Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are people racist? Why does racism persist? (by racism, I mean judging by race, religion, creed, color of skin, nationality ...... )

I'm putting this in the ENFP forum - not psychology or what not- cuz I want to hear the reasons from the "People/People"- that is, ENFP. ;) (Of course- all types welcome to respond!)

So what gives?????

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Racism is a revolving circle. Until all cultures stop spreading subjective messages to their kids, we will continue living in a racist world. Kids learn what they are taught, so we can't really blame kids for their ignorance. Money, greed and power play a huge roll in our society in terms of racism. People blame other people, Countries blame each other, companies business and corporations pass blame. So the wheels on the bus goes round and round. The only thing we can do is stop the cycle and not engage in this kind of " Mind think, group think " with our kids and so on. I won't live to see it subsided, this effort has to be made by all cultures and nations. We're just a very small portion of that. The most i can hope and strive for is not having it part of my personal life, or the lives around me.

·
Registered
430 Posts
People are racist because they are taught to be racist.
Remember kids the color of your skin is a good indicator of who and what you will grow up to be.

I mean, Everybody knows that all black people are murderous, criminal, gang-banging, victim-complex owning, monsters who live in ghettos and prisons.
Black policemen, professors, politicians, CIVIL RIGHTS ACTIVIST(S), and all other manner of decidedly good people are just anomalies, right? Right? RIGHT?! *gasps* BY THE GOD(S)! There is only ONE species of the human genus alive on earth right now?! WHAAAAAAAAAT?! What about Homo Sapiens Blackius, or Homo Sapiens Whitius, or Homo Sapiens Hyspanicus....

Whenever I think of racism my brain starts to hurt. How can people be so stupid to think that skin color has any effect what so ever on someone.

·
His Majesty
12,625 Posts
People are racist because they are taught to be racist.
Remember kids the color of your skin is a good indicator of who and what you will grow up to be.

I mean, Everybody knows that all black people are murderous, criminal, gang-banging, victim-complex owning, monsters who live in ghettos and prisons.
Black policemen, professors, politicians, CIVIL RIGHTS ACTIVIST(S), and all other manner of decidedly good people are just anomalies, right? Right? RIGHT?! *gasps* BY THE GOD(S)! There is only ONE species of the human genus alive on earth right now?! WHAAAAAAAAAT?! What about Homo Sapiens Blackius, or Homo Sapiens Whitius, or Homo Sapiens Hyspanicus....

Whenever I think of racism my brain starts to hurt. How can people be so stupid to think that skin color has any effect what so ever on someone.
Whethere there are white jerks or black jerks they are still..... you guessed it, JERKS. But let's look at the beauty of different races. Let's turn this thread around. I love the way asians and white europeans look. It's so beautiful! And hispanics? OMG! Hott!

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Whethere there are white jerks or black jerks they are still..... you guessed it, JERKS. But let's look at the beauty of different races. Let's turn this thread around. I love the way asians and white europeans look. It's so beautiful! And hispanics? OMG! Hott!
I think this is interesting because i've been called a racist in the past for not thinking Asians or hispanices to be attractive. Now of course it has nothing to do with being racist, i'm just not mentally/sexually physically attracted to this culture on a romantic level. So its a catch 22, people will always find a way to believe there is racism where there is none, sigh:/

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good ENFP point of turning it around and saying great things about different cultures and races. Love that. :)

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
It's probably becaue humans have evolved in small groups in competition with other groups. That way in- and outgroups have become part of our nature. If it isn't racism it's religion, political view or just about anything that sets one group apart from another.

There are several studies that have linked Right-Wing Authoritarianism (RWA) with Conscientiousness but far from all RWAs are racist.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
They have not been educated. There is nothing for them to feel better about themselves so they attach themselves to groups. Some of these groups are based on blood ties which is worse. It's extremely limited by birth. It has little to do with what a person becomes in life. Which is good for them, because they worked to become nothing. Like I've said, they use racism to feel better about themselves, rather than the path to enlightenment and knowledge. It's lazy and simple minded. "I'm better than you, only because of my birth. I've worked to achieve nothing but I'm better than you because my blood relations make me better than you." Puhleese. :rolleyes:

They have little else to hang on to. Most of them I can't hold a conversation with because they usually find my "big words" intimidating.

Reactions: Laguna

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
It's a vicious cycle of what one is taught and ignorance.

There's so much misunderstanding in this world. I can, at least, partially blame the media for this. They promote stereotypes, which promote "All or nothing" thinking-which, in turn, leads to prejudice which leads to beliefs and behaviors being displayed which leads to those beliefs and behaviors being transmitted.

To me, it's almost like people don't think others have a soul, or insides. We're all so caught up on appearances; anyone who looks different than what society deems "normal" is "abnormal" and then; all the thoughts, feelings and such that come from being abnormal. I feel so lucky that I was born with a genetic disorder- it helped to teach me from a young age that people are born the way they are- they had no control over the color of their skin, hair, eyes or the religion they were brought up in. It taught me that we were all the same and that differences are not to be feared, but embraced.

I don't think I'll ever fully understand people who aren't able to look outside themselves and spread hate- we're all the same in our differences.

Reactions: Ntuitive

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,504 Posts
Race may or may not exist biologically. That is a subject under debate: NOVA | Does Race Exist?
For sure, racism exists. It exists because power exists. People in power don't want to be tossed out of power. They want to maintain their position. So they use the divide and conquer concept. If people are too busy attacking each other, then there is no threat to the power structure. Race is a good divider. It is obvious when people are of different races. It makes it easy for the power structure to maintain its grip on its population.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
They have not been educated. There is nothing for them to feel better about themselves so they attach themselves to groups. Some of these groups are based on blood ties which is worse. It's extremely limited by birth. It has little to do with what a person becomes in life. Which is good for them, because they worked to become nothing. Like I've said, they use racism to feel better about themselves, rather than the path to enlightenment and knowledge. It's lazy and simple minded. "I'm better than you, only because of my birth. I've worked to achieve nothing but I'm better than you because my blood relations make me better than you." Puhleese. :rolleyes:

They have little else to hang on to. Most of them I can't hold a conversation with because they usually find my "big words" intimidating.
What you are seeing is lack of social conformity rather than racism. In times when racism was publicly accepted lots of highly educated people were all for it.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
What you are seeing is lack of social conformity rather than racism. In times when racism was publicly accepted lots of highly educated people were all for it.
I don't believe identifying with certain groups based on blood, has done much for our world. The "new higher race" has caused many deaths and it has forced people into oppression simply because of how they were born.

And what years are you speaking of when race was highly accepted? I wonder if it was during the same years I was picked on every day I went to school. Hmm..

·
Registered
134 Posts
Some people are afraid of what is different from themselves, but others honestly believe they are better than others. Some because of hardships their ancestors have gone through, and so feel being "victims" gives them right to view themselves as superior, and take racial pride to extremes, others because they really feel that their race is just born superior. But mostly regardless of the reason why, it comes down to how people are raised. They are given messages, either subliminally or otherwise, and they base their opinions on those. Thats not an excuse, eventually everyone has to make up their own mind, review facts and decide for themselves what the right thing is, but more often then not, they just go with what they've been taught.

·
Banned
1,257 Posts
It really comes down to different cultures and not skin. People are afraid of a culture where they don't have a grasp on the accepted protocol of how to act. Especially American culture is really bent on stuff like this.

Think of "Token" from Southpark.

And ignorance tends to transcend race. I don't like ignorant people and that includes people of all colors and genders.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I don't believe identifying with certain groups based on blood, has done much for our world. The "new higher race" has caused many deaths and it has forced people into oppression simply because of how they were born.

And what years are you speaking of when race was highly accepted? I wonder if it was during the same years I was picked on every day I went to school. Hmm..
Racism has been socially acceptable up until the 1940s or 1950s in many Western countries. Even today antisemitism is acceptable in many Muslim countries.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
There's ignorance based on outdated cultural notions that are being treated like traditions instead of as old-fashioned as the concept of pattens (heels women wore on their shoes to keep their skirts from getting wet in the rain or while cleaning)...

There's hatred based on deep-rooted pain and psychosis... Someone who's been abused or neglected or otherwise mistreated is more inclined to misdirect their rage into unrelated areas.

There's real evil....sociopathic psychopaths who were not created by abuse or neglect, but exist for whatever reason. These people get a sick thrill out causing harm, and not all of them are crazy enough to be murderers. Some just latch onto a vulnerability of humanity and stab at it. It gives them a sense of power and control that they might otherwise lack.

And there are some well-meaning individuals who don't understand social norms and niceties when it comes to discovery.... They seem to have legitimate questions about the differences between races and whether that means anything. They are much like the Russian scientists who wanted to see what would happen if they sewed 2 dogs together. >.> In some bizarre way, you can almost see the point......but kind of seems more like a tangent than an actual attempt at understanding.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Racism has been socially acceptable up until the 1940s or 1950s in many Western countries. Even today antisemitism is acceptable in many Muslim countries.
I read your post incorrectly and saw "race" as opposed to "racism."

Racism has happened due to too much social conformity. It has lead to fascism.

By educated, I mean the learning process in which one defines their values and becomes autonomous and from that recognizes other's autonomy. And taking responsibility based on that knowledge.

When it comes to racism, I think we are dealing with many people who have not challenged themselves to see and learn outside their own perspectives. They have exposed themselves to little beyond their own world. They have remained in the safe haven to only have the same beliefs since they were young. Obviously an education that can provide the necessary challenges can help a person's growth and tolerance.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When it comes to racism, I think we are dealing with many people who have not challenged themselves to see and learn outside their own perspectives. They have exposed themselves to little beyond their own world. They have remained in the safe haven to only have the same beliefs since they were young.
I agree with this. And politicians take advantage of this by instigating this population by stoking their already inherent fears ... so that they may USE them for their VOTES. It's sickening.

Reactions: pinkrasputin
1 - 20 of 45 Posts