Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's put this simply. I'm a Caucasian guy who listens to rock music, wears polo shirts and jeans, hangs out at Starbucks with a kindle when I'm bored, and is obsessed with Lord of The Rings. I'm an INTP, and I enjoy reading philosophy, literature, and any other broad intellectual topic. These things I did LONG before I was aware of my type, so you can't say that it's simply a result of my own obsession with MBTI. There are a lot of stereotypes there, but I hardly even notice them, and they don't bother me in the least. Why are people so terrified of being associated with something other than complete individuality?

·
Registered
161 Posts
You took the words right out of my head. Stereotypes are there for a reason..except it people!

I think it's because some people get stereotyped as something they're not proud of, or because THAT stereotype is not looked at as "cool". Possibly just very insecure?

I love,
Science fiction
Lord of the Rings
MBTI
Ideas that make my head want to explode, and
Good music. Which could be anything from Barbra Streisand to Postal Service.

I'm very confident in what I like because...well, why not? Either you'll be confident in who you are, and what makes you, you. Or you'll try to "fix" yourself for everyone around you, or society. Been there, done that. No thanks.

*finishes rant* That felt good.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The only time I'd care about being stereotyped is when it'd hinder communication between me and someone else. If someone happened to find out that I was an ISFJ and immediately believed particular negative stereotypes, e.g. that we're doormats, and let that stereotype prevent them from getting to know me, I'd be pretty damn mad that stereotypes existed in the first place.

But people do need to realise their usefulness - I suppose that the average individual's understanding of MBTI is derived from, in essence, stereotypes that come from explanations of the dichotomies and cognitive functions involved.

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
It was a great relief to me actually when I discovered my type and that it wasn't all just my complete uniqueness. Because.. I guess because I have a lot of weird things about me and I was focusing on them. Then when I found and read about my type I was like ohhhh so I really AM good at those things. It really helped put me in my place.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Because it's dehumanizing. I'm not given the ability to express who I am. People simply throw a label on me, from a few seconds of looking at what's at the surface, and assume that's more than enough. I'm no longer me in their eyes. I'm some(mostly negative) image that they saw on tv, or read about for five minutes in their favorite online news source. This way of thinking leads to all kinds of negative crap being shoved in my direction. It's annoying to deal with.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
Let's put this simply. I'm a Caucasian guy who listens to rock music, wears polo shirts and jeans, hangs out at Starbucks with a kindle when I'm bored, and is obsessed with Lord of The Rings. I'm an INTP, and I enjoy reading philosophy, literature, and any other broad intellectual topic. These things I did LONG before I was aware of my type, so you can't say that it's simply a result of my own obsession with MBTI. There are a lot of stereotypes there, but I hardly even notice them, and they don't bother me in the least. Why are people so terrified of being associated with something other than complete individuality?
You don't find your stereotype insulting or limiting. So it's hard for you to understand.

No one is terrified of stereotypes. Why the hyperbole?

Reactions: Bluity

·
Registered
652 Posts
Because it has become a stigma to be prejudices. It's a word often used for manipulation especially in politics. Easily dismissing opposition with ' You don't agree with me? You're just prejudiced.'

·
Banned
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You don't find your stereotype insulting or limiting. So it's hard for you to understand.

No one is terrified of stereotypes. Why the hyperbole?
My reason for using that term is because whenever people think that they are being stereotyped, they completely lose their minds. For example, a little girl's birthday is coming up, but it's a surprise party, therefore, you are incapable of asking her what she wants. And so you decide on a normal girl's present, such as a doll or a skip-rope. But when you present the gift, her parents get offended and throw you out of the party because you "stereotyped" their daughter. It really IS that bad in some cases

·
Registered
448 Posts
My reason for using that term is because whenever people think that they are being stereotyped, they completely lose their minds. For example, a little girl's birthday is coming up, but it's a surprise party, therefore, you are incapable of asking her what she wants. And so you decide on a normal girl's present, such as a doll or a skip-rope. But when you present the gift, her parents get offended and throw you out of the party because you "stereotyped" their daughter. It really IS that bad in some cases
Are you making shit up?

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
Because it's dehumanizing. I'm not given the ability to express who I am. People simply throw a label on me, from a few seconds of looking at what's at the surface, and assume that's more than enough. I'm no longer me in their eyes. I'm some(mostly negative) image that they saw on tv, or read about for five minutes in their favorite online news source. This way of thinking leads to all kinds of negative crap being shoved in my direction. It's annoying to deal with.
Who throws a label on you? And what label? How are they coming to their conclusion?

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
That sort of reaction is rare.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Who throws a label on you? And what label? How are they coming to their conclusion?
People from all sexes, sexual orientations, races, classes, cultures, and economic backgrounds. Typically peope within my generation, simply because Ive dealt with them the most. I "look" Arab, despite being Indian, Danish, English, Saudi Arabian, Pakistani, and Mongolian. By my looks alone, I've had people assume that I'm misogynistic, Anti-Semitic, hateful towards Caucasians, hateful towards Christians, hateful towards the United States, and homophobic. They had put these labels on me despite me being very supportive of women, me being an athiest who is accepting of people of faith, me being bisexual, me being an American citizen by choice, me having the only close relationship with an educator with a man who happens to be Jewish, and me having a best friend, exes, aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandmother who are Caucasian. Even when a part of me is revealed, more labels simply seem to manifest. I reveal myself to be a bisexual, I have people label me as a person of weak moral character or someone who is out to make it harder for the gay community. I reveal myself to be an athiest, I have had people label me as someone who worships evil or someone who will do anything, no matter how vile. I don't know why they label me as they have. I think it's simpy out of convenience. Taking the time to know someone is hard. It's a lot easier to judge someone by what you've been fed as a youth.

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
People from all sexes, sexual orientations, races, classes, cultures, and economic backgrounds. Typically peope within my generation, simply because Ive dealt with them the most. I "look" Arab, despite being Indian, Danish, English, Saudi Arabian, Pakistani, and Mongolian. By my looks alone, I've had people assume that I'm misogynistic, Anti-Semitic, hateful towards Caucasians, hateful towards Christians, hateful towards the United States, and homophobic. They had put these labels on me despite me being very supportive of women, me being an athiest who is accepting of people of faith, me being bisexual, me being an American citizen by choice, me having the only close relationship with an educator with a man who happens to be Jewish, and me having a best friend, exes, aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandmother who are Caucasian. Even when a part of me is revealed, more labels simply seem to manifest. I reveal myself to be a bisexual, I have people label me as a person of weak moral character or someone who is out to make it harder for the gay community. I reveal myself to be an athiest, I have had people label me as someone who worships evil or someone who will do anything, no matter how vile. I don't know why they label me as they have. I think it's simpy out of convenience. Taking the time to know someone is hard. It's a lot easier to judge someone by what you've been fed as a youth.
Wow, well I'm sorry people have been so rough on you. I guess we all have lives that are rough in one way or another. People make my life hard too.

I can personally say that I just do not understand why someone would stereotype someone like that. I would never care at all about any of those things! The only thing I can come up with is that a large portion of the world's population is just stupid ;)

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think some stereotypes make sense - MBTI does indicate what your personality is like, after all - but when it gets to the point where certain types are stereotyped as negative caricatures, it starts to seem like discrimination.

Reactions: Gables and monemi

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Wow, well I'm sorry people have been so rough on you. I guess we all have lives that are rough in one way or another. People make my life hard too.

I can personally say that I just do not understand why someone would stereotype someone like that. I would never care at all about any of those things! The only thing I can come up with is that a large portion of the world's population is just stupid ;)
You don't have to be sorry, my good man. You did nothing wrong, so don't feel you need to shoulder the misdeeds of others. Sure, I've been through things, but despite all that, my life is pretty rockin'. Many smiles on my end of things. Hopefully, it later becomes the same for you. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts