Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm sure it's no secret that there seems to be a pattern in western culture in which characteristics associated with extroverted behavior are portrayed as more desirable. While people who have characteristics associated with introverted behavior are often considered "arrogant","stand offish", most introverts are also portrayed as "lonely people who can be fixed",". The only rhetoric that's consistently used to justify this as negative behavior seems to be, "well if you don't socialize then you'll be considered arrogant or stuck up" and "If you don't socialize more you'll be lonely".

Why does extroverted behavior continue to be considered something to strive for while introverted behavior is given a negative connotation? and why do people consistently use arguments that encourage a person to be social for everyone else's benefit or for the sake of the person being "fixed" in some way?

·
Banned
279 Posts
Social conditioning in America at its finest. Introversion used to be labeled as a disease like homosexuality and other ridiculous diagnosises.Parents actually took you to the doctor to get fixed. There's a book that dedicates a huge section to this topic. It's called "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking" by Susan Cain. Great book. Read it.

·
Banned
2,728 Posts
introversion can be healthy or unhealthy for an individual.

How far you wanna take it I suppose..

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Reason no1:
Extroverts think that introverts are weird/damaged/lonely/unhealthy.
Extroverts talk more than introverts.
Therefore, extroverts' opinion is heard and reproduced more. And we all have the impression that "people reject introverted behavior". It's just that all the introverts are quiet on the matter.

Reason no2:
“Man is by nature a social animal; an individual who is unsocial naturally and not accidentally is either beneath our notice or more than human. Society is something that precedes the individual. Anyone who either cannot lead the common life or is so self-sufficient as not to need to, and therefore does not partake of society, is either a beast or a god. ” Aristotle
Reason no3:
Work. Sadly, we all need to work. Most of us have to work alongside other people. Introverts don't thrive in work environments. There's the common belief that if you want to be successful, you have to be more extroverted. It's hard to get people to notice that you're good at something if you don't externalize it.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I would add one thing to what @antahon said: INTPs are, on the whole, a live and let live group of folks. If going to a crowded club where you have to scream into someone's ear from an inch away to be heard is what blows your hair back then have at it. We understand that what gives us joy is not necessarily what is going to give someone else joy.

The problem is that the populous at large is extremely narcissistic. Most people are so self-absorbed that they can't comprehend that what gives them pleasure and meaning doesn't do the same for everyone else. Introverts are not an exception, but they typically just don't say anything. On the other side you've got all these extroverts who think they are trying to be helpful when in reality they can't see past their own noses.

DURRRRR...this person isn't like me and doesn't do the things that give me pleasure therefore they must be unhappy...DURRRR...if I can just make them more like me then they'll be happier...DURRRR...aren't I such a wonderful person?

God damn it I hate that shit.

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
Extroversion is more profitable for business and more desirable in a capitalist economy. You can't make money off of introverts who spend the weekend by themselves watching a movie their illegally downloaded while eating the hamburger helper they made themselves. But you can make plenty of money off extroverts who absolutely need to socialize by going out drinking/partying every single weekend and hitting up McDonald number 4 at 5 in the morning for the rest of their lives until they die at age 47. In Capitalist culture, people are profit in can be calculated by time and energy spent consuming, and extroverts consume more than introverts.

A society that encourages introversion would be more self sustained and less consumer oriented. It would look something agricultural/farming with much less population density.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Introverts are harder to read, and Western culture emphasizes putting yourself out there. The two don't exactly go hand in hand. Or maybe extroverts realize they're missing out on all our lovely thoughts ;)

·
Banned
7,928 Posts
Reason no2:
“Man is by nature a social animal; an individual who is unsocial naturally and not accidentally is either beneath our notice or more than human. Society is something that precedes the individual. Anyone who either cannot lead the common life or is so self-sufficient as not to need to, and therefore does not partake of society, is either a beast or a god. ” Aristotle

TIL: I'm a god.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
It's easier to understand extroverts than it is to understand introverts. Extroverts are far more transparent, and far more common. Introverts keep things to themselves, and you can't always see what they're thinking. And sometimes this scares people. They notice we're different, and somewhere in their mind, we kind of freak them out because we're an unknown quantity.

Add to this the fact that introverts are far more introspective than extroverts as a general rule, and tend to understand how their minds and the minds of people around them work more than an extrovert normally would.

And when someone is visibly different and unknown, they tend to get diagnosed with "disorders." Like... ADD? ADHD? Are those really disorders, or just a variant? Do those "conditions" make life inherently more difficult, or is it just our cookie-cutter culture that makes everything difficult for them because we're so often so inflexible?

Sometimes it's hard to figure out what should and shouldn't be a "disorder," and people really screw up. Unfortunately, the reasons that those things were classified as disorders in the first place still hang around.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Too state it simply, people get happy by interaction with other people. Extroverts make people happier. Introverts don't. So it all comes to the fact that people are selfish.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Too state it simply, people get happy by interaction with other people. Extroverts make people happier. Introverts don't. So it all comes to the fact that people are selfish.
Extroverts make extroverts happier. Most of them actually annoy me. Where as an introverted person who will listen, think about conversation more than just blurted out what's on their mind and doesn't mind sitting in silence from time to time. I personally prefer introverts.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
@treschanna

I might agree with you, but you have not defined 'introverted behavior' very well.

If introverted behavior is arrogant, stand offish, anti-social, avoidant and self serving then that is hardly something to be encouraged. Not that I think 'introverted behavior' is all of that.

Well if you don't socialize enough then you'll be considered arrogant or stuck up" and "if you don't socialize more you'll be lonely."
Well yeah...

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
it's because of the bullshit salespeople culture, that the more extroverted you are the more stuff you can sell and manipulate others into buying it

western culture is thoroughly materialistic, nevermind your fellow man, nevermind decency, you want luxury, especially stuff your neighbour doesn't have, so you can brag about it

also, nobody cares how you make your fortune, tricked thousands into selling you their land for cheap? that's good american business

·
Banned
1,556 Posts
Actually the introversion you talk of is just a social affliction.

I personally am quite fine.

The extent of my social phobic traits goes about as far as 'unnecessary build-up of anxiety before a social event of any kind', but it's never any worse than that. I'm perfectly capable.

You may find things get/feel easier when you're a tad older. People do actually become a little less plastic when they reach proper adulthood.

Or maybe I just stopped worrying about the way everyone else sees me and just got in with my own life.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Extroverted behavior is healthier, actually. It produces more endorphins, higher dopamine levels and oxytocin when you socialize, which means that your immune system will be better, your heart rate and blood pressure lower, and you will feel happier. That's why it's important for natural introverts to make sure they socialize every day even if it's uncomfortable.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts