it. Obviously there are very few people, if any, who are “free” from mental health issues here and there and some degree, even very small, of immorality. Perhaps some people do delude themselves that their actions are justified by constructing narratives or whatnot, but at the end of the day it’s all the same: rise above it.

Reactions: Fennel

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,465 Posts
There is plenty of research showing that trauma can biologically damage memory, ability to absorb information, concentration, etc. but when normies see someone struggling at school, they invent delusional stories about how someone doesn't care or doesn't want to put effort or whatever slogans they invent.

Maybe normies aren't normies at all but instead they are suffering from a form of mild psychosis that makes them experience delusions about other people?
they do that because a good percentage of normies actually don't care or don't want to put the effort and so the others are neither delusional nor pathological liars for believing that
also most people probably don't really know the research you mention
if you find yourself in that position, you can try and make them understand, because it's very likely they never knew someone else with those issues before

and your last sentence is actually pretty ironic cause you just did what you described...

·
Registered
347 Posts
If we were to take the MBTI categorizations as an example, with 16 of them, at equal weight distribution across a population, there would be a 6.25% chance for any individual to belong to any specific category. Of course, in practice, the distributions aren't equally weighted, and the percentages range from around 1% ~ 15%.

In any case, relative to any individual, it is fair to say that there are more types of people who think differently than who think similarly.

How then would you characterize 'normal'? - It seems like a rather ambiguous and generalized concept, making the validity of any definitive conclusions unlikely.

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,502 Posts
Normal person would not be labeled as a pathological liar
Pathological liar is a mental illness which is not “normal”
But a rare condition associated with OCD
I agree with vinniebob. Once you describe a person's condition as "pathological," that person is obviously not "normal," whatever "normal" may be. Also, I'm not sure who has the power to define what "normal" is.

Reactions: VinnieBob
1 - 20 of 31 Posts